Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best republic class story ?

Trentest
10.25.2013 , 09:28 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by WestXv View Post
Does noone even play as dark Jedi at all? The dark knight(pun not intended) story is in my opinion much more enjoyable.
DS/LS doesn't really change the story all that much for ANY of the stories...

The only exceptions are in the Inquisitor:

Spoiler

and in the Agent:

Spoiler

DS Knight only really changes the manner in which you resolve the final conflict, not the outcome. All comes down to RPing your character though.

Cyberwoman
10.25.2013 , 09:37 PM | #12
Have only completed two (Smuggler and JK) and in all honestly, my heart lies with the Empire in this game (In terms of style and storytelling) but...

Jedi Knight: The most 'Star Wars-like' of them all, but I don't personally consider that a good thing. I would say that it is the 'main' story of the game, its just a shame that I didn't really find it that compelling. It certainly has its interesting moments, and there are some great 'evil' moments if you are playing a dark-side Jedi. It feels rather bland sometimes, with only a handful of interesting characters (And some of the worst companions in the game, IMO).

Smuggler: Hands down, the female Smuggler is one of the best characters in the game. She is wonderfully voiced, with a lot of great one-liners and emotion when needed. It's just a shame that her story is so . . . boring. The characters are only interesting during the final planet, and some of the missions/chapter 1 are just plain boring at times.

Trooper: I have just started Chapter 3, but I truly think this is the best story of the Republic. I know there are some who feel it is a bit gun-ho, but I think it works with the players character, and it helps that the whole thing is supplemented with interesting characters and a good story.

Consular: Only on Chapter 2, but I have been enjoying it. It has its weak points, but I didn't find the first chapter as bad as some people make out.

In the end though, everyone is going to has there own opinions on what makes a story good or not. Perhaps you should play though Coruscant/Chap 1 just to get a feel of the class and then pick your favorite?

Quote: Originally Posted by WestXv View Post
Does noone even play as dark Jedi at all? The dark knight(pun not intended) story is in my opinion much more enjoyable.
The most fun I have had on the Republic side is as a Dark Jedi. I honestly don't think I could have played through that (or any Jedi story!) story as a purely light side Jedi.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who
Chinbu, Hekit, Shieye, Hunk'a, Bi'song, Paign'ton, Ga'vin, Char-bi
Griffa, Ga'athei, Valamist , V'woolf, Equ'mar, No'lara, Vampora

Dallayna
10.25.2013 , 09:40 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
Without going spoiler heavy I would rate them in order of preference:

1st) Smuggler, you get a wookiee companion, some of the best dialogue and I was always a fan of Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon. (Imperial Agent)

2nd) Consular, first chapter is slow but has possibly the strongest end chapter of the four. (Inquisitor)

3rd) Trooper, best prologue of the four rep stories but fails to build on it and the theme gets very repetitive. (Bounty Hunter)

4th) Jedi Knight, you are the chosen one, possibly the most cliché filled storyline of the eight with pretty obvious ending. (Warrior)

To be honest the basic feel of the story line has a close correlation with their Imperial mirror. So if there is an Imperial class you enjoyed the story of there's a good chance the mirror will be for you with maybe the exception of the Jedi Knight. Loved the Sith warrior story, JK left me cold.
+1 with the addition that the Trooper story is so forgettable that I just finished Chapter 3 on mine and couldn't even remotely remember much more then bits and pieces of it.

And, the Jedi Knight is- meh for me too, but that doesn't mean it wasn't ok. I mean, at the end of the day, it really is one of the most Star Wars-y stories in the game.

I think the difference between those who love it and those who were left disappointed comes down to the fact that it's the most like what one would expect and has almost no character development so, those of us who really like to see characters grow and develop and change with some twists and turns and loops thrown at them are left feeling a little flat but those who can enjoy an expected ride that has little to do with the personality of the main characters other then their being Good and Evil can just ride along with that fact and really jazz on it being so obviously Star Wars.

The Consular also suffers from the same problem unfortunately- at least in the beginning and it's not being your character's development that plays out- it can be pretty good through the second and third chapters because, at the end of the day, it's more Murder Mystery-esque done Star Wars Style but, unfortunately, being Star Wars Style means that it's not so much twists and turns you're going to encounter so much as mild bends.

