Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting for profit, crafting skills that generate income based on "market"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting for profit, crafting skills that generate income based on "market"

Larkie
10.24.2013 , 11:17 AM | #21
What people need to realize about the amount of credits he says he's making..it's probably true, but then he didn't say profit..he said that's how much they bring in. Actual profit after costs could be half that.

Besides that, he is clearly a full-time crafter. By that I mean that crafting in this game is either his second "job" irl or possibly his first..there are a lot of people out there that do nothing but play video games all day. If you're not willing to dedicate that kind of time then you aren't going to make that kind of cash selling low-level items. And, really, unless you enjoy it why would you want to spend several hours a day crafting? Credits should not be your motivation.

psandak
10.24.2013 , 12:53 PM | #22
While Benovide's guide is good, it is too specific to his server. Here are my, more generic tips for crafting for profit:

#1 ALL crafting skills have items that are profitable. Some have a more limited pool than others.
  • Armormech (AM) and Synthweaving (SW) are nearly exclusively augments and augment slot kits. any armor sold by these skills is generally a one shot deal
  • Armstech (AT) is honestly about the same as AM and SW. Add barrels to augments and slot kits, but the augments are not as widely desired as those from AM and SW.
  • Biochem (BC) sells stims and implants. Prototype (blue) quality stims survive death so they are great for PvE and PvP. Some of the top end "trained" implants are better than token acquired, but not all and one obviously must be willing to spend the time and credits to Reverse Engineer (RE) to get the purple schematics.
  • Artifice (AR) sells enhancements, hilts, and relics. there are a lot of different enhancements but honestly only a handful sell regularly, BUT even the "less desirable" enhancements have a market. Hilts are only good for Jedi and Strength companions (e.g. Bowdaar). Like BC implants, AR relics can be very desirable.
  • Cybertech (CT) has the widest range of desired items: armoring, mods, and ear pieces. In my experience ALL armor plates do sell, and do so at good prices, but some sell faster than others with more regularity. With mods, I have found that ALL the mods with power or crit sell regularly. Anything with defensive stats (defense, shield, absorb) will also sell decently.
#2 all that being said, different servers behave differently. My server is The Harbinger and pricing fluctuates but is reasonably predictable: every item has a range of value that the overwhelming majority of the players have settled into. If one wants to get into crafting one must take the time to learn one's own server's markets. And there WILL be some growing pains i.e. you look at the GTM one day and see that item X is selling really well at a good price, so you decide to craft some only to find that the price has crashed and/or the item is not selling as quickly as you thought.

#3 with the above in mind, patience is the first key. item X described in #2 might be on the downside now, but don't fret, the value WILL rebound eventually through either demand going up (a new crop of characters coming through that now needs item X) or supply going down (those who made item X see the crash and get out of that market for a while).

#4 the second key is diversity. One needs to have his/her fingers in as many markets as possible. This will even out the flow of credits. When one market is down, another is up. By having market diversity one insures a more consistent flow of credits.

#5 although markets rebound they do not necessarily rebound to their original highs. Plain and simple, the GTM is a buyer's market. If buyers are no longer willing to buy then prices must come down. And as a seller, one must be willing to either accept the new value range or get out of that market entirely.

#6 with that in mind, each seller must decide for themselves the lowest price they will sell for. This is the lowest net profit one is willing to accept considering the time and credits invested. For some a very small profit is worthwhile, for others not so much. There is also the high side to consider too. Some sellers will post items at outrageous prices simply because they can. That in no way indicates that those items will sell at those prices. A good seller needs to realize this and make sure that their high end value is reasonable.

#7 Never believe for one second that gathered materials (from nodes) are free. Those materials have value...your time. Furthermore, that value is represented in credits by the postings on the GTM. If you, as an individual, feel that your time is worth less than what the GTM expresses, that's fine, but you are selling yourself short if you believe your time is worth nothing.

