Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Take a page out of WoW's books

LukeTheGeek
11.23.2013 , 07:47 PM | #1
Let's face it guys, ninja looting is an absolute pain in the a**e. One simple way to help (help not completely solve) is to introduce a gear looting system similar to endgame WoW. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept I shall outline it:
A character can only need on an item if it's armour type and stats match up with their character. For example a Sentinal/Marauder can need on medium strength armour because that is what it needs. A Guardian/Jugg could not however because they use heavy armour.

The idea behind it is to stop captain buttface who, for our example, is a sorc dps, needing on medium/heavy items or double bladed sabres/guns or even strength based single blade sabres as they are not of direct use.

Just curious as to what people's opinions on a loot system would be, although I'm clueless as to how they would allow need/greed for craft supplies like MMGs

Jeweledleah
11.23.2013 , 08:35 PM | #2
if they do something like that, it has to work off main stat, NOT armor rating.

why? because it doesn't matter if that strength armoring and mod is in medium or heavy shell. both jugg and marauder can pull it out, put it in their existing orange shell and get EXACT same benefit out of it.

same with lightsabers. that dual bladed dps lightsaber for an assassin works perfectly well for a single blade using sorc.

becasue see, this is not wow. gearing works differently here. and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement a system like that.

RikuvonDrake
11.23.2013 , 08:58 PM | #3
Probably the most stupid suggestion regarding how to solve ninja looting so far into the game, a guardian can use the armoring and mod in a medium armor piece just as a sentinel, and then if none of them needs it and, for example, a sage healer can use the enhancements in the item and should be able to need on it if none of the previous two wants the item. Just as you claim, you are totally clueless when it comes to possible loot systems to solve ninja looting and I think that if bioware will introduce a system, then should look at your system and make the total opposite.

I think that the current system is very nice, it's only 69 gear that drops in flashpoints and they are very bad and you are able to get Elite and Ultimate commendations very fast that makes you able to buy both Underworld and Dread Forged gear without much issues.
Dread Master - Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rebel Dream | Riku
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Gaudrath
11.24.2013 , 03:11 AM | #4
Or... they could copy GW2 - there are no drops from bosses in OPS, just operation specific tokens. Get enough of them (pretty much requiring that you run them an average number of times you'd run anyway), go to the OPS specific vendor and buy the items you want.

No looting. No hassle. Everyone gets exactly what they want or need for the same amount of time and effort invested as in the current system.

Problem solved.

MaximusRex
11.24.2013 , 04:20 AM | #5
Or copy LOTRO, all loot is individual, no rolling for anything, and looting is automatic, the mob dies, you get loot in your bag.

Gaudrath
11.24.2013 , 04:23 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
Or copy LOTRO, all loot is individual, no rolling for anything, and looting is automatic, the mob dies, you get loot in your bag.
The only issue with that model is that any loot that's not BoP gets devalued really fast, since instead of one copy you create 8-16 copies.

I like the token system more because it gives the players control over what they get. No random chance or drops involved, earn your tokens and buy your gear.

AlrikFassbauer
11.24.2013 , 05:52 AM | #7
In my first 2 OPs, I found that sometimes people don't "need" things. The leader was giving it away randomly, then.

I found this way very nice, because everyone has a chance to get it, then.

I think "greed" was turned off. I'm new to this way of dealing with loot, so I don't have the exact terms at hand.
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Redfiree
11.24.2013 , 08:56 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
In my first 2 OPs, I found that sometimes people don't "need" things. The leader was giving it away randomly, then.

I found this way very nice, because everyone has a chance to get it, then.

I think "greed" was turned off. I'm new to this way of dealing with loot, so I don't have the exact terms at hand.
Your leader was using master looter. It does prevent ninja looting (Unless the leader is the ninja looter, then it gets a lot worse.) but it also slows down the operation a lot. There are pros and cons to both systems.

Redfiree
11.24.2013 , 08:58 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaudrath View Post
Or... they could copy GW2 - there are no drops from bosses in OPS, just operation specific tokens. Get enough of them (pretty much requiring that you run them an average number of times you'd run anyway), go to the OPS specific vendor and buy the items you want.

No looting. No hassle. Everyone gets exactly what they want or need for the same amount of time and effort invested as in the current system.

Problem solved.
Wow! That is an awesome idea! They should call them commendation, yes, I think that would be a good name for them. I am surprised Bioware didn't come up with that idea already, oh, wait, they did.

Gaudrath
11.24.2013 , 10:30 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Redfiree View Post
Wow! That is an awesome idea! They should call them commendation, yes, I think that would be a good name for them. I am surprised Bioware didn't come up with that idea already, oh, wait, they did.
Do I see people complaining about ninja looting? Why yes, yes I do!

Guess Bioware biofailed again. Happens when you can't decide on what your game should be.

Throw out item drops from bosses altogether. Make ops bosses and rewards provide ops specific tokens ONLY, to all players equally. Place ops specific vendors with ops specific gear in the game.

That's a token system, not this mutated thing they have now.