Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advice for upgrading GPU please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Advice for upgrading GPU please?

Ventonix
11.24.2013 , 05:04 AM | #1
-------------------------------------------
My current rig

i5 2500 @ 3.30GHz (cannot overclock)
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
8 GB RAM
Windows 7

My FPS

Warzones - 20 to 40
Fleet - 50ish
Anywhere else - 50 to 70
I'm one of those people who freak out about their FPS and it really bothers me when I get drops. I only find myself fully enjoying the game when it is smooth and 70+ as snobby as that sounds. For the record I've tried basically every combination of graphics settings but to no avail. I'm looking at upgrading either my CPU or my graphics card but so far I'm thinking its the GPU that's the problem.

It's always when there are a bunch of people around when it drops obviously. Firstly, is it even possible on ANY rig to stay at 70 FPS in warzones and fleet without major drops? I know the game itself is poorly optimized but still!

Could anyone give me suggestions on possibly what GPU to get? For example will I see a NOTICEABLE difference in FPS if I dish out 200 dollars for a new card compared to my current AMD 6850?

What I'm currently looking at (I welcome other suggestions please!):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127685
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...25&ignorebbr=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...28&ignorebbr=1

Thanks
Valkyrev Level 55 Commando
The Bastion

Mcadamsl
11.24.2013 , 06:51 AM | #2
before you order a 200 or more card upgrade, check your power supply and motherboard,

all three of those cards you linked are 500 Watts min to run and Does your mother board run PCI 2.0 or 3.0 you can use the cards in 2.0 slots but you may not get up to their full bench marks.

That and also because I knew a guy once that did this if you have a pre built system, that there is room for the card , A lot of mini towers you just can't fit a 9 to 10 inch card into them,

JymmyMorison
11.24.2013 , 07:05 AM | #3
you are being bottlenecked by your cpu in warzones a new gpu wont help there, it will only increase your maximum fps since your cpu will still be the same

JymmyMorison
11.24.2013 , 07:07 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Mcadamsl View Post

Does your mother board run PCI 2.0 or 3.0 you can use the cards in 2.0 slots but you may not get up to their full bench marks.
pcie2.0 is yet to be fully saturated not to mention 3.0, there is not a single gpu on the market that wuld benefit from pcie3.0 vs pcie 2.0

AMightyKnight
11.24.2013 , 07:16 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventonix View Post
My current rig

i5 2500 @ 3.30GHz (cannot overclock)
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Your GPU is bad compared to the stuff you linked but if you upgrade it you'll just run into your CPU. So upgrading your GPU should help some but without a new CPU i doubt you would benefit from its full potential.
If you want to upgrade your CPU you are basically looking at buying a completely knew system since the i5-2500 uses a LGA1155 socket which is two generations out of date and has no future.
Benaiah Abihail @T3M4 Ahdino Abishai
Gladio vivere, fusil perire!
KotFE 10/2015: RIP Endgame /unsubbed 02/16

migeto
11.24.2013 , 09:06 AM | #6
OP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...28&ignorebbr=1
I have this card and it's great. Bought it the day newegg slapped on their early black friday deals
Toons:
Imp: migeto lvl 48 Maur, Iokii lvl 50 Sorcerer, Lonna lvl 55 Sniper
Rep: Miggyy lvl 38 Trooper, Metrik lvl 12 Jedi, Lady-GahGah 23 Knight
The Laufeyson Legacy

translucentwolf
11.24.2013 , 10:54 AM | #7
Hrm. an i5 should be fine. I use a phenom ii x4 3.4ghz, and an xfx 6950 (2 gb) amd card. These are just below 'top of the line' items, from *several years ago*, and I never have any issues in PvP, or open world settings. I have seen the usual stutter, slow load of email objects, etc. on Fleet, when we get past a 100 or so people. Assuming your drivers are up to date, and you're not running a ton of crap in the background, any of the card you listed ( and several cheaper ones as well ) should be more than enough.

tl/dr Any modern card costing ~200 bucks, paired with an modern intel quad core is going to do just fine in this game.
That which does not kill you merely postpones the inevitable.

Ventonix
11.24.2013 , 04:32 PM | #8
My motherboard is an ASUS P8Z68-V LX if that means anything. I'm not too familiar with motherboards. Any suggestions? Buy a whole new computer? lol

Btw my power supply should be fine. It is 750W.
Valkyrev Level 55 Commando
The Bastion

psikofunkster
11.24.2013 , 08:19 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AMightyKnight View Post
If you want to upgrade your CPU you are basically looking at buying a completely knew system since the i5-2500 uses a LGA1155 socket which is two generations out of date and has no future.
Nahh i disagree, although effectively the socket LFGA 1155 is two generations back, last year processors like the i7 3770k are compatible with that socket.

So.. unless he wants to buy the top notch machine i7 4770k he will need to change his whole machine but that would be an exaggeration you don't need a top year machine to run this game.

Personally i think a new cpu is not gonna improve your pvp experience for example, i mean, you know, this is swtor, a new cpu can perform miracle.s

what about improving your internet speed? how much is your lag to your server?

dakisback
11.24.2013 , 10:46 PM | #10
This game is pretty poorly optimized any upgrades you get aren't going to do much for your FPS.

I have an i7 3770k and a GTX 680 4GB I run at 2560x1440 and sometimes even my framerate drops into the 30's in warzones.
DakisbackMarkmanship Sniper Dakisbehindyou[AMR]Lethality Operative DakiscatImmortal Juggernaut Dakisaheadofyou Darkness Assassin
<The Revenant>
The Shadowlands