Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Worst P2W I've seen.

Buggs
09.01.2013 , 02:04 AM | #1
What an awful waste of a great game and some great content.

The billions of credits floating around needs sorting out.

The fact that there's so many things that can be bought for RL cash and then sold to easily build up enormous piles of credits which are then turned into game-difficulty defining gear is ridiculous. At the least packs and market items bought should have the binding time removed and be permanently bound to legacy to allow moving items to an appropriate toon of the buyer's. Things like helping f2p items should still be tradable but the rest allows pay2win to an insane degree.

I understand the company philosophy and "The game needs to be profitable" but seriously, how many mmo's have a significant life-span with this type of economy?

HoloTweed
09.01.2013 , 02:10 AM | #2
It's not P2W. If you think it is, then you really don't understand what P2W means.

jedip_enguin
09.01.2013 , 02:10 AM | #3
I don't think you understand what Pay2Win means.
Dat referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

AdrianDmitruk
09.01.2013 , 02:12 AM | #4
EVE Online says hi.

"But, but, they only sell PLEX and maybe a monocle here and there!"

Step 1: Buy 50 plex
Step 2: Sell 50 plex for 400-500mil each (last I checked)
Step 3: Search contract market for high end bling, and/or check the officially sanctioned and regulated characters for sale forum to buy a toon with skills you want (thus bypassing months or years of RL training time on your own toon)
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

Though it is hilarious when a blinged out, P2W PVE ship gets ganked by a clever PVPer when said P2W PVEr is clueless as to EVE's PVP risk mechanics.
Adrian-Defense Guardian | Kerrik-Vigilance Guardian | Matari-Scoundrel Healer | Treston-Pyromaniac Vanguard | Eamen-Sage Healer
Kendrew-Op Healer | Andreus-Sorc Healer | Matarion-Juggernaut Smasher | Darrien-Veng Juggernaut
The Makaryk Legacy of Healing to Full - Begeren Colony
Referral Link - Click for 7 days' sub time and other free stuff

TheNahash
09.01.2013 , 02:13 AM | #5
Nope, the OP doesn't get what P2W is.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

Buggs
09.01.2013 , 02:15 AM | #6
Then explain it. I know what P2W means in the mmo's I've played. Tell me yours.

jedip_enguin
09.01.2013 , 02:21 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Buggs View Post
Pay2Win means being forced to spend money so as not to be at a competitive disadvantage.

As the most you can do in this game is pimp out a toon in the second highest tier of PvE armour/mods with no set bonuses and better equipment with set bonuses etc can only be obtained through play, this game does not qualify.

Also, people had the money to do this before the CM via playing the GTN game, so it's a moot point anyway.
Dat referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

TheNahash
09.01.2013 , 02:22 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Buggs View Post
P2W is when the shop sells items that
a. make your characters overpowered for their level - but most importantly, for endgame PVE and PVP content.
b. cannot be acquired any other way except by buying them for real-life money from the shop.

That is not the case here.
And even though you might be right that you can make credits much easier than you normally would, by selling Cartel Market items even if you go on to make 1 billion credits, you CANNOT buy the highest tier of gear because it's not craftable. At best, you might end up with a character whose PVE gear is one level below the highest tier and your bank account will have hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars/euros etc less than it did. For PVP, things are even simpler: you can have 1 billion credits and it would still make no difference in PVP, because the only way to get PVP gear is by getting Warzone/Ranked Warzone commendations.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

LordArtemis
09.01.2013 , 02:31 AM | #9
Quote:
Worst P2W I've seen.
Then you haven't seen much P2W IMO, which is not surprising.

This is not P2W. There were a few items on the market that could fit into a P2W definition, but have been there for quite some time (a few crystals and the ship upgrades).

This model is very similar to many successful hybrid models on the market. If anything it is TOO RESTRICTIVE and therefore not as profitable as it could be....they still try and push folks to sub which seems like a lost opportunity for profit to me.

Buggs
09.01.2013 , 02:33 AM | #10
Yep exactly, however I'm thinking beyond this.

Anyway I realised I cba with the point as it'll be opposed by those with the credits and they would claim to have none anyway.