Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:11 AM | #1
Allods Online did it recently so why not here too?

Many (and i mean a lot of) people are turned off by the cash shop to the extent that they do not even try the game or just leave it. So why not create a few Subscription servers where everything can be purchased in-game? A huge part of the MMO community wants a cash shop free game so creating these servers will most likely attract a good number of players while also calming the existing players who are tired of the cash shop.

I think this would really help the stabilise the game as well as it's reputation in the MMO community which is currently extremely bad due to the extremely restrictive F2P offered by Bioware. We know Bioware has said that it's more like a demo but the they themselves officially called it F2P. A F2P server will also properly act as a Demo server while the rest of the people can enjoy the game as it was meant to be played on the Sub servers. An important thing here would be to allow all current subscribers an option to freely transfer to the Sub server, otherwise the sub server won't work.

If Bioware is worried about the money which it may lose from the current subs who still buy stuff from Cartel shop, then they can charge for the expansions on the sub server instead of it giving it free. I know i would be more than happy to spend on an expansion instead of the Cartel market.

What does the rest of the community feel about this? Please comment below and also vote on the poll i created to see it statistically

http://flisti.com/58204

CrazyMcGee
10.24.2013 , 02:15 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DKNS View Post
Many (and i mean a lot of) people are turned off by the cash shop to the extent that they do not even try the game or just leave it.
Source?

I'm finding it hard to believe you can speak on behalf of A LOT of people who have never tried the game because they don't like the cartel market.

Seems to me like you just made that up. Prove me wrong?

Darth_Wicked
10.24.2013 , 02:18 AM | #3
What exactly prevents people from ignoring the "Cash Shop" altogether, while playing the game?

JPryde
10.24.2013 , 02:20 AM | #4
What does the rest of the community feel about this?
I personally got the feeling that you are (like many others) assuming that your personal opinion is shared by a vast majority.

Bioware stated the fact, that most cash-shop purchases are done by subscribers, so how does that match with your assumption, that most subscribers dislike the cash shop?

Why would Bioware voluntarily earn less money? They already get our subscription without the need to create special rules server of unknown population density. They already do get the extra cash-shop income from subscribers (and non-subscribers), so why should they give us all for no additional cost (sure, it would be fine, but it just ain't gonna happen).

Also we got just one server per type and language in europe... and you want to split the population further? not a good idea to me.

Also your poll is extremely biased. The only question is "Would you be happy with a Sub server with no cash shop?"... well, yes, I would be happy, but I am realistic enough to know that it wouldn't work. So what shall I answer ? I need to say no to follow the spirit of your question and not its wording.

So my stance on this subject: Hell no !

Ma stance on the OP: overexaggerated single opinion (not A LOT, not many and not fact)
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:22 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyMcGee View Post
Source?

I'm finding it hard to believe you can speak on behalf of A LOT of people who have never tried the game because they don't like the cartel market.

Seems to me like you just made that up. Prove me wrong?
Well you can visit any major MMO forums if you want proof for that as well as just any gaming forums. My deduction came from my time on sites like mmorpg.com, mmohut.com, subs on Reddit of upcoming games with subs (like WIldstar, TESO, etc.) and many others. Even Reddit's /r/swtor which generally is a decent place with occasional SWTOR Dev visits occasionally complains of it. While i know sites like mmorpg.com are a cesspool of the gaming community, a customer is a customer and they do complain a lot about games with cash shops.

Darth_Wicked
10.24.2013 , 02:23 AM | #6
Well you can visit any major MMO sites if you want proof for that as well as just any gaming forums. My deduction came from my time on sites like mmorpg.com (...)
I stopped reading after that.

Calimero
10.24.2013 , 02:24 AM | #7
I just ignore the whole cash shop thing, like I've done in all MMO's that have gone down that path, like LOTRO.

It's just fluff items and honestly I don't need more stuff to fill storage space. The stuff that I've gotten from collectors edition and from other events etc. are just collecting dust in the storage, why would I spend money to get more stuff to collect dust?

Just ignore it.

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:26 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
I personally got the feeling that you are (like many others) assuming that your personal opinion is shared by a vast majority.

Bioware stated the fact, that most cash-shop purchases are done by subscribers, so how does that match with your assumption, that most subscribers dislike the cash shop?

Why would Bioware voluntarily earn less money? They already get our subscription without the need to create special rules server of unknown population density. They already do get the extra cash-shop income from subscribers (and non-subscribers), so why should they give us all for no additional cost (sure, it would be fine, but it just ain't gonna happen).

Also we got just one server per type and language in europe... and you want to split the population further? not a good idea to me.

Also your poll is extremely biased. The only question is "Would you be happy with a Sub server with no cash shop?"... well, yes, I would be happy, but I am realistic enough to know that it wouldn't work. So what shall I answer ? I need to say no to follow the spirit of your question and not its wording.

So my stance on this subject: Hell no !

Ma stance on the OP: overexaggerated single opinion (not A LOT, not many and not fact)
It's my opinion the poll was only for yea or no on whether you like a cash shop free server. How is it over-exaggerated? I just said that i have come across many people who don't like subs.

Also, many successful MMOs have gone with subs only. Removing cash shop doesn't mean that BW will suddenly go poor. Like i said, they can charge for Expansions and all.

DKNS
10.24.2013 , 02:27 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
I stopped reading after that.
If you had read further you would have seen this line

"While i know sites like mmorpg.com are a cesspool of the gaming community, a customer is a customer and they do complain a lot about games with cash shops."

JPryde
10.24.2013 , 02:29 AM | #10
Also, many successful MMOs have gone with subs only. Removing cash shop doesn't mean that BW will suddenly go poor. Like i said, they can charge for subs and all.
SWTOR would be no longer in existance without the cash shop. That is a topic where even the worst enemies on this board do agree on.
So no, our subscription did apparently not suffice to maintain the game.

Or are you willing to pay a HIGHER subscription for that cash-shop-free server? That would be a totally different matter, but then you would need to ask your poll like this:
"Would you be happy with a Sub server with no cash shop where all cartel items can be bought for credits but the subscription cost is up to 15% higher?".. and good luck with getting anyone to say YES on that question.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !