Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Holiday Update

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HoloTweed
10.18.2013 , 11:40 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by befear View Post
So with character rename, i have some levels under 10 but i like the names and i will level them at some point. Will those lose their names? also any word on having character armory? also will there be different ladders for solo and team?
Are you a subscriber? If so, they said specifically that none of your characters will lose their name.

If you're not - better level those fellas and gals up before they become Generic Jedi #42! The "I will level them at some point" defense no longer holds any meaning for non-subs. Use them or free them up for those of us who will!

HoloTweed
10.18.2013 , 11:44 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Big question about the name wipes:

Say there is someone you know who falls into the category of getting their name wiped, but they plan on coming back and and want to make sure they keep it? Do they need to re-subscribe to reserve their name, or can they just log in Preferred and show there was some activity?
Based on the Update we both read, your friend either needs to re-sub (and stay subbed through Nov 12) or at least level the characters they want past 10.

Otherwise, no more hoarding names. About time!

SithEBM
10.18.2013 , 11:49 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hey everyone,

Senior Producer Bruce Maclean has posted a SWTOR Holiday Update - Give it a read here!
Nice, Season 1. Too bad nobody/very few guilds is/are going to be around to participate in it on PoT5.

Hopefully the main people in charge realize that Class balance and fixing bugs with Arena should be their first priority.

ZETA_SCORPII
10.18.2013 , 12:02 PM | #24
Can we get some Santa beards in the CM? I'd buy the fat body appearance for the holidays.

MisterBlackJack
10.18.2013 , 12:04 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
You want feedback?

MORE CLASS STORY.

Start listening to the people who have been asking for it at almost EVERY CANTINA EVENT, as well as in the forums.

There's my feedback. Great work on the other stuff, but don't brush off those playing the game for our character's story...
I love class stories just as much as the next person. Played all 8 classes to 55 (agent trumps all obviously ). But I think its time we came to terms that the class stories are not coming back. Bioware Devs have made it clear time and time again they will not be doing them anymore. It's time we accept that this is their decision and work on how we can improve the world stories and how we can intergrate class stories within the world stories.

So here's my suggestion. I think a good idea is have class story moments that can make the world stories distinct enough but still follow the same paths. For example lets say the next new planet is Sleyheron and one of the Shroud's Lts is hiding out there and its up to Republic and Imperial players to find and take the Lt out. Lets say as an Agent you discover that the Lt is actually a member of the Star Cabal and he has information on where the rest of the members location if you let him go. We may not see differences quest wise but the story itself can be distinctive enough that it can feel different each time.
THE FORCE FIGHTS WITH ME.....IN THE C.E. V.I.P LOUNGE

chuixupu
10.18.2013 , 12:06 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
Based on the Update we both read, your friend either needs to re-sub (and stay subbed through Nov 12) or at least level the characters they want past 10.

Otherwise, no more hoarding names. About time!
I read it several times and I don't see any clear indication that one HAS to sub. I highly doubt they're looking to clear all names that are under 10 that aren't subscribers -. Inactive is the key. So I would assume that just logging in would do the trick. Why would they wipe free players that are actively logging in?

Incidentally I've been a big proponent of name wipes for a long time. I'm certain there are thousands upon thousands of names that were created in the first couple of months from people that tried the game out and never returned and have no plans on returning. However, they need to be smart about this and not piss any players off if it can be avoided.

I'm not asking to complain about their decision - I'm asking so that people can know exactly what to expect without any shadow of a doubt.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Costello
10.18.2013 , 12:18 PM | #27
So the next few months are mostly about PvP mini-games with the start of Season 1 4v4 arenas and then the launch of a new Makeb Arena 4v4 and then the launch of the Super Secret Space Project which leaves PvE space as boring rail shooter but does bring in 12v12 PvP mini game. Are we going to see any Open World PvP. With Warhammer Age of Reckoning finally being killed off will any of the RvR style content make it to ToR? Or is all TOR going to offer in the way of PvP fight clubbing?

Why are you rehashing the Gree Event? I'd be surprised if there are many people that haven't max rep for this event and wonder what it brings to the game that we see it rehashed every few months. If you have to rehash content can't we have the rakghoul plague back or even a rebranded acquisitions race?