#8 along those lines: in my opinion, farming materials via nodes is a waste of time, in this game. One's time is more efficiently spent sending companions on missions and one participating in other aspects of the game (like daily quests, FPs, PvP, etc) than dedicating time to gathering materials. Gathered materials via nodes while participating in other aspects of the game are a nice bonus.

benovide
10.26.2013 , 02:05 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
While Benovide's guide is good, it is too specific to his server. Here are my, more generic tips for crafting for profit:

#1 ALL crafting skills have items that are profitable. Some have a more limited pool than others.
  • Armormech (AM) and Synthweaving (SW) are nearly exclusively augments and augment slot kits. any armor sold by these skills is generally a one shot deal
  • Armstech (AT) is honestly about the same as AM and SW. Add barrels to augments and slot kits, but the augments are not as widely desired as those from AM and SW.
  • Biochem (BC) sells stims and implants. Prototype (blue) quality stims survive death so they are great for PvE and PvP. Some of the top end "trained" implants are better than token acquired, but not all and one obviously must be willing to spend the time and credits to Reverse Engineer (RE) to get the purple schematics.
  • Artifice (AR) sells enhancements, hilts, and relics. there are a lot of different enhancements but honestly only a handful sell regularly, BUT even the "less desirable" enhancements have a market. Hilts are only good for Jedi and Strength companions (e.g. Bowdaar). Like BC implants, AR relics can be very desirable.
  • Cybertech (CT) has the widest range of desired items: armoring, mods, and ear pieces. In my experience ALL armor plates do sell, and do so at good prices, but some sell faster than others with more regularity. With mods, I have found that ALL the mods with power or crit sell regularly. Anything with defensive stats (defense, shield, absorb) will also sell decently.
#2 all that being said, different servers behave differently. My server is The Harbinger and pricing fluctuates but is reasonably predictable: every item has a range of value that the overwhelming majority of the players have settled into. If one wants to get into crafting one must take the time to learn one's own server's markets. And there WILL be some growing pains i.e. you look at the GTM one day and see that item X is selling really well at a good price, so you decide to craft some only to find that the price has crashed and/or the item is not selling as quickly as you thought.

#3 with the above in mind, patience is the first key. item X described in #2 might be on the downside now, but don't fret, the value WILL rebound eventually through either demand going up (a new crop of characters coming through that now needs item X) or supply going down (those who made item X see the crash and get out of that market for a while).

#4 the second key is diversity. One needs to have his/her fingers in as many markets as possible. This will even out the flow of credits. When one market is down, another is up. By having market diversity one insures a more consistent flow of credits.

#5 although markets rebound they do not necessarily rebound to their original highs. Plain and simple, the GTM is a buyer's market. If buyers are no longer willing to buy then prices must come down. And as a seller, one must be willing to either accept the new value range or get out of that market entirely.

#6 with that in mind, each seller must decide for themselves the lowest price they will sell for. This is the lowest net profit one is willing to accept considering the time and credits invested. For some a very small profit is worthwhile, for others not so much. There is also the high side to consider too. Some sellers will post items at outrageous prices simply because they can. That in no way indicates that those items will sell at those prices. A good seller needs to realize this and make sure that their high end value is reasonable.

#7 Never believe for one second that gathered materials (from nodes) are free. Those materials have value...your time. Furthermore, that value is represented in credits by the postings on the GTM. If you, as an individual, feel that your time is worth less than what the GTM expresses, that's fine, but you are selling yourself short if you believe your time is worth nothing.

#8 along those lines: in my opinion, farming materials via nodes is a waste of time, in this game. One's time is more efficiently spent sending companions on missions and one participating in other aspects of the game (like daily quests, FPs, PvP, etc) than dedicating time to gathering materials. Gathered materials via nodes while participating in other aspects of the game are a nice bonus.
Doesn't really mean much when you're making so little, and everyone else is making so much more.

benovide
10.26.2013 , 02:06 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Larkie View Post
What people need to realize about the amount of credits he says he's making..it's probably true, but then he didn't say profit..he said that's how much they bring in. Actual profit after costs could be half that.

Besides that, he is clearly a full-time crafter. By that I mean that crafting in this game is either his second "job" irl or possibly his first..there are a lot of people out there that do nothing but play video games all day. If you're not willing to dedicate that kind of time then you aren't going to make that kind of cash selling low-level items. And, really, unless you enjoy it why would you want to spend several hours a day crafting? Credits should not be your motivation.
not if you have companions manufacturing items while you play. And no, I don't play all day, I log on, have my toons produce items, log off, next to, rinse repeat. Do what I have to do during the day, come back, repeat, then at night I play to play when I can.

benovide
10.26.2013 , 02:31 PM | #25
BTW if resource gathering is not profitable, you have no room to even be discussing this topic.

