Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Iīm back... for now. With feedback on the "Galactic Starfighter" announcement

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Iīm back... for now. With feedback on the "Galactic Starfighter" announcement

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.21.2013 , 04:40 AM | #1
Good evening. I'm sure most of you are aware of who I am, but if not please allow me to introduce myself.

I am Lord Ravenhurst. I'm a Gaming Legend who has been playing MMO's since 1776. I also asked the legendary question "What about the super secret space project, does it exist" which was answered cheerfully by the devs during a livestream.
Now that the introductions are over, and my celebrity status is obvious to everyone, let's get onto business.

Ok scratch that, I just re-activated my account for 60 days with a second hand gametime card I got from a friend who stopped playing a while ago. My reasons for resubbing, in no specific order:

- Grab the "Join the Battle" rewards for returning subscribers (500 Bonus CC, A droid pet, a speeder, and the Hutt Cartel expansion)
- Grab the early access to "Galactic Starfighter" and the rewards (Paintjobs, suits, unlocks and whatever else comes with it)

So, "Galactic Starfighter" , eh?
I read all the available infos and I have to say I am mildly excited, and looking forward to further infos.

BUT. And it is a BIG BUT:
What ever happened to the "Super" in "Super Secret Space Project"?
Was it just a "super secret", or was it a super "Secret Space Project"?

Because, whatīs not so super is the fact GS seems to be nothing else than a series of new time limited, controlled warzones in space. The dream of an open world space sim with 100+ systems to fly around, cockpit view, mining, trading, joysticks and the occasional PVP shootout has died with the announcement.

For me the current system basically looks like another "Star Conflict" MOBA type arena.
Sure those types of games (World of Tanks, World of Warplanes) are quite successful. But will it translate to this MMO?
Weīll see about it, but I expected more. Way more. A full space sim.

So I read you canīt do AI in space. No surprise, because the ground game doesnīt really shine for intelligent NPC behaviour apart from "attacking".

And I read you canīt do more than 24 players moving around in one space instance.

You know what other game canīt do more than 24 players in one instance? Elite Dangerous.
Yet, they are managing to create a procedural galaxy with 100.. BILLION.. star systems.
And donīt even get me started on what Star Citizen is going to achieve.
Another great sim, although single player, comes out on Nov. 15 and is called X-Rebirth, and the scope is way beyond of a simple pew-pew MOBA, although it has been done by a really small team.

So, again. I expect more from you, Bioware. Way more. A full online space sim. Even if itīs just PVP for the beginning: make it bigger, tear down the walls of time limited arenas. Give us a real Star Wars universe to travel around, land on planets, mine, trade, build stations and control territory.

Thanks for reading. Now carry on with what you have been doing before.

LegoUniverseBC
10.21.2013 , 04:42 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
Good evening. I'm sure most of you are aware of who I am, but if not please allow me to introduce myself.

I am Lord Ravenhurst. I'm a Gaming Legend who has been playing MMO's since 1776. I also asked the legendary question "What about the super secret space project, does it exist" which was answered cheerfully by the devs during a livestream.
Now that the introductions are over, and my celebrity status is obvious to everyone, let's get onto business.

Ok scratch that, I just re-activated my account for 60 days with a second hand gametime card I got from a friend who stopped playing a while ago. My reasons fir resubbing, in no specific order:

- Grab the "Join the Battle rewards" for returning subscribers (500 Bonus CC, A droid pet, a speeder, and the Hutt Cartel expansion)
- Grab the early access to "Galactic Starfighter" and the rewards (Paintjobs, suits, unlocks and whatever else comes with it)

I read all the available infos and I have to say I am mildly excited, and looking forward to further infos.

Was it just a "Super Secret", or was it a super "Secret Space Project"?

Because, whatīs not so super is the fact this looks like to be nothing else like a series of new time limited, controlled warzones in space. The dream of an open world space sim with 100+ systems to fly around, cockpit view, mining, trading, joysticks and the occasional PVP shootout has died with the announcement.

For me the current system basically looks like another "Star Conflict" MOBA type arena.
Sure those types of games (World of Tanks, World of Warplanes) are quite succesful. But will it translate to this MMO?

So I read you canīt do AI in space. No surprise, because the ground game doesnīt really shine for intelligent NPC behaviour apart from "attacking".

And I read you canīt do more than 24 players moving around in one instance.

You know what other game canīt do more than 24 players in one instance? Elite Dangerous.
Yet, they are managing to create a procedural galaxy with 100.. BILLION.. star systems.
Another great sim, although single player, comes out on Nov. 15 and is called X-Rebirth, and the scope is way beyond of a simple pew-pew MOBA, although it has been done by a really small team.

So, again. I expect more from you, Bioware. Way more. A full online space sim. Even if itīs just PVP for the beginning: make it bigger, tear down the walls of time limited arenas. Give us a real Star Wars universe to travel around, land on planets, mine, trade, build stations and control territory.

