Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can there ever be peace with the Empire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Can there ever be peace with the Empire?

Xilizhra
08.29.2013 , 07:45 PM | #1
I once believed this, and my inquisitor does thus far... but I may stop playing her, because I doubt it myself, and can't bring myself to corrupt Ashara.

While I normally advocate for as much coexistence as possible, I don't think the Empire is really capable of it. The political structure is dominated by theocrats indoctrinated into a system of constant aggression, who need to redirect their subordinates' wrath onto other targets to avoid internal power struggles as much as possible (which doesn't eliminate them by any means, thus creating the Empire's biggest weakness and likely the main reason why it will lose). As such, with the structure of the Sith Empire being what it is, either the entire political structure needs to be torn down and replaced with something different, or it just needs to be subsumed into the Republic. There seems to be relatively little that can be salvaged there.

As an aside, I'd also favor annexing Hutt Space if there could ever be a casus belli, because their rights violations are utterly disgusting and they're responsible for far too much organized crime.

BacaWicket
08.29.2013 , 08:05 PM | #2
yeah, many wise sith like marr see infighting as a weakness so he wants the entire empire united and have it be antixenophobic where aliens start serving the empire

BrianDavion
08.30.2013 , 01:56 PM | #3
As the Sith Code itself says "Peace is a lie" the Sith are never going to have a long term peace with the Republic. you have to remember the Sith have been hiding for a THOUSAND YEARS basicly stewing on their hate and their desire for vengence.

Bleeters
08.30.2013 , 03:59 PM | #4
On a side note, corrupting Ashara isn't really a thing you have to do. She certainly has problems with the Jedi code regardless, but you can avoid manipulating and/or exposing her to the dark side on Taris if you prefer. I'm not sure how much difference it really makes to her character by comparison, though.

As to your question, no. Not whilst the Sith hold absolute authority.

DaShuk
08.30.2013 , 07:39 PM | #5
Malgus does try to lead a revolution of sorts where aliens are embraced, at least by his supposed regime. He apparently had a vision for a more progressive Empire, he even tries to help you out on Ilum as a Republic player.

I wouldn't put much stock in the Sith Code either, after all they harp on later about the "Rule of Two" though that is broken more often than not. The Sith and the Jedi are both a bunch of hypocrites half the time when dealing with their own "rules."

Euphrosyne
08.30.2013 , 09:58 PM | #6
Okay, so we're seriously asking the question whether a meaningful peace can be had with a fratricidal, genocidal magocracy that operates under the rule "peace is a lie"?

No. Peace with the Sith Empire is impossible, just like peace with Napoleon or Hitler was impossible. The Empire has to be dismantled and the Sith Order disestablished. No terms except an unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted.
Quote: Originally Posted by DaShuk View Post
Malgus does try to lead a revolution of sorts where aliens are embraced, at least by his supposed regime. He apparently had a vision for a more progressive Empire, he even tries to help you out on Ilum as a Republic player.
Let's be clear, here. Malgus fed information to the Republic so that they would defeat one of his primary rivals. Conveniently, since that rival - Arho - was also the head of the Sphere of Military Offense, his death would leave the Imperial military in chaos just in time for Malgus' coup attempt. He got the Republic to do his dirty work; he did not "help it out".

Malgus' whole goal with his New Empire was to create a regime that wiped out his rivals - the ones that he believed were blinkered idiots incapable of intelligently prosecuting a war - and to create a society that better mobilized the manpower and resources available to it. And the whole point of doing this was so that Malgus' Empire would be better able to fight a war with the Republic. There was no room for peace in Malgus' scheme. Why should there have been?
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

JLazarillo
08.30.2013 , 11:47 PM | #7
The Jedi are too dead set on exterminating the Sith, and the Sith are too dead set on revengeancing the Jedi. Maybe if the Star Cabal won...

AlexDougherty
08.31.2013 , 02:46 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JLazarillo View Post
The Jedi are too dead set on exterminating the Sith, and the Sith are too dead set on revengeancing the Jedi. Maybe if the Star Cabal won...
Jedi are not set on externinating the Sith, ancient original Jedi were, but the order at the moment just wants to protect the Republic, if the Sith stopped trying to conquer or destroy the Republic then the Jedi would ignore the Sith.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Highborne
09.05.2013 , 06:58 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Jedi are not set on externinating the Sith, ancient original Jedi were, but the order at the moment just wants to protect the Republic, if the Sith stopped trying to conquer or destroy the Republic then the Jedi would ignore the Sith.
Nice rewriting of history there. How many Republic battleships are protecting Revan's genocide factory? How many Jedi are defending Revan as he plots to commit (to use his own offsider's words) "97.8% efficient genocide" against the entire population of the Empire, including any individual with even a trace of Sith genetic material?

The Jedi of today are just as set upon genocide as their ancestors were. And worse, they're hypocrites.

To answer the OP's question: maybe. The warmongers on the Council - Baras, Decimus etc. - are all dead by various means, and the three remaining senior Councillors - Mortis, Marr and Vowrawn - are more interested in keeping the Empire intact than in fighting a war they cannot win. Vowrawn in particular is a highly progressive leader by Sith standards and carries a lot of weight with the council. A Republic approach to Vowrawn may be able to broker at least a truce, which can become a longer-term peace.

pauljc
09.05.2013 , 02:15 PM | #10
Considering the first words of the Sith Code are "peace is a lie", I'm gonna say probably not.