Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 16: Exar Kun vs. Darth Krayt

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 16: Exar Kun vs. Darth Krayt

Aurbere
10.17.2013 , 01:41 PM | #1
Welcome to the final match of Round 1! Several battles of epic proportions have been waged between incredibly powerful Force users. But now we have reached the final match of the First Round, and it shall prove to be the greatest battle of them all. What will happen when Darth Krayt meets Exar Kun in battle? We can only find out when these two Sith Lords face off in The BattleZone!

Battlefield: Iron Citadel of Cinnagar

Lightsaber Skill:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun was truly unique in his day. His skill in lightsaber combat was unrivaled. He had developed a mastery of Niman, taking the form to its highest levels by throwing out the formís tendency for moderation. Through his mastery of Niman, Exar Kun achieved a high degree of mastery in Forms I-V.

Over time, Exar Kun expanded his mastery to Juyo and Ataru, essentially mastering all forms of lightsaber combat. In his prime, his form was built around speed and unpredictability.

His lightsaber was unique as well. It bore the designs of a standard single-bladed weapon, but it was actually of double-bladed lightsaber. Exar Kun wielded this lightsaber with one hand, and used the weaponís special functionalities to increase and decrease the length of the blade as he pleased, further increasing his unpredictability.

Darth Krayt:

Darth Krayt was a master of JaríKai dual blade combat, and the sixth form of Jedi lightsaber combat, Niman. He was also a master of Juyo and Ataru. His masterful skill with using two weapons did not detract from his skill with a single blade as he showed equal proficiency in both.

Darth Krayt was brutally efficient in his form. He had fully mastered his rage, using it to enhance his abilities in the Force and lightsaber combat.

After reaching his prime, Darth Krayt was capable of fairly easily defeating Cade Skywalker in lightsaber combat. He also defeated Darth Wyyrlok in a lightsaber duel.

Edge: It is difficult to give the edge here as they have very similar levels of skill. However, Exar Kun has a very unique double-bladed lightsaber that allows for incredible unpredictability. So Exar Kun's unique weapon and sheer mastery of Niman give him the edge.

Physicality:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun is a young human male in his prime, but other than that, he has no real exceptional physical attributes.

Darth Krayt:

Darth Krayt has spent decades overcoming the physical weaknesses that were forced on him. After his final rebirth, these physical weaknesses were removed utterly.

Edge: They are both your average human, so neither of them get the edge.

Mentality:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun was considered to be arrogant, but he never gave in to arrogance, and was generally capable of great tactical insight and planning, as well as manipulation.

Exar Kun was also a capable user of Dun Moch, the Sith tactic of psychological warfare.

Darth Krayt:

Darth Krayt was not the normal Sith Lord. He was focused on rebirthing the Sith and working towards creating a better Sith Empire, one bereft of the constant pursuit of power. However, the fear of death clawed at his mind, and his fear drove him to find a way to save himself from it.

Eventually, though, he no longer feared death and viewed it as a means of rebirth. He sought the rebirth of the galaxy through death.

Darth Krayt had also made peace with his past. After Darth Wyyrlok tried to use Sith Sorcery on him, Darth Krayt cast aside Wyyrlokís attack and cut him down.

Edge: Both of them are capable of great tactical insight and a willingness to do what it takes to achieve their own goals. Darth Kraytís strength of will also makes it unlikely that Exar Kun would be able to use Dun Moch effectively against him. They are effectively even in this area.

Force Abilities:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kunís rise to power was a product of him wearing Sith artifacts, but these eventually lost their significance, and Kun only wore them as a means of intimidation.

Exar Kun fully mastered the esoteric powers of the dark side. He was a master of Sith Sorcery and Sith Magic, using these skills to create deadly Sith War Beasts and powerful rituals. He could even induce complete paralysis of large crowds of people through Sith Sorcery. Exar Kunís mastery of the dark side was evident in his ability to unleash blasts of pure dark side energy to completely annihilate his foes. These blasts were incredibly lethal and could only be defended against by those with intimate knowledge of Sith Sorcery.

