Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

GalacticKegger
10.26.2013 , 12:54 AM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by Daewan View Post
City of Heroes also had a sub-only server. Of course, that game is dead....
Bullseye mate.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

NogueiraA
10.26.2013 , 01:45 AM | #162
And please bring the game back to 1.0. I wanna play my Annihilation marauder again
English is my 3rd language, sorry for mistakes.
Beta tester, Shadowlands - 16 lvl55 toons.

Tsillah
10.26.2013 , 05:47 AM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
And every large patch there is a horde of new stuff (content) that can't be directly obtained through gameplay. Whether you will admit that it is content or not is irrelevant. To me it's content, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.
No that's too easy. Aside from your exaggerations, you want something that is no longer the way things are. Sure, you see all that cosmetic stuff as content, but the reality is that all content needs to be paid for.

If you went to a server that was sub only and no CM, then you wouldn't get any of the CM stuff because if you remember before f2p the amount of skins available was rather limited and with the CM the diversity of looks has exploded.

If you want a sub only server without CM, that means you also have to accept that you don't get any from that stuff because you're not paying for it. It's additional content if you want, but it is paid for separately and is not part of your sub payment. Are you willing to accept that?

And in the end I don't think that many people actually would play on that server. I'd think it'd be pretty quiet around there.

And at least all this content as you call it is available in game via the GTN and guildies and none of it is game breaking, giving people unfair advantages. All MMOs these days have cash shops in some form or another. Why? Because they work really well and I think that it's clear the CM is doing very well indeed.

So let me ask you the question. They would have to set up a separate server fro people like yourself and there may not be that many of you. So when you take the costs of all this and probably the limited success of it, how much are you willing to pay per month for a server like that?
Et In Gehenna Vixi...

OwenBrooks
10.26.2013 , 08:13 AM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by Daewan View Post
City of Heroes also had a sub-only server. Of course, that game is dead....
I still have City of Heroes installed on my computer is that BAD

Mind the recent Star Trek patch deleted the entire game off my computer haha just left a dead .lnk file

Genghistwelve
10.26.2013 , 08:52 AM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by DKNS View Post
What does the rest of the community feel about this? Please comment below and also vote on the poll i created to see it statistically http://flisti.com/58204
Here's an amazing concept: If you don't like the shop, then don't go in the store. Communities have places were some might want to go. Deal with it.

If you're so turned off by a retail venture in a commercial game, then you have bigger problems to worry about I think.

AlexDougherty
10.26.2013 , 09:22 AM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
I still have City of Heroes installed on my computer is that BAD

Mind the recent Star Trek patch deleted the entire game off my computer haha just left a dead .lnk file
Well if anybody ever makes an emulation of it, like they did with SWG, then you can play it, otherwise yeah it's just taking up space.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Rankyn
10.26.2013 , 11:17 AM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
So let me ask you the question. They would have to set up a separate server fro people like yourself and there may not be that many of you. So when you take the costs of all this and probably the limited success of it, how much are you willing to pay per month for a server like that?
I think a fun thing to do would be to give all of these cash shop haters exactly what they want, but at a cost.
No, not for extra money but at the cost of restrictions on their account.

Here's how it'd work:

- You could opt out of ever having to deal with the Cartel Market.
- You would be restricted to playing on a single non-market server. All your characters would be transferred to it for free. Any un-bound marketplace items would not be transferred so as to remove them from the economy.
- It would be a permanent decision and you would never be able to create characters on any other server.
- All your Cartel Coins will be taken away and you will neither receive monthly grants nor be able to purchase them.
- Likewise, it would not be possible to play on this server if you had not opted out of the marketplace. It is restricted specifically for those who do not wish to be part of the cartel market experience.
- You cannot play without a subscription.
- All non-marketplace related game updates are still applied just as they would be to the rest of the game.
- In order to keep things simple for game updates, all game interactions that may require Cartel Purchases (appearance designer, Cartel vendors, etc.) WILL still be present on this server, but players will be unable to make use of them because they do not have access to Cartel Coins.
- The collection system would still exist but account unlocks will not be possible due to the lack of coins. Existing unlocks would remain since those items are only usable by the character who claimed them.
- Since expansions are no longer being subsidized by Cartel purchases on this server, anyone who has chosen this option will be required to purchase them separately, most likely for $20.

So to summarize:
- Make a permanent choice to only play on a non-Market server. Once you have chosen this path, there's no going back. Ever.
- The game exists as it does now and the server will continue receiving normal updates except 1) you have 0 coins, 2) will never get more coins, 3) the marketplace isn't available to you, and 4) a subscription is required to play.
- You would have to pay cash for expansions.

So that would pretty much return the game to the pre-F2P experience with the least amount of development effort for those that want it, but I doubt you'd be able to find enough people willing to play under those conditions to make a single server worthwhile.

MajikMyst
10.26.2013 , 11:54 AM | #168
Wow.. This is a really bad idea.. All the great stuff, mounts, weapons, pets, toys, armor, and countless other things all come from the Cartel Market.. If they took out the Cartel Market and made subscription servers, about 70% of the game content would disappear.. There is no in game way to collect all this stuff..

The F2P people would have all the goodies and we would have......... Well.......... Pretty much nothing..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

midianlord
10.26.2013 , 01:34 PM | #169
[...] I really held the SWTOR community in high regard until now. [...]
That was your first mistake.

/Me smiles cynically....

You're not from around here, are you?

The modern MMO player-base, we're getting exactly what we deserve, and deserve exactly what we get. No more, and no less.
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler

Rankyn
10.26.2013 , 03:29 PM | #170
Please comment below and also vote on the poll i created to see it statistically
...with a margin of error so high that you could hide the Death Star behind it.