Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The reason why color crystals are always off in the preview

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The reason why color crystals are always off in the preview

CarpeSangrea
10.26.2013 , 04:47 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Cernow View Post
I think it must depend on other factors too. I never use Bloom and always have it switched off. But the colour crystals still look very different in preview than they do in reality. This is on a GTX660 with everything else set to high, but bloom off.
This. Things like bloom would drastically affect the saber's corona, but not the actual color.

I've always had bloom turned off myself, as in most games the effect is rather exaggerated. The colors between the preview window and the actual game are always off regardless of this setting.

While I normally appreciate dulfy's input and appreciate all the work done, this only applies to people whose main issue with the differential is the corona.

Laiov
10.26.2013 , 05:47 AM | #22
So, is bloom being applied to lightsabers something BioWare might change in the future? Because look at this:

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...stal-bloom.jpg
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...l-no-bloom.jpg

I guess I have bloom enabled by default. Over time I've seen lightsabers become fuzzier and fuzzier, thicker and thicker, to the point that they appear to be ridiculous nerf bats just as the above. The non-bloom version of this new blue core saber looks really cool. But the bloom version is unusably absurd. Some middle ground would be much appreciated; with the coloration and effects of the first screenshot, but the far lesser thickness of the second screenshot.

I now notice that some of the new mobs on Oricon - specifically the sith with those black/white lightsabers - don't appear to have bloom effects enabled on their blades regardless of whether or not I have the effects enabled in general. And it looks a lot better.
Main: 55 Sorcerer @ The Shadowlands
Origin: 50 Sniper @ Thana Vesh

Rafaman
10.26.2013 , 07:27 AM | #23
I actually now prefer Bloom off. I notice that on my Assassin Tank, Dark Ward isn't a blurry purple eyesore as well. I can actually see my toon after it is applied. Woot! Yes!

AshlaBoga
10.27.2013 , 01:22 PM | #24
Quote:
I spent last night updating my entire color crystal gallery with bloom on/off so you can see the difference for every color crystal.
I don't think you get enough "thank you"s. So

Thank you,
Thank you,
Thank you,
Thank you,
Thank you,
Thank you,
Thank you,
Thank you!
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

metalfenix
10.27.2013 , 01:29 PM | #25
And this is why we love ya Iwipe, thanks!
Koltowolf'Raf Commando Healer / Raf'HiredHealer Mercenary Healer
Rafa-el Scoundrel Healer
Server: The Harbinger

Reno_Tarshil
10.27.2013 , 01:31 PM | #26
Ty for this, as a Color Crystal picky person, I see certain crystals in a different light.

AshlaBoga
10.27.2013 , 01:44 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Laiov View Post
So, is bloom being applied to lightsabers something BioWare might change in the future? Because look at this:

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...stal-bloom.jpg
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...l-no-bloom.jpg

I guess I have bloom enabled by default. Over time I've seen lightsabers become fuzzier and fuzzier, thicker and thicker, to the point that they appear to be ridiculous nerf bats just as the above. The non-bloom version of this new blue core saber looks really cool. But the bloom version is unusably absurd. Some middle ground would be much appreciated; with the coloration and effects of the first screenshot, but the far lesser thickness of the second screenshot.

I now notice that some of the new mobs on Oricon - specifically the sith with those black/white lightsabers - don't appear to have bloom effects enabled on their blades regardless of whether or not I have the effects enabled in general. And it looks a lot better.
Yeah, a while back someone posted that the elite assassins in the Watchtower had better looking Black-White sabers. I checked myself and realized that even when I HAD BLOOM ENABLED, those enemies had it disabled somehow. And yes, their blades looked dapper
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

AshlaBoga
10.27.2013 , 01:50 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Well, the real answer IMO is that they should do the color crystals such that bloom does not affect them. Not sure what challenges that poses.. but that would be the proper approach IMO.

As to residual differences between in game and preview even with bloom off.. CosmicKat is correct about the ambient lighting. Preview has a default fixed lighting... whereas your in game environment actually has ambient lighting that varies quite a lot.
They have actually done that with some enemies on Oricon, their Black-White sabers have bloom DISABLED even when I have it enabled on my comp.
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption