Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help with some of the jargon

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Help with some of the jargon

xxxquarkxxx
11.15.2013 , 10:15 PM | #1
Hi, I've been playing a while but some of the acronyms and jargon that are used in the chat windows and posts here are baffling me. Is there a dictionary of some sort to reference?

For example, DPS? I take it this means damage per second, but the way it is used in sentences makes me think I might be wrong.

Tanks and/or Tanking? A well armored, but slow character?

Mobs? (I thought this meant large crowds of people, but apparently it means only one?)

There are many more, but you get the gist. Thanks in advance for your help.

NicAX
11.15.2013 , 10:36 PM | #2
DPS does stand for damage per second although is more commonly used to identify a damage dealing role, class or player.

EG: "Looking for 3 more DPS for..." means they are looking for 3 more players to fill the damage dealing role.

Tank also refers to a role, class or player that has very high defensive abilities and should be taking most of the damage and focus of enemies. Tanks do not have a reduced movement speed and can be very maneuverable although are not as mobile as some other classes.

Mobs means groups of enemies, either players or NPCs (non player characters). Mobs can also be used as a term for a single or group of weaker enemies that usually do not grant large rewards, another term for this is "trash" or "trash mobs".

theStirge
11.16.2013 , 06:16 AM | #3
Using the term "mob" to refer to enemies is a holdover from MUD's(Multi-User Dungeons), the text-based precursors of MMOG's. It's short for "mobile", used to refer to any object that moved itself(as opposed to being moved by players), mostly enemies but also friendly NPC's.
The n'Sappho Legacy, The Harbinger
Zel'eena, 55 Combat Sentinel
Eleeta, 55 Medic Operative; Fer'eerra, 55 Lightning Sorcerer
All Chiss, all the time, all day, forever.

Little_Judas
11.16.2013 , 07:10 AM | #4
I had the same problem in the beginning, it took a while before I got the whole "LF" and all the similar ones to it.

Though I have a question here myself, what is a "PUG"?
It isn't being used in a positive way, I know that much, but what does it mean?

Count_Haake
11.16.2013 , 07:26 AM | #5
PUG = Pick-up Group

A randomly created group where you can't expect any well-coordinated play. Often used in a more or less derogative way by elitist guild players, though not exclusively and also not completely unjustified ;-)

xxxquarkxxx
11.16.2013 , 08:56 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Little_Judas View Post
I had the same problem in the beginning, it took a while before I got the whole "LF" and all the similar ones to it.
What is LF?

Thanks everyone for the responses, but there are many more terms I don't understand. Is there an online index or dictionary of some sort?

Ridickilis
11.16.2013 , 09:25 AM | #7
Usually LF means, "looking for". LFG, looking for group. LF1M, looking for one more; etc.

Other stuffs you'll see, such as WTB or WTS are willing (want) to buy / willing (want) to sell.

I find putting the acronyms into google along with "in MMO's" helps. Places such as Urban Dictionary usually shows up at the top of the search and will have a good answer.

Kensel
11.16.2013 , 10:01 AM | #8
The link below has a pretty good list of common acronyms for mmos. The site is an eso fansite, but the acronyms fit for the most part.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/glos...-and-acronyms/

EranofArcadia
11.16.2013 , 10:10 AM | #9
While we are at it, what exactly are "mezzes" and "procs"?

Count_Haake
11.16.2013 , 10:29 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by EranofArcadia View Post
While we are at it, what exactly are "mezzes" and "procs"?
No idea what "mezzes" could stand for, "proc/s" can either be a noun or a verb. Refers to either abilities that activate or have effects with a certain probability. For example: my mercenary's Seeker Missile has a certain probability to reset the cooldown of Discharge. If that happens it is said that Discharge has procced (however people write it).