0/10
We don't need another gaming legend, we already have enough.

zXBurntToastXz
10.21.2013 , 04:45 AM | #3
Begone imposter! We all know the great Sir Copperfield is the only true Gaming Legend!

Trentest
10.21.2013 , 04:53 AM | #4
This game is absolutely not EVE, Star Citizen, or X, or Elite.

It's a 'linear open world', not a sandbox. It's a controlled levelling space, not a freeroaming galaxy spanning epic.

And from the beginning of development, it never attempted to be these things. What you're asking would fundamentally change the infrastructure of SWTOR. Should it be changed, you may open yourself to one audience but completely shun another audience, not to mention the 10-15 GB update it would take.

Galactic Starfighter fits within the infrastructure of this MMO. It just MAKES SENSE.

Jumping in your ship and then going off trading, asteroid mining, and taking over the galaxy with a player run guild, as cool as it is, is of completely different tone to this MMO.

Did Mass Effect have that? No. Did Dragon Age have that? No. Did KOTOR have that? No. These are the games you should be looking at to understand the feel of the Bioware MMO. It has been out since 2011. It is a story driven, player-controlled (roughly) narrative in a linear space.

I hope I made these points clear enough why what you want and what there is simply would feel jarring to just about everyone, without having to mention how it's financially and in terms of workforce completely unfeasible

Suntaru
10.21.2013 , 05:41 AM | #5

Ok scratch that, I just re-activated my account for 60 days with a second hand gametime card I got from a friend who stopped playing a while ago. My reasons for resubbing, in no specific order:

- Grab the "Join the Battle rewards" for returning subscribers (500 Bonus CC, A droid pet, a speeder, and the Hutt Cartel expansion)

Was it just a "Super Secret", or was it a super "Secret Space Project"?

Because, whatīs not so super is the fact GS seems to be nothing else than a series of new time limited, controlled warzones in space. The dream of an open world space sim with 100+ systems to fly around, cockpit view, mining, trading, joysticks and the occasional PVP shootout has died with the announcement.

Sure those types of games (World of Tanks, World of Warplanes) are quite successful. But will it translate to this MMO?

And I read you canīt do more than 24 players moving around in one space instance.

Here we go again. Another Delusional Gamer that thinks they are gods gift to MMO's. wanting thing yesterday. If you really hate this so much, why did you even pay for a sub just to berate the game in the forums. If you want all that other junk, EVE and STO are waiting for you. It will be a long while if ever that all that other space items would be added to this game.

LordArtemis
10.21.2013 , 05:46 AM | #6
You guys do realize the first paragraph was tongue in cheek....right?

Read it again. It's actually poking fun at so called "gaming legends", not announcing he is one.

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.21.2013 , 05:53 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
You guys do realize the first paragraph was tongue in cheek....right?

Read it again. It's actually poking fun at so called "gaming legends", not announcing he is one.
You Sir, just won 100 Internet Cookies

JPryde
10.21.2013 , 05:53 AM | #8
The dream of an open world space sim with 100+ systems to fly around, cockpit view, mining, trading, joysticks and the occasional PVP shootout has died with the announcement.
Sorry, but such a dream was more than a bit unrealistic from the start.

I never expected the SSSP to be a full X3 or EVE with Starwars.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

DKNS
10.21.2013 , 06:04 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LegoUniverseBC View Post
0/10
We don't need another gaming legend, we already have enough.
Haha ain't that the truth? Only MMO forums i have seen with so many Gaming Legends.

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.21.2013 , 06:45 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Trentest View Post
This game is absolutely not EVE, Star Citizen, or X, or Elite.
It's a 'linear open world', not a sandbox. It's a controlled levelling space, not a freeroaming galaxy spanning epic.
Thatīs obvious, but it still makes me a sad Panda

What you're asking would fundamentally change the infrastructure of SWTOR.
Yes indeed

Should it be changed, you may open yourself to one audience but completely shun another audience
Which audience, the one which enjoys walls, exhaustion zones and time limited combat arenas?

Not to mention the 10-15 GB update it would take.
Now come on, we know in the days of Terabyte HDs this is not really the problem, right?

Without having to mention how it's financially and in terms of workforce completely unfeasible
Arenīt we talking about freakinī rich EA, the multi billion Dollar company? Which already spent around 200$ million on SWTOR?

"Completely unfeasible" ? Are we talking about a one-man-show project here? And even if that would be the case, Iīve seen amazing one-man projects like Limit Theory and Infinity Space which are way beyond the scope of GS 1.0.

So, what the hell is wrong with the budget vs. result ratio here, at the big triple A budget project SWTOR?
Star Citizen, 23$ million budget crowdfunded
Elite Dangerous, 2$ million budget, crowdfunded

EA could probably pay those budgets if they would search for change under their leather couches.