Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Orange Items

Mordoblood
07.21.2013 , 04:39 PM | #1
I don't understand why people seem to jump for the items of orange rarity. They seem to have terrible stats, especially high level armor, that has about 30 armor on it, can someone explain this to me?

Jrpm
07.21.2013 , 04:58 PM | #2
Orange are modifieable from drops and GTC pieces. THeir worthi is how much you can find or spend on mods.

Rah.

SebastiaanZ
07.21.2013 , 05:23 PM | #3
lol you'll learn the value of orange armor as you progress in the game mate.

MSchuyler
07.21.2013 , 05:35 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Mordoblood View Post
I don't understand why people seem to jump for the items of orange rarity. They seem to have terrible stats, especially high level armor, that has about 30 armor on it, can someone explain this to me?
Perhaps we could add a little more information for this person. Indeed, the poster above is correct. The key to orange armor is the "modifications" you can put into them. These include armoring, mods, and enhancements along with barrels, hilts, and color crystals. Not all orange gear has all these modification "slots." "Barrels," for example, only work for firearms. "Hilts" work for light sabers.

Each modification has a certain number of "stats." For example, you might get a "mod" that has +10 Aim and +9 Endurance. (I just made that up.) When you install the modification you gain that much of the "stat(istic)" for your character. What kind of mods you put into the equipment depends on your character. A Bounty Hunter needs "Aim" and Endurance where his companion, Mako, needs "Cunning" and Endurance, so you have to customize each character according to his/her needs.

Modifications are commonly purchased with "planetary commendations" from a vendor on the Fleet, and sometimes on a planet. An armoring mod costs 7 commendations. A mod or enhancement costs 2 commendations. You usually have 3 modification slots (This varies a bit) so to fully equip a character you would need from 77-100 planetary commendations. You get planetary commendations by doing quests. Generally stuff like flashpoints and Heroics earn you more commendations than a simple quest. You can also buy modification on the GTN. Sometimes they are cheap, well within reason. Sometimes they can be very expensive. At level 50 the mods are double. Mods are not available at all levels and it is unrealistic to expect to swap them out every time you do level. They should last a few levels before swapping them for new ones would make a significant difference for you.

As you move up through the levels you need to keep replacing your mods with higher-quality ones that will only work when you reach a certain level. This helps increase your very important HP ranking, which helps you stay alive. They also increase the level of damage of your weapons. The formulas here are quite complex and beyond this post.

People will say that you can "do fine with green gear," and that may be true, but orange gear, properly modified, can give you a huge boost. My Bounty Hunter, for example, as a 6KHP at level 30. I put orange gear on him and he became an 8KHP, quite a large increase.

So are you beginning to get the picture here? Orange Gear can allow your character to increase his statistics a great deal. This is just a nutshell explanation. There's a lot more to it, but this is why people jump on orange gear.

Sarielle
07.21.2013 , 05:58 PM | #5
I always assumed people liked orange gear more because you can keep a look you like permanently ... not because of the stats.

So if you like the look of that Jedi robe you got at level 15, and it's orange quality, you can upgrade mods and keep it relevant all the way to max level. That's why I like orange gear, personally. -shrug-
Sarie : Self-righteous Seer
| Jung Ma |

joenewbie
07.21.2013 , 06:11 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarielle View Post
I always assumed people liked orange gear more because you can keep a look you like permanently ... not because of the stats.

So if you like the look of that Jedi robe you got at level 15, and it's orange quality, you can upgrade mods and keep it relevant all the way to max level. That's why I like orange gear, personally. -shrug-
The only place I've seen where Orange gear and mods weren't superior is in droid parts, which because those are craft-able through cybertech I believe they don't want to make Orange, so it's a Green Item that you can add mods to.

Because of this I think people just buy the blue droid parts not knowing that green movable start showing up at I think level 9 for your droid motors.
Roll your alts first, make the mistakes that teach you lessons, then roll your main and enjoy the ride.

swtonewbie
07.21.2013 , 06:13 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarielle View Post

I've bolded, underlines and italicized part of the quote.

A lot of people do not realize how custom/orange gear works. They will look at an orange/custom heavy leggings shell (shell as in no mods) and wonder why anybody would pay a lot of credits for a piece of gear that only has 32 armor. I guess they stop reading when they see armor=32 and they dont see the stuff that says armoring: open, mod: open, enhancement: open. Most people will use a bit of common sense and figure out on their own that since it says 'open' for those 3 things, it must mean that something goes there...perhaps the word that is right next to it give a hint as to the name of the item!!! **gasps** The next logical thing one would think is "where would one find an armoring, mod and enhancement" ohh i know...
I'm not really a noob...

swtonewbie
07.21.2013 , 06:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by joenewbie View Post
The only place I've seen where Orange gear and mods weren't superior is in droid parts, which because those are craft-able through cybertech I believe they don't want to make Orange, so it's a Green Item that you can add mods to.

Because of this I think people just buy the blue droid parts not knowing that green movable start showing up at I think level 9 for your droid motors.
Commendation vendors also sell moddable droid parts and that stuff has orange item text. Some organic companions also come with or get rewarded weapons that are moddable yet have green text. Using item text colors to determine quality, or if it moddable or unmoddable is not really the best way to go about it. If you want to see if something is better quality compare stats or enable companion comparative gear tooltips. If you want to see if that piece of green or purple gear in your inventory is moddable mouseover it and see if it has slots.
I'm not really a noob...

Koolthulu
07.21.2013 , 07:27 PM | #9
How do people not get how moddable gear works when there is a quest that explains it? It's not even one that you can miss like the AC quests.

joenewbie
07.21.2013 , 08:47 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Koolthulu View Post
How do people not get how moddable gear works when there is a quest that explains it? It's not even one that you can miss like the AC quests.
I'm with ya... It's why I put so low a value on Armormech and Synthweaving because once you have a mod-able suit, it's just a matter of keeping up with the mods/armorings etc.... if Synthweaving/Armormech didn't have the ability to make augments in my view they'd be worthless. It's why I tell people Cybertech should be your first crew crafting skill on your first toon of a server... after leveling to at least 41 that is.

It's not about the credits you can make in a crewskill, it's how much you'll save with the crewskill. The market is already flooded with people making items and then selling them for a profit, the competition is high and unless you constantly farm for mats you're not going to turn a profit, better off just selling the mats if it's all about the credits to ya.
Roll your alts first, make the mistakes that teach you lessons, then roll your main and enjoy the ride.