Two rounds across Balmorra just grabbing Bronzium and Plasteel, can generate 600k worth in mats. five laps across dromund kaas gathering desh and silica, can generate 100k worth in mats. If you know the locations where it appears, it only takes an hour or two to do the full laps all the way through to the sith temple.

Doing laps for Chanlon, one lap for chanlon can generate 400k.

The GTN is never stagnent on mods and mats. It has never been stagnent on any server I have ever seen, if anything prices go up, not down. Demand is HUGE for mats just on their own without the mission mats. Chanlon can generate 1k-3k a piece. stacks of 10, 20, or 99 can generate 10k-300k credits.

If you're not generating rediculous profits just selling mats alone, you're doing it so so so very wrong.

psandak
10.27.2013 , 12:09 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by benovide View Post
Doesn't really mean much when you're making so little, and everyone else is making so much more.
Huh? I make 500k per day, only efforting to work crew skills an average of twice a day: once in the morning, and once in the evening. Sure, If I dedicated myself to being online every hour on the hour I could make 20 times that, but then I would not have a RL job that pays RL money. I would lose my house, car(s), and probably my family (not to mention my ability to play this game.

Fact is that the tips I listed have worked for me in MANY MMOs for more than a decade. So, I think I know what I am talking about.

psandak
10.27.2013 , 12:39 PM | #27
BTW if resource gathering is not profitable, you have no room to even be discussing this topic.

Two rounds across Balmorra just grabbing Bronzium and Plasteel, can generate 600k worth in mats. five laps across dromund kaas gathering desh and silica, can generate 100k worth in mats. If you know the locations where it appears, it only takes an hour or two to do the full laps all the way through to the sith temple.

The GTN is never stagnent on mods and mats. It has never been stagnent on any server I have ever seen, if anything prices go up, not down. Demand is HUGE for mats just on their own without the mission mats. Chanlon can generate 1k-3k a piece. stacks of 10, 20, or 99 can generate 10k-300k credits.

If you're not generating rediculous profits just selling mats alone, you're doing it so so so very wrong.
But how long does that gathering take? Personally, i would rather spend 20 minutes running a set of dailies that more than makes up for the expenditure of running missions than spending any more than that running around a planet. But different strokes for different folks.

Maestrodomus
10.27.2013 , 08:48 PM | #28

Lol two hours, jesus. Give me ten minutes buying mats on the GTN and q'ing up some crafting companions and I'll double that.
Dark Fury [Canderous Ordo]

benovide
10.28.2013 , 01:56 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Maestrodomus View Post
Lol two hours, jesus. Give me ten minutes buying mats on the GTN and q'ing up some crafting companions and I'll double that.
For people who aren't established enough to buy mats, gathering them turns huge profits. as far as time to gather them, it doesn't take long at all.

As far as generating income, there is a reason why some players have 10mil - 5Bil and others barely break 1mil. Selling Armoring 31s Artifact Quality today, I just broke 25 million selling them for 300k a piece. With only 80k in mats each. Selling only artifact quality Guardian Mods, I sold 50 of them at 400k each. Mats cost 100k roughly.

I've never found prices my items wouldn't sell for. I have a guild master who is already given me 20 mil of their guild credits as 1/3 payment for a bunch of Armor Plates and Mods usable for levels 20-40 of prototype quality. Each phase I get another 20mil from their guild bank.

Another guild who is next in line has a 15 mil contract for a bunch of mods and plates usable by levels 11-31. Because the bulk of their players are lower levels.

In your time, how many builds have actually come to you for your services vs not?

And as far as a life goes, I work 60hrs a week. And still make time to hop into the game to craft. get mats, buy mats, and still have time with my GF.

Maestrodomus
10.28.2013 , 11:03 AM | #30
What the hell are you talking about?
Dark Fury [Canderous Ordo]