The Smuggler, is, of course, also easy to see what's going to happen later on down the road but, the fact is that it does indeed have the most growth because it is, at the end of the day, the poor schmuck that gets suckered in over his head (an absolute must for any Road Comedy). But if banter and inappropriate comments to the standard Epic aren't your cup of tea, someone can easily be bored enough to start contemplating kissing their blaster by the time they're ready to clear the second planet.

So, TL;DR? The JK story is good but also a touch 2-dimensional and very, very, very, very Star Wars. Consular is very slow and a little easy to anticipate but the NPC's do eventually reveal a pretty good tale, but if you really like character development? You're probably better off sticking with the Imps or rolling with a Smuggy because at least that has tons of humor to get you through.
I Defeat Enemies Endless! Add Another!

Nickious
10.25.2013 , 09:41 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Trentest View Post
Spoiler
What's the difference for titles?

Suromir
10.25.2013 , 09:42 PM | #15
I'd disagree about the poster saying the classes are what you'd expect them to be..at least with the smuggler.

Jedi Knight - As said..this is basically KotOR 3. You are the chosen one and blahblah. Good story, one of my favorites..but there is NOTHING surprising in it at all. Though, as stated, it is cool that it's one that makes you feel the most connected to KotOR 1 and 2...as it kinda continues on that directly.

Jedi Consular - Extremely dull story, imo. Just not much exciting about it or to it. A decent "jedi" story..if you're into that mumbo jumbo. It does get much better come act 2 and 3...and does have a cool ending.

Trooper - Average on all acounts really. Has some high highs but then really low lows that draw out and are just dull. And it has a very weak ending. Does shine really well on one part where you can become attached to a certain character you meet but then have to make a tough choice about. Esp if you're the opposite gender of this person.

Smuggler - Comedy story. Some really funny and sarcastic parts. there's a twist or two but nothing that catches you by surprise by the time you come upon them. Sadly is the class most "out of sink" with it's "calling"...you never feel like a smuggler. More like an independant agent for the republic that get's a few chances to play a double-agent of sorts. You "smuggle" ONE thing (two if you count the weapons you're delivering at the beginning..but it's never said whether you're "smuggling" them really or not.) There is just almost nothing that goes on that makes you feel like you're actually smuggling. Just playing agent/double agent and making a couple deliveries in the beginning. The humor makes the story work imo.

Cyberwoman
10.25.2013 , 09:51 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nickious View Post
What's the difference for titles?
I think everyone gets only the 'Darth' title, its just the in-game name they give you that is different.

Spoiler
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Suromir
10.25.2013 , 09:53 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyberwoman View Post
I think everyone gets only the 'Darth' title, its just the in-game name they give you that is different.

Spoiler
and sadly those Darth titles don't matter because you can't actually display them and never hear them again (except maybe during a makeb cutscene I don't remember)

Cyberwoman
10.25.2013 , 10:09 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Suromir View Post
and sadly those Darth titles don't matter because you can't actually display them and never hear them again (except maybe during a makeb cutscene I don't remember)
It is such a shame. Apparently a similar thing has happened with the JK story...
Spoiler

Gwena
10.25.2013 , 10:18 PM | #19
IMHO the Smuggler story is good, if you are interested in playing a roguish character with the potential to engage in some comedic hi-jinks. I wasn't, at least not very much, so I found the story itself rather uninteresting aside from the amusing/witty dialogue options. So if you've ruled out the Trooper and Consular, I'd recommend going for the Knight if that doesn't sound appealing to you.

And maybe it is just me that is heavily influenced by the character's voices, but I'd suggest taking that into account as well. I'd never have made it through my Smuggler if not for her cute, personable voice, and almost dropped my Jedi Consular before getting off of Tython because of his 40-year-old-math-teacher voice. ^^;
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Draekos
10.25.2013 , 11:01 PM | #20
I tend to agree with a lot of people here.

The Jedi Knight is a story that feels the most like KOTOR 3, pretty much expected.

The Trooper seemed to drag a bit. Maybe Havoc is overdone too early so it seems like more of the same as you go.

I like the Consular story for the Star Wars lore and feel in the early chapters and then it got better as you got into it. Kind of a sleeper. I had low expectations so maybe that helped.

I'm currently doing the Smuggler and it has a lot of charm. Working on Hoth so not done with it yet.

Overall I liked them all, but none stood out like the Sith Warrior or Agent stories. On the flipside though I found the Bounty Hunter the worst of all I have done and am on Hoth with the inquisitor and rather bored. Kind of fitting for the Sith to have the best and worst IMO.