Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I want my name restored NOW.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
I want my name restored NOW.

Terin
11.14.2013 , 02:58 PM | #1
I pre-ordered the CE purely for early-access so that I could reserve my name, "Terin". It was a name I cherished, until several MANDATORY server-merges rendered me unable to keep the name.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of asking. I want my name back.

I play on the Jedi Covenant server, and unless you can verify that the person who currently holds the name "Terin" also pre-ordered the CE, for the extra early-access time, and has also been using the name Terin since launch, then I see no reason I should have to "get used" to having a crappy, placeholder name.

My Legacy-Name is "Gigaslash", because as a kid, "Terin Gigaslash" was the I came up with for my made-up Star Wars character. It may sound like a stupid name, but as an adult, it means something to me, as I've had it (and been teased about its stupidity) for years now. People know me as "Terin", and even on the SWTOR, as you can plainly see, I am known as Terin.

I'm sorry if I come across as snappy, but this is an issue that is very close to my heart, and being forced out of my name has hindered my entire experience with the game. The circumstances that lead to me losing the name were neither fair, nor reasonable (and I'm not entirely sure legal). All I want is to have the name that I reserved the game for, that I've used for years, ever since I was a child.

Please; make this right.

Tatile
11.14.2013 , 03:01 PM | #2
Well, have you tried speaking to the owner of "Terin" on Jedi Covenant? Because if they're active, Bioware won't take the name away from them.

Terin
11.14.2013 , 03:28 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Well, have you tried speaking to the owner of "Terin" on Jedi Covenant? Because if they're active, Bioware won't take the name away from them.
I have, for quite some time. I have never once seen the player online. I don't know how the name wasn't purged, but I have been on at all sorts of hours, day and night, and never once seen a person online. I've also regularly asked in General-chat, and nobody knows who has the name, either.

oofalong
11.14.2013 , 04:01 PM | #4
Did you try sending the player an in-game mail?
The Shadowlands <The Chandrian>
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
You are correct Oofalong.

Terin
11.14.2013 , 05:26 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by oofalong View Post
Did you try sending the player an in-game mail?
Sadly, yes. On numerous occasions. No luck there, either. And like I said, I frequently ask around, to see if anybody knows whose character it is, just in case it was an alt or something. Either the person chose not to respond, or they've stopped playing the game but have kept their subscription, is all I can figure.

Either way, I feel like this warrants BioWare investigating the issue.

Tatile
11.14.2013 , 05:30 PM | #6
Well, what level is the character?

Terin
11.14.2013 , 05:36 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Well, what level is the character?
I have no clue. I've added the character to my friends-list, but it has never shown the level -- I presume because the character has never logged-on since the merges happened. I really just don't know.

Is there some other method to check?

Tatile
11.14.2013 , 05:39 PM | #8
Not really, no.

But honestly? I don't think Bioware's going to take the name from active, subbing, account and give it to.

Xanatex
11.14.2013 , 05:44 PM | #9
Although I'm not sure if Bioware will do something if it's a sub account, I completely see where you are coming from. I've used the name Xanatex since pen/paper D&D, and if I lost it it would really bother me. There are ways to contact Bioware about stuff like this; have you tried using one of their official emails? It's not a normal issue, so you may be able to get further with communication then with a forum post or ticket. Anyways, I wish you luck.
Also, I think Terin is a great name.
"The Jedi allow the Force to direct them, the Sith direct the Force." -Revenge of the Sith

MajikMyst
11.14.2013 , 06:47 PM | #10
I love threads with titles like these.. They are always ignored by Bioware.. As they should be..

As for your name?? They have already recycled some names.. If that wasn't one of them then sorry.. You are no more entitled to a name than anyone else.. It is utterly absurd for you to demand a name be taken from someone else so that you can use it.. Sever merge or not.. Let's keep our priorities straight.. Names for MMO characters are not important.. You can make up a new one..

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco
I wanted to clear up how the Name Renewal will work to alleviate any concerns that you have. You are obviously a subscriber right now, this means that even if you unsubscribe today, you will be completely unaffected. The reason is that you would then become a preferred status player. Preferred players are completely unaffected as long as they logged in to those specific characters within the last 90 days. Being how the name renewal is next week, that is far less than 90 days

Here are the exact rules for Character Name Renewal:

If you are a Free-to-Play player:•If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
•If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
•Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.
If you are a Preferred Status player:•If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename
•If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
•Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.
If you are or become a Subscriber:•You will be unaffected by this
As of right now this is a one time name renewal, so if you are unaffected on the 12th then you will not have to follow these rules unless we do a renewal again at a later date. Of course if we do that we will notify players of it so they can save their names.

TLDR - Nope, you are completely unaffected by this (except that some names might open up that you want!)
That is what they did, and that is all they were going to do.. Have a nice day..

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php?page=2
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.