Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any LGBT guilds on Harbinger?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Any LGBT guilds on Harbinger?

Malchan
10.29.2013 , 04:56 PM | #1
I learned recently that many other servers have them and wanted to know if any of them exist on Harbinger. If none exist that are active I'm willing to create one for the LGBT community and allies.

chuixupu
10.29.2013 , 05:10 PM | #2
I know there is Taint (Empire) and Rough Trade (Republic), but I don't know how active they are these days.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

slafko
10.30.2013 , 01:29 AM | #3
May I ask the point behind these guilds?

slafko
10.30.2013 , 01:34 AM | #4
What agenda?

Xeraz
10.30.2013 , 01:48 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
What agenda?
To promote an ideology and exclusively reject those who disagree.

(The rejection is implied. Otherwise the significance of providing the guild a purpose/title, such as "a LGBT guild", would not be relevant since it would be inclusive to LGBT and non-LGBT members. Thus making it like every other guild)

It's cool though, I'm already well familiar with the double standard placed on "tolerance." Thus the reason for my previous question.
"Who I am is not important, my message is."

chuixupu
10.30.2013 , 02:00 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeraz View Post
To promote an ideology and exclusively reject those who disagree.

(The rejection is implied. Otherwise the significance of providing the guild a purpose/title, such as "a LGBT guild", would not be relevant since it would be inclusive to LGBT and non-LGBT members. Thus making it like every other guild)

It's cool though, I'm already well familiar with the double standard placed on "tolerance." Thus the reason for my previous question.
Actually no. I've played with many people from Taint on this server and back on WoW for many years, they're just a fun community that has all kinds of people in them (lots of *gasp* straight people). It's human nature to want to find people that are like them, especially when you're in a small minority. LGBT people tend to feel ostracized in a lot of places in society still, so the intent is to create a safe environment where they don't feel they have to hide who they are.

If you look around, you'll notice that there are also 45+ aged guilds, Christian guilds, RP guilds, Australian guilds. It's not an agenda, it's feeling at home.

chuixupu
10.30.2013 , 02:06 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
I understand what you're saying but I still don't see the point of said guilds. I mean, I understand why people make russian, hungarian, swedish, italian, choose-nationality guilds. What I don't understand is the point and idea of strictly LGBT guilds. They're just gimping themselves for the sake of no benefits at all. No logic baffles me.
It seems you didn't really read my post. They aren't gimping themselves because they aren't limiting themselves. Taint on Proudmoore in WoW is actually so enormous there are probably 10 separate connected guilds. They aren't all LGBT people in them, they're a well-known community that has all kinds of social events.

slafko
10.30.2013 , 03:03 AM | #8
My post was written as a reply to the poster above you.

YesterdaysRepeat
10.30.2013 , 05:57 AM | #9
It's not neccessarily that the guild is 'LGBT only'. More that it's a safe place for those in the LGBT community. Which, unfortunately, is needed even in games as there are a lot of people who love nothing more then to harrass others about such things. It's nice to be able to talk about your outside of game life like everyone else without having to be careful that you don't mention that you are male and have a boyfriend, or that, really, you might -sound- female on teamspeak but are male. It's nice to know you won't get the boot from a guild for those things, which does actually happen.

But most of the LGBT guilds are not 'LGBT only' guilds. Easier to say, LGBT safe, as people who are straight, cis and non-jerks are typically welcome too.

jankiel
10.30.2013 , 06:55 AM | #10
I really should start a hetero guild.
Coris of The Progenitor