Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class specializations and lore accuracy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Class specializations and lore accuracy

Xilizhra
09.18.2013 , 06:48 PM | #1
I'm not as familiar with the Expanded Universe as some, so... how many of the class specializations have an accurate basis in Star Wars lore? The Sith Sorcerer was the first one that seemed somewhat dodgy to me; even the greatest sorcerer in the galaxy, Palpatine, fought primarily with a lightsaber and not with constant lightning barrages (the commonality of Force lightning in the game also bugs me a bit, as I seem to recall that it requires an uncommon thirst for power to be able to channel properly), and I likewise, I don't know of any Jedi who's primary combat move was telekinesis, or any Sith or Jedi who could battlefield heal in the way some Sorcerers/Sages could. Are there examples for this in the actual lore?

That, of course, doesn't get into the healing specializations for the non-Force classes and all of their miraculous kolto weaponry...

Xakthul
09.19.2013 , 03:18 AM | #2
Palpantine only seldom used his lightsaber. He actually lost it on Coruscant, and only used the Force after that. He was able to make continuous lightning, as was Dooku.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

AlexDougherty
09.19.2013 , 03:36 AM | #3
Sith Sorceror is based on characters from comics
Sith Assassin is based on KOTOR and KOTOR2.

Sith Juggernaut is based on Darth Vader
Sith Marrauder is based on multiple sith, some of which even dual wielded

Bounty hunter Mercenary is based on several BH's including Jango Fett
Bounty Hunter Powertech is based on several BH's including Boba Fett

Imperial Agent Sniper is based on character in comics who was hunting Jedi, prefered to kill them from a distance.
Imperial Operative is based on several characters who fought in several ways (blaster, knife, bombs) with a stealth field added for flavour

Scoundrel is based on Han Solo, with healing added as a game mechanic
Gunslinger is based on several rogues many of whom (but not all) used two blasters

Commando is based on trooper medics (mostly clone trooper but sme stormtrooper too)
Vanguard is based on heavy blaster wielding Troopers (again mostly clone trooper)

Jedi Guardian is loosely based on the lightsaber wielding of the Jedi in the films
Jedi Sentinal is loosely based on the fights were Anakin wielded two sabers

Jedi Sage is based on the powers the jedi used
Jedi Shadow was created to balance the sith assassin

Should be noted that in the books jedi both used powers like the Sage and wielded lightsabers like the Guardian, and thanks to Luke's influence the new order also like to carry a single blaster in their offhand, to deal with people sneaking up on them.

Also while Sith warriors used less force powers than their sorceror kin, they still had more powers than in this game, Vader was keen on using telekinesis to pelt enemies with objects for example.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Xakthul
09.19.2013 , 03:57 AM | #4
Sith Assassin is based off Maul, not KOTOR. And sorcerer was either based off Palpatine or Dooku. Possibly the latter, as Palpantine only has a lightsaber for about five minutes of Revenge of the Sith.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

AlrikFassbauer
09.19.2013 , 04:33 AM | #5
So, no Jedi is based on Luke ? Or Yoda ?

(Yoda -> Sage, maybe ?)
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

AlexDougherty
09.19.2013 , 05:21 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
Sith Assassin is based off Maul, not KOTOR. And sorcerer was either based off Palpatine or Dooku. Possibly the latter, as Palpantine only has a lightsaber for about five minutes of Revenge of the Sith.
Kotor2 had assassins before Maul even existed, they weilded staffswords rather than staffsabers true, but they cloaked and were very deadly. So Sith Assissins were based on Kotor2, but I will accept that Maul added to the concept.

Sith Sorceror was based more off the comic Sith Sorcerors such as Naga Sadow than Palpatine, although his use of lightning is emphasised in the Sorceror, but again in the comics Sith were constantly throwing lightning at their Jedi foes.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Xilizhra
09.19.2013 , 05:29 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
Palpantine only seldom used his lightsaber. He actually lost it on Coruscant, and only used the Force after that. He was able to make continuous lightning, as was Dooku.
He had around six backups, and used another one in the duel against Yoda, which he didn't lose. I do appreciate pointing out the comics, though; that does help, and is actually rather interesting.

Could any of them use Corruption-esque abilities to heal continuously?

Darkelefantos
09.19.2013 , 07:01 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Kotor2 had assassins before Maul even existed
Maul had his debut in The Phantom Menace in 1999, Kotor 2 came out in 2005. So unless you live in another dimension, I reckon your statement is fairly impossible to uphold.

But Maul's outfit and agile fighting style seemingly had more influence on the Marauder than on the Assassin, who, as you said, is more influenced by Kotor. Like the Inquisitor in general if you ask me. It reminds me of Darth Traya (and I just looked this up - Darth Traya knew Force Cloak).

Xilizhra
09.19.2013 , 07:03 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkelefantos View Post
Maul had his debut in The Phantom Menace in 1999, Kotor 2 came out in 2005. So unless you live in another dimension, I reckon your statement is fairly impossible to uphold.

But Maul's outfit and agile fighting style seemingly had more influence on the Marauder than on the Assassin, who, as you said, is more influenced by Kotor. Like the Inquisitor in general if you ask me. It reminds me of Darth Traya (and I just looked this up - Darth Traya knew Force Cloak).
Maul was definitely a Sith Warrior, and I think the Marauder should have gotten double-bladed lightsabers as a possibility in addition to two single ones.

Euphrosyne
09.19.2013 , 09:55 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkelefantos View Post

Yes, Maul predated KotOR 2 by several years. But the first double-bladed lightsaber in Star Wars canon actually dates back to 1995, when Exar Kun brandished one against his former master during his epic duel in the Senate Rotunda. Before that issue, Kun had actually been shown with a conventional single-bladed lightsaber, although he wore and employed it differently than the other Force users in the series.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil