Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

AshenK
10.24.2013 , 02:47 AM | #21
A great post op!

Really this would be something that would help the game out big time. The whole P2W system isn't working for any game with it and you are so right about how players don't like it. MMORPG.com I know for a fact hates it and being it's the main MMO site on the net people really should give it the time of day and hear out what the folks on there have to say.

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:48 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
So you are against a cash shop AND you are against having to work to gain something?

On a side note, the "work" required was a legacy level which all my guild members and friends had for a long time and a million credits which also everyone of them already had. For me personally the "work" to get Treek was to find the vendor selling it.

So how exactly would this work on your dream server then? Everything that is in the cash shop is just dumped into your inventory or sold for 1credit each?
Please read properly. I am not against working for it. I am actually in favour of it.

JPryde
10.24.2013 , 02:49 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DKNS View Post
Negative publicity affects a game a lot.
And what good publicity would an empty server bring? As I still claim, that there wouldn't be enough life on your dream server to fill a space cruiser.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Darth_Wicked
10.24.2013 , 02:49 AM | #24
And that's why they are dying off.

And please, i just explained how putting Treek in the market is like GW2 putting their Legendaries there. Why even bother with the it can be obtained in the game argument? If it was meant to be something which only players who have dedicated a lot of time in the game can obtain, then why put in the market?

And did you even see how much bad publicity a $20 dye caused outside the SWTOR forums? Of course we people enjoy the game so we don't mind it much. But think about it. You have never played this game. Suddenly, some guy comes and tells you, "This game has a 20$ dye in the cash shop". Would you seriously try it then?

Negative publicity affects a game a lot.
Gameplay > Fluff

At least as far as I'm concerned. Also, said dye can be bought on the GTN... It requires a sizable amount of credits but it's there if you don't want to spend REAL money.

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:51 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
Simple solution don't visit the cash shop. You have to click on the button to go there so it is actually easy not to visit the cash shop. I have done it pretty much unless I want to see the new items.
I know it can be ignored and i have done it since day one only to open to spend the monthly grant but my issue is how BW is handling the cash shop. Like i said in a previous post, they are adding things which give the cash shop a lot of negative publicity and backfire and which would be much appreciated in-game.

JPryde
10.24.2013 , 02:53 AM | #26
Sites like mmorpg.com will always hate, no matter what.

Or did they in fact mention anything positive about the TaunTaun-mount being ONLY available through in-game means and not being able to be purchased off the cartel market?

Shouldn't such a move have brought a lot of positive feedback? If not, then why take the critics seriously?
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

AlexThomasG
10.24.2013 , 02:53 AM | #27
This thread is just the biggest fail of the week. WHO CARES ABOUT A TWENTY DOLLAR DYE. If you dont want to spend the money on it dont. You can also buy it on the GTN. There is nothing in the store that makes players better and the companion really isnt much. I do fine with the free companions. So many of the mmo sites are just bs paid to shill for guild wars 2 all day and complain about everything else. They have no credibility.

mmorpg.com is a guild wars 2 fansite, not a legit news outlet.

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:54 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Gameplay > Fluff

At least as far as I'm concerned. Also, said dye can be bought on the GTN... It requires a sizable amount of credits but it's there if you don't want to spend REAL money.
That's the one good thing BW have done that they have allowed the market items to be sold on GTN. But honestly, would you not be more happy if all the dyes could actually be crafted by Artificers instead of real money? Be honest here. Dyes are a very important cosmetic.

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:56 AM | #29
Also, if anyone doubts how much i like this game, then here is my profile on mmorpg.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm?username=skyline385

I have defended this game for days there before finally giving it up on the idiots there (ignore the first post you see, it was sarcasm which got me banned for "trolling"). I love this game and only wish the best for it.

BlackBolt
10.24.2013 , 03:01 AM | #30
Allods Online did it recently so why not here too?

Many (and i mean a lot of) people are turned off by the cash shop to the extent that they do not even try the game or just leave it. So why not create a few Subscription servers where everything can be purchased in-game? A huge part of the MMO community wants a cash shop free game so creating these servers will most likely attract a good number of players while also calming the existing players who are tired of the cash shop.

I think this would really help the stabilise the game as well as it's reputation in the MMO community which is currently extremely bad due to the extremely restrictive F2P offered by Bioware. We know Bioware has said that it's more like a demo but the they themselves officially called it F2P. A F2P server will also properly act as a Demo server while the rest of the people can enjoy the game as it was meant to be played on the Sub servers. An important thing here would be to allow all current subscribers an option to freely transfer to the Sub server, otherwise the sub server won't work.

If Bioware is worried about the money which it may lose from the current subs who still buy stuff from Cartel shop, then they can charge for the expansions on the sub server instead of it giving it free. I know i would be more than happy to spend on an expansion instead of the Cartel market.

What does the rest of the community feel about this? Please comment below and also vote on the poll i created to see it statistically

http://flisti.com/58204
I don't understand how the cash shop affects you?
I'm a sub who occasionally buys coins and I understand the benefits of being RICH can make you SOME credits in-game via GTN unlocks, but it's definitely not P2W, as in you can't buy the latest 299 rating gear and the characters won't play for you if you have 500,000 coins.