Exar Kun was also capable of Force Flight, an ability he used in conjunction with his usage of Ataru.

His Force Senses were also incredibly powerful. He used his Force Sense to track down Ulic Qel-Droma from across the galaxy.

Darth Krayt:

Darth Krayt was a very powerful Sith Lord. He continued to grow in power over decades of living. His strength in the dark side was such that his power could be felt by every Sith in the galaxy.

Darth Krayt was a master of Force lightning, using it to destroy stone fortifications, and instantly kill creatures with simple bursts. His mastery was such that he matched Darth Wyyrlok during their battle.

Darth Krayt was a powerful user of telekinesis. He could redirect objects thrown at him, or utterly destroy stone.

Darth Krayt had a talent for Farsight. He was able to see his rebirth and his ability to heal himself of the Vong implants. He could predict his future with incredible clarity.

Darth Krayt had developed a mastery of esoteric dark side abilities. He could use Sith magic to prolong his life despite his failing body, though he also used stasis to prolong his life as well. He could project Force illusions, Mind Walk, and use Force Drain.

Darth Krayt had even mastered the very rare Dark Transfer. He could use this ability to augment his healing abilities by considerable levels. He could use this ability to incapacitate, and resuscitate others at will, or even kill them if he so chose.

Krayt was also capable of seeing shatterpoints everywhere.

Darth Krayt has also showed the willingness to apply his impressive Force abilities in combat.

Edge: Exar Kun appears to be the more powerful Force user, mastering fully the esoteric powers of the dark side to destroy his foes. However, Darth Krayt has powerful abilities of his own, abilities that he has used to annihilate his opponents.

So it comes down to their willingness to use the Force in combat. Exar Kun has rarely used the Force in combat, but Krayt has and he has even defended himself against lightsaber wielding opponents through the Force alone. And while Exar Kun has Force blasts available to him, Darth Krayt is still more likely to use his Force abilities, so he gets the edge here.

Thoughts: Remember that the edge in the Force abilities section is more than just for the stronger Force user. There are many variables to consider. Also, it has been quite some time since I read anything in the Legacy era, so I apologize for anything missed or incorrect.

So who will win? Who is truly superior?
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere
10.17.2013 , 01:50 PM | #3
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

sell-dog
10.17.2013 , 02:33 PM | #4
Krayt is without armor correct?
"What's the difference between hot and cold doughnuts?"
"The difference is: cold ones I can eat 8, hot ones I can eat 48!"

LadyKulvax
10.17.2013 , 02:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by sell-dog View Post
Krayt is without armor correct?
His prime, much like Bane's is without his Iron Man suit er- i mean Vong Growth Armor.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

Aurbere
10.17.2013 , 02:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
His prime, much like Bane's is without his Iron Man suit er- i mean Vong Growth Armor.
^This for two reasons.

1. It's correct
2. It's funny

Aurbere
10.18.2013 , 02:08 PM | #7
So... who wants to get the ball rolling?

LadyKulvax
10.18.2013 , 02:09 PM | #8
I've been thinking this over and over, I see it coming down to this, who gets desperate enough to go for their ace cards first? either Kun goes for one of his big charge Blasts and kills Krayt that way or Krayt goes for Dark Transfer, I am not certain either of them would allow themselves to be killed by a lightsaber blade, they would eventually pull out their Force Prowess.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

Aurbere
10.18.2013 , 04:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
I've been thinking this over and over, I see it coming down to this, who gets desperate enough to go for their ace cards first? either Kun goes for one of his big charge Blasts and kills Krayt that way or Krayt goes for Dark Transfer, I am not certain either of them would allow themselves to be killed by a lightsaber blade, they would eventually pull out their Force Prowess.
I agree.

Aurbere
10.18.2013 , 08:12 PM | #10
So following Rayla's line of thinking, I believe that Krayt would be the first to use his Force abilities.