Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just WHAT is the problem with thermal regulators

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Just WHAT is the problem with thermal regulators

Karkais
07.20.2013 , 04:08 AM | #1
I made a slicer alt in order to provide my synthweaver with the purple mats for high-level augments, but the plan hasn't been working very well. Thermal regulators seem next to impossible to get. My alt is only lvl 44 and only has access to 4 companions, one of which has slicing critical bonus, but I have gotten the maximum +crafting critical bonus from legacy and the affections are nearly maxed; Yet thermal regulator rewards seem absurdly rare. I am talking 8-10 times all 4 companions doing slicing missions and getting maybe 2-4 thermal regulators in one success rare. Is there something I am missing, are these bugged or what is the problem? I haven't had this much trouble with any of my other 3 professions I have maxed and their gathering skills. These stupid thermal regulators are doing my head in.

Please tell me I have overlooked something or this is bugged..
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

JouerTue
07.20.2013 , 04:23 AM | #2
i'm ok with slicing missions..just be sure to send the crit companion on the mission with the highest value (more less 3.2k>3.8k) and you can always buy slicing missions discoveries on gtn.

JRastenn
07.20.2013 , 12:34 PM | #3
Well for one thing only the bountiful and rich missions can give you thermals, so it's a waste of time to run the other two. The bountiful mission will give you 2 on a crit, and the rich will give you 4. That's the best you can do unless you also run lockbox missions for discoveries.

psandak
07.22.2013 , 09:39 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JRastenn View Post
Well for one thing only the bountiful and rich missions can give you thermals, so it's a waste of time to run the other two. The bountiful mission will give you 2 on a crit, and the rich will give you 4. That's the best you can do unless you also run lockbox missions for discoveries.
This.

And I hate to say it (because it is completely anecdotal), but in my experience running a healthy mix of missions generates better results - I do not relog/change areas to get the missions I want (if I am going to be changing areas anyway I'll take advantage of it but I do change areas just to change the random list of missions). Yes, I specifically seek out the Bountiful and Rich Sliced Parts and UT metals missions, but if they are not there, I send my companions to do other things (like crafting, gift missions, or other materials).

Doing this, when I do get to run the missions I want, it just seems like I crit a lot more than what many post here. Just this past weekend, I ran 20 UWT metals missions and I got seven crits; and I ran another 15 Sliced Part missions and got five crits; and ran 15 Slicing lockbox missions, and got four crits. Not mass quantities by any stretch, but significantly better than the 20%-28% "average."

Dominoris
07.22.2013 , 09:43 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
(snip) all 4 companions doing slicing missions (snip)
Thermal regs only drop from 2 of the standard missions: "Watching the Watchers" and "Unsliceable?" You can only have one of any mission running at a time. So 2 companions are all you really need.
Clones are people two.

rayden_enerthall
07.23.2013 , 06:29 PM | #6
You may also want to use HK for the bountiful and rich missions. Personally speaking I tend to have better result when I send him on those missions instead of yuon or doc. I apologize if this is a companion spoiler for anyone.

funkiestj
07.24.2013 , 12:50 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JouerTue View Post
i'm ok with slicing missions..just be sure to send the crit companion on the mission with the highest value (more less 3.2k>3.8k) and you can always buy slicing missions discoveries on gtn.
I want a ship droid item that gives him slicing crit!

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

psandak
07.24.2013 , 01:54 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
I want a ship droid item that gives him slicing crit!
Don't get your hopes up. And even if it were to happen, it would probably be only 1% (what HK gets). The best +crit to slicing is 2%.

Doolander
07.24.2013 , 03:53 PM | #9
I have been running Unsliceable using Andronikos with Max affection so far out of 30 missions 7 have returned Thermal Regulators.

Brane_Ded
07.25.2013 , 03:09 AM | #10
Purple crafting components are only obtained from Bountiful and Rich missions if you're not using a 450 crew skill mission. Using a companion with no bonus to the crew skill, Bountiful will yield 2 purples on a crit and Rich will yield 4 purples. 450 crew skill missions will yield 6 purple components however those missions can also crit and yield 8 purples, so make sure to use a companion with full affection and a bonus to crit on the mission you use.

The crit chance is 10% for orange missions and 15% for all others. A companion with full affection gains another 5% crit chance on top of its bonus, if it has one, where the number chance to crit is the percentage (i.e. +2 crit chance = 2% crit chance). Example, a companion at full affection with a +2 chance to crit on a 450 crew skill mission will be: 10 + 5 + 2 = 17% chance to crit.

I personally gain around 20 Thermal Regulators in about 8 hours of crew skill missions using 4 characters with Slicing.
Raging Elitists
The Harbinger, US-West