Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

On this "Sith are not evil" thing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
On this "Sith are not evil" thing

Gratulor
07.23.2013 , 01:28 PM | #1
Hello. I'm a fan of all aspects of the Star Wars universe. One thing that troubles me is the posts that try to justify the Sith as not being evil, but misunderstood. So I'm here to try to make sense the evil nature of the Sith as well as the good they believe.

The good:

• They believe in survival. In the time of the game, they believe in the survival of the culture -- the essence of being Sith -- at their core. A belief of the survival of a culture is good in my book.
  • They promote the support of their society. It's essential for any nation/culture to promote it's welfare.
  • They are very much in favour of their society's defense. Any culture that doesn't denfend itself is doomed.

The bad:
  • They believe in a class system that considers it's elite members (the Sith) as gods. Under them, if anyone questions them they face the threat of death. If anyone as much as offends them, they face the penalty of death.
  • They believe in slavery as a good for their society. Can anyone contradict that?
  • They believe in military might over diplomacy.
  • They believe in the supremacy of two races over others.
  • They bomb cities at their discrecion, commit genocide and torture prisoners.

How can anyone justify the bad? The Sith are in control of the Empire, and they sanction all the actions in the bad sections. The bad outweigh the good, and the Sith are definitely evil according to western standards.

What is so good about the Empire that you would justify it's actions?

In the game, I am mostly Empire. In roleplay, I justify their actions frequently and without remorse. It's good fun and doesn't hurt anyone. But anyone taking a real world action against the Empire being called "evil" just doesn't make sense to me.

Add to the list of the good or bad of the Empire, or make your say. I'd love to challenge any viewpoint.
"If you only look after your own hide, then you're not a man."

ZionHalcyon
07.23.2013 , 01:47 PM | #2
The Sith are indeed evil.

However, this thread misses a golden opportunity.

That is, its entirely possible for the SITH to be evil, but the EMPIRE not.

If you play through enough of the game, you will find that there are plenty an imperial officer who chaffes at being under Sith domination, and who do prefer the empire because it is a more orderly society. They oft consider themselves the real backbone of the Empire, while the sith flit about doing "sith" business.

That doesn't mean every non-sith imperial is a good or nice guy - plenty who want to use some sith connections as a play for more power within the society, but I have a hard time finding non-sith citizens of the empire on the whole to be that evil - fastidious, oft times decadent, and perhaps ignorant of the ills of others, but by and large not really all that evil...

Gratulor
07.23.2013 , 02:48 PM | #3
And I'm talking about the Sith, not the Empire. The Imperials can be good indeed. I am just talking about the Sith. And Sith politics within the Empire. Not the individual citizen of the Empire. Just the Sith and their politics.

MasqureMan
07.23.2013 , 03:12 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Gratulor View Post
And I'm talking about the Sith, not the Empire. The Imperials can be good indeed. I am just talking about the Sith. And Sith politics within the Empire. Not the individual citizen of the Empire. Just the Sith and their politics.
The structure of the Empire keeps the powerful on top and the weak on the bottom. The backstabbing disorder that is so prevalent also helps prevent leaders and the Empire as a whole from becoming stagnant, which, if you remember from Kotor days, was a big problem of the Republic. "A culture achieves definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking." While it may be done sadistically and with little remorse, the Sith do in fact keep the Empire strong because the strong and ambitious are constantly trying to back stab their superiors and replace them, between their duties of course .

Now, the Sith do indeed have evil tendencies. I don't believe you can say they are all evil, but I do think you could argue most of them are evil. They are indeed sadistic, they do believe in slavery, but it is important to remember it's a system where even a slave can become a Sith Lord given the opportunity. And not every Sith Lord is as bad as the other, so there's a bit of wiggle room in morality.

So, do I want to live in the Empire? Nope. But are the Sith keeping the Empire strong so the decent people within it can have a good life? Yes.

Gratulor
07.23.2013 , 03:18 PM | #5
Yes, they do keep the Empire strong. I'm not arguing against that. I'm arguing against the notion that the Sith, the cult, the code of the Sith are misunderstood. I agree it makes the individual strong. I agree that a society that embraces these tenets can be strong. I disagree that a society built on these foundations can be morally good.

Lordmird
07.23.2013 , 03:24 PM | #6
I don't believe the Sith are evil. They do some evil things in conjunction with the Empire, but I do not believe the Sith are evil
"Who dares wins" "By Strength and Guile" "Per Mare, Per Terram" "Utrinque Paratus" Her Majesty's best
Could you do it?

Gratulor
07.23.2013 , 03:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Lordmird View Post
I don't believe the Sith are evil. They do some evil things in conjunction with the Empire, but I do not believe the Sith are evil
How so?

Gratulor
07.23.2013 , 03:31 PM | #8
Again, I'm talking about the Sith, not the Empire. The Sith, the cult of warrior monks from Korriban. Not the Empire.

Lordmird
07.23.2013 , 03:34 PM | #9
How are the Jedi any different? In the Clone Wars era the Jedi Order enslaved an entire army of clones. Clones are still living beings.
"Who dares wins" "By Strength and Guile" "Per Mare, Per Terram" "Utrinque Paratus" Her Majesty's best
Could you do it?

Gratulor
07.23.2013 , 03:37 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lordmird View Post
How are the Jedi any different? In the Clone Wars era the Jedi Order enslaved an entire army of clones. Clones are still living beings.
The Jedi don't participate in most Sith participations except for slavery.

And Bail Organa protested the creation of a clone army in Episode 2.