And what is happening to the 4th pillar of story or PvE for that matter. As a Theme Park game with little meaningful PvP and few mini-games, no real chat options, very limited crafting (much of which is fairly bad quality as the best looking stuff is sold in the CC and the best gear is from operations) and no housing etc what is the plan to keep the PvE players logging in over the holiday period (those that don't need double xp). It seems that End game is now PvP or Operations which is a far cry from the level 1 to 50 (55 with Makeb but even this didn't live up to the class story driven original cap). Is the 4th Pillar no longer part of the BW design and what are players that were drawn in by it and the VO and the feel of the 1 to 50 game to do when they hit end game. Is BW philosophy PvP or Ops or Go home. Even the dailies that have been added been turned into mission boxes to make it clear VO and choice is not an option.

Roughneck
10.18.2013 , 12:19 PM | #28
I hope we can get some free renaming. Got a char I really want to give an other name cause now its sucks
Kor'anor: Lighting Sorcerer (lvl60)
Wolf'anor: Marksman Sniper (lvl60)

Other games: http://warofdragons.com/register.php?referrer=Nighthawk

Nee-Elder
10.18.2013 , 12:57 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
So the next few months are mostly about PvP mini-games with the start of Season 1 4v4 arenas and then the launch of a new Makeb Arena 4v4 and then the launch of the Super Secret Space Project which leaves PvE space as boring rail shooter

Is the 4th Pillar no longer part of the BW design and what are players that were drawn in by it and the VO and the feel of the 1 to 50 game to do when they hit end game. Is BW philosophy PvP or Ops or Go home. Even the dailies that have been added been turned into mission boxes to make it clear VO and choice is not an option.
Unfortunately, it would seem that BioWare's coveted "4th Pillar" has all but crumbled many months ago, kicked-in by the heavy-hand/foot (and light wallet) of EA.

SWG had The Greatest Story Ever Told: 'Yours' .

TOR has The BioWare'est Story Never Continued: 'ALTs'

Such a shame too, cuz imo TOR's *combat system* is far superior & more enjoyable than anything else out there (except maybe ESO's...maybe) .

Oh well, at least it's still Star Wars i suppose.
I love(d) Pre-CU, CU, JTL, SWG, EMU, and TOR. Yeah that's right: *all* of them.
TEAMISB

MisterBlackJack
10.18.2013 , 01:02 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
So the next few months are mostly about PvP mini-games with the start of Season 1 4v4 arenas and then the launch of a new Makeb Arena 4v4 and then the launch of the Super Secret Space Project which leaves PvE space as boring rail shooter but does bring in 12v12 PvP mini game. Are we going to see any Open World PvP. With Warhammer Age of Reckoning finally being killed off will any of the RvR style content make it to ToR? Or is all TOR going to offer in the way of PvP fight clubbing?

Why are you rehashing the Gree Event? I'd be surprised if there are many people that haven't max rep for this event and wonder what it brings to the game that we see it rehashed every few months. If you have to rehash content can't we have the rakghoul plague back or even a rebranded acquisitions race?

And what is happening to the 4th pillar of story or PvE for that matter. As a Theme Park game with little meaningful PvP and few mini-games, no real chat options, very limited crafting (much of which is fairly bad quality as the best looking stuff is sold in the CC and the best gear is from operations) and no housing etc what is the plan to keep the PvE players logging in over the holiday period (those that don't need double xp). It seems that End game is now PvP or Operations which is a far cry from the level 1 to 50 (55 with Makeb but even this didn't live up to the class story driven original cap). Is the 4th Pillar no longer part of the BW design and what are players that were drawn in by it and the VO and the feel of the 1 to 50 game to do when they hit end game. Is BW philosophy PvP or Ops or Go home. Even the dailies that have been added been turned into mission boxes to make it clear VO and choice is not an option.
This depends on your definition of Story. If you are referring to class stories, then yes that has come to an end, Bioware has made it very clear they do not plan on going back there. However story is not just class, its about the world that is created and how does your character effect the world. Makeb is a good example of this as we see how imperial players help bring about the Return of Imperial domination or we see how Republic players are involved in the securing of newly found resources like CZ198. I think too many people got caught up with class stories (myslef included) but based off of bioware's statements it's clear that class stories are not sustainable in an MMO. Now its about the group work and people getting together to fight for their faction. The 4th pillar is still here its just been modified from how it was originally planned.

Edit: also I would like to add that I think us PvErs need to take a few steps back and just relax. It isn't the end of that PvPers are finally getting some love. Lets be real, PvErs have been enjoying the candy shop that is content forever while PvPers have simply had to lick their lips outside the store. Outside of 2.4 its been almost an entire year before pvpers saw any real updates. Now that they are getting some attention lets not bash Bioware for given a good portion of the community some love FINALLY. So chill out for a bit
THE FORCE FIGHTS WITH ME.....IN THE C.E. V.I.P LOUNGE