Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part I

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part I
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

10.18.2013 , 03:38 PM | #11
I'm sure I'll enjoy some Star Wars space PvP (when the queues pop); but, hopefully, Bioware will eventually build on this and add in co-op PvE missions with story. Basically, what I'd really like to see is something like a re-make of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter - Balance of Power set during the Old Republic era where you could have solo missions (with story), cooperative missions (with story), or multiplayer PvP (with little story). I do have some concerns that getting 24+ (12 on each side) people in the queue at the same time might take a while (especially a while after release when the newness has faded); so, I would like to see missions requiring less (e.g. 4v4 [like the new arenas] & 8v8 [like the regular warzones] and, eventually, 2 to 24 co-op).

10.18.2013 , 03:41 PM | #12
I agree. It would make sense to have some kind of objective based 4v4. Somthing with a hunt/hide feel, like.. I don't know... Smuggling ?
_______The Harbinger_______
Vonbroom [55 Op-Heal] | Dang'ck [55 BH-Tank]
Squadron 11-11-11 *Never Forget*
_______Pre-Ordered 12/02/11_______

10.18.2013 , 03:46 PM | #13
It's not perfect but it's a great start. I had stopped playing back in 2012 but the news of this release has brought me back as a subscriber

Hopefully as they develop the space system, more will be added but as a first start I think this will do well

10.18.2013 , 03:47 PM | #14
Nice read.
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

10.18.2013 , 03:51 PM | #15
While i'm glad to see this feature, a lot of the other ideas you gave sound awesome, I think PvP was the easy choice in the end. A lot of people I have talked about have had their excitement quickly go away upon learning it's PvP only. Hopefully in the future with the tech in the game now you'll be able to expand on it and add some of the PvE content. I would love for some day to see a Flashpoint or Operation where the first boss is a ship you destroy in space. Or a Daily Hub that takes place on a destroyer that gives you missions to complete PvE objectives in free space.

10.18.2013 , 03:52 PM | #16
Based on what you have so far.
1: Your game play is a lot like Star Wars: Rebel Assault where you move your mouse to Steer & Aim. What is Missing in The Old Republic is "Which Way? Left, Right, Up, or Down?" type of Path Steering.
2: In Star Wars: Galaxies you could choose your Patterns & Colors, but it was missing something that F-Zero GX had, Decals such as the Mario Mushroom & more. But I think we, the Players, could come up with some Rough-Drafts that you could Refine. Wish I could send you My Suggested Pic & I'll Explain What it Means.

10.18.2013 , 03:57 PM | #17
Is there going to be any PvE content in this expansion?

10.18.2013 , 03:57 PM | #18
Sad part about this whole thing...

Everything he mentioned that they DIDN'T put in sounds infinitely more fun than what they are putting in...

10.18.2013 , 03:58 PM | #19
Interesting read, but unfortunately it sounds more like PR-spin then honesty. Here is what I mean:

You may have assumed we weren’t listening, but I promise, we were reading every post… and taking copious notes.
We looked at the landscape of possibilities and where there were opportunities, when we quickly realized the answer was simple: PvP. Players had been clamoring for it since launch—
Free-flight space gameplay has been the most requested feature since launch, so I'm sure they had plenty to read. But I never read one person request that a free-flight space system be PvP *ONLY*. In fact, I'd like to issue a challenge to anyone reading these words to find a post that was made prior to the official announcement of this expansion, requesting that this system be PvP *ONLY*.

Maybe its out there, but I havent seen it. And even if there are rare examples, they were definitely in the minority. Sure, people wanted the space revamp to include PvP options, but the vast majority wanted PvE. Getting back to my opening statements, the vibe I get from this article is "we heard what you wanted, and here it is". Except this isnt how most people asked for it to work.

10.18.2013 , 03:59 PM | #20
Well, I'm a bit conversative, so I'm not sure if I like this update or not... But will be fun to try it out, let's hope I've got around to buying a new computer then... Or else my 600$ super laptop will have to own face (just like in 8v8, rocking 10 fps solid )