Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

Darth_Wicked
10.24.2013 , 02:31 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DKNS View Post
If you had read further you would have seen this line

"While i know sites like mmorpg.com are a cesspool of the gaming community, a customer is a customer and they do complain a lot about games with cash shops."
If you know this, why bring them up to begin with, if they're not exactly the most reliable source of criticism? Sounds puzzling to say the least.

Again, there's no reason whatsoever for people NOT to ignore the Cartel Market altogether, if they feel it doesn't warrant their attention.
Click here for a FREE character transfer and 7 days of subscription ( Referral Link FAQ )
Quote: Originally Posted by The Unseen
When he returns, there will be peace.
When he returns, there will be silence.
WHEN HE RETURNS, ALL STARS WILL DIE.

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:35 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
SWTOR would be no longer in existance without the cash shop. That is a topic where even the worst enemies on this board do agree on.
So no, our subscription did apparently not suffice to maintain the game.

Or are you willing to pay a HIGHER subscription for that cash-shop-free server? That would be a totally different matter, but then you would need to ask your poll like this:
"Would you be happy with a Sub server with no cash shop where all cartel items can be bought for credits but the subscription cost is up to 15% higher?".. and good luck with getting anyone to say YES on that question.
15% higher would be $17.25. I also said they should charge for expansions to cover costs.

I decided to create this thread because BW has started putting a lot of things in the cash shop which shouldn't be there. The 20$ dye, the 20$ companion which is stronger than all the other companions in the game (even though it can be purchased in the game, it has to be worked for to get it in-game. It's like GW2 putting their Legendaries in the cash shop) and now the one time use Raid marker. I am worried about the things that are getting into the cash shop.

AlexThomasG
10.24.2013 , 02:36 AM | #13
the cash shop in swtor is nothing like the shop in the game you referred to and really most any other cash shops in mmo's. There are cartel gambling packs and a few other things. NOTHING that makes you a better player by payin money.

So tell me, how would a cash shop offering cosmetic items and a few low end gear items cause anyone to not try the game? It frankly makes no sense

AlexThomasG
10.24.2013 , 02:38 AM | #14
15% higher would be $17.25. I also said they should charge for expansions to cover costs.

I decided to create this thread because BW has started putting a lot of things in the cash shop which shouldn't be there. The 20$ dye, the 20$ companion which is stronger than all the other companions in the game (even though it can be purchased in the game, it has to be worked for to get it in-game. It's like GW2 putting their Legendaries in the cash shop) and now the one time use Raid marker. I am worried about the things that are getting into the cash shop.
The dye is cosmetic. The companion can be gained in game (sorry if you dont want to put the hard work in) and really unless you suck at the game, the free companions are MORE than enough and work fine. No one needs the cash shop companion to win in this game. The cartel market has nothing that makes you a better player.

AlexThomasG
10.24.2013 , 02:40 AM | #15
Take a look at the shops in lord of the rings online, in Aion, and in many other mmo's. THOSE are ridiculous and make people better players if they pay money. The cartel market DOES NOT do that. Anyone that wouldnt even try this game because of the cartel market is frankly a MORON .

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:40 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
If you know this, why bring them up to begin with, if they're not exactly the most reliable source of criticism? Sounds puzzling to say the least.

Again, there's no reason whatsoever for people NOT to ignore the Cartel Market altogether, if they feel it doesn't warrant their attention.
Because they are not the only source. I have repeatedly come across this criticism on many forums. I just listed a few of them which i could from the top of my head. Of course, many of the people playing here wouldn't mind it much otherwise they wouldn't be here. I too enjoy the game but i just can't help but feel how much better it would be without a cash shop. They can also make subs like EvE does to get income from it and charge for expansions but i just am not happy with the way the cash shop is heading as i have explained in the previous comment. And before some people show up with the usual, "leave it of you don't like it" comment, i want to say that do i not have the right to propose some ideas here?

ScarletBlaze
10.24.2013 , 02:43 AM | #17
Simple solution don't visit the cash shop. You have to click on the button to go there so it is actually easy not to visit the cash shop. I have done it pretty much unless I want to see the new items.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Darth_Wicked
10.24.2013 , 02:44 AM | #18
Because they are not the only source. I have repeatedly come across this criticism on many forums. I just listed a few of them which i could from the top of my head. Of course, many of the people playing here wouldn't mind it much otherwise they wouldn't be here. I too enjoy the game but i just can't help but feel how much better it would be without a cash shop. They can also make subs like EvE does to get income from it and charge for expansions but i just am not happy with the way the cash shop is heading as i have explained in the previous comment. And before some people show up with the usual, "leave it of you don't like it" comment, i want to say that do i not have the right to propose some ideas here?
Without a "Cash Shop" there wouldn't be a game at all anymore, as someone mentioned already. I wasn't the biggest fan either when it first came out but I've come to accept it as a necessary thing, one of which I benefit as well every so often.
Click here for a FREE character transfer and 7 days of subscription ( Referral Link FAQ )
Quote: Originally Posted by The Unseen
When he returns, there will be peace.
When he returns, there will be silence.
WHEN HE RETURNS, ALL STARS WILL DIE.

JPryde
10.24.2013 , 02:44 AM | #19
So you are against a cash shop AND you are against having to work to gain something?

On a side note, the "work" required was a legacy level which all my guild members and friends had for a long time and a million credits which also everyone of them already had. For me personally the "work" to get Treek was to find the vendor selling it.

So how exactly would this work on your dream server then? Everything that is in the cash shop is just dumped into your inventory or sold for 1credit each?
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:47 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexThomasG View Post
Take a look at the shops in lord of the rings online, in Aion, and in many other mmo's. THOSE are ridiculous and make people better players if they pay money. The cartel market DOES NOT do that. Anyone that wouldnt even try this game because of the cartel market is frankly a MORON .
And that's why they are dying off.

And please, i just explained how putting Treek in the market is like GW2 putting their Legendaries there. Why even bother with the it can be obtained in the game argument? If it was meant to be something which only players who have dedicated a lot of time in the game can obtain, then why put in the market?

And did you even see how much bad publicity a $20 dye caused outside the SWTOR forums? Of course we people enjoy the game so we don't mind it much. But think about it. You have never played this game. Suddenly, some guy comes and tells you, "This game has a 20$ dye in the cash shop". Would you seriously try it then?

Negative publicity affects a game a lot.