Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who started the 'Free with mats' culture?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Who started the 'Free with mats' culture?

AidanLightwalker
07.22.2013 , 07:43 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
First, yeah, of course crits are not guaranteed. that's why we call them crits.

Second, no crafter gives out their crits unless they are crafting for a friend or guildie.

Third, yes, it is about people giving you their mats so you can have a chance of getting an item for yourself. It IS a very profitable approach. Everybody knows this. But you seemed outraged about it, like people are trying to take advantage of you or something.
1.) agree
2.) If someone tips me for my service, I will. They paid for it.
3.) People aren't giving me their mats so that "I may crit" with them. They are giving me their mats so that I can craft THEM THEIR item. They could care less if I crit or not, they just want their item.

I'm not outragged by it, I just don't buy into the line that it benefits me. I know trickery when I see it. Bottom line, they are giving you their mats because they either A.) can't make it themselves, or B.) don't want to buy it off the gtn cause they are cheap. If the finished product was selling for less than the mats, people would just buy the finished product. The whole, you can get the crit if it does indeed crit, is just an accuse people use to be cheap. Like I said, I don't do business this way and I'm stinking rich in this game. Yeah I put the time and effort into crafting to make credits. My approach might not be like yours but judging by the OP, I am not alone in my thinking that all this crafting for mats business is for the birds.

Here's an example for you, a friend gives you 5.00 dollars and says, run to McDonalds for me and get me a Big Mac meal. I say, what's in it for me? They reply, well, if McDonalds is having a buy one get one deal going on now, you can keep the extra meal, if not, o well, thanks for getting that for me.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

Heezdedjim
07.24.2013 , 03:47 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashenti View Post
Also, the extra advantage here is that if you get a crit, you get an extra item gratis
That's not the "extra advantage," it's the top line of your revenue model. Those crits ARE your income from crafting. Crafting "for mats" means getting people to loan you an endless stream of free mats to roll the dice with. You waste no time farming, and you don't need to dump tens of millions into high end mats, so your cost of production is nothing more than your time. And with the number of people who want items crafted, you get access to far more "rolls of the dice" sitting on fleet and spamming than you ever would wasting your time to actually farm the mats.

The "culture" of crafting for mats is the culture of simple economics. It's the most efficient way to turn time into credits for those who have access to high end patterns.

Heezdedjim
07.24.2013 , 03:54 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by AidanLightwalker View Post
Like I said, I don't do business this way and I'm stinking rich in this game.
Those who craft for mats alone stink a whole lot more.

wainot-keel
07.26.2013 , 12:35 PM | #34
2.) If someone tips me for my service, I will. They paid for it.
Why would they tip you for something that may or may not crit ?
See ? I can do that too.

In any case, unless we're talking about a friend or guildie, very few people will take the word of a stranger "you know, no luck, the crafts didn't crit".

There's no way to know if a craft didn't crit or not. Only your word on the matter and, no offense, that's not much for potential customers. If customers had a way of knowing with absolute certainty that a craft had a crit or not, the mats + tip approach would be more popular.

3.) People aren't giving me their mats so that "I may crit" with them. They are giving me their mats so that I can craft THEM THEIR item. They could care less if I crit or not, they just want their item.
How they caring or not is relevent ? Would you stop asking for a tip if they tell you they care ?
You are doing business without the need of mats. That is what matters.

And FYI, some people do care. Crits make crafters happy. Happy crafters keep things competitive. That's good.

AidanLightwalker
07.26.2013 , 04:00 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Why would they tip you for something that may or may not crit ?
See ? I can do that too.

In any case, unless we're talking about a friend or guildie, very few people will take the word of a stranger "you know, no luck, the crafts didn't crit".

There's no way to know if a craft didn't crit or not. Only your word on the matter and, no offense, that's not much for potential customers. If customers had a way of knowing with absolute certainty that a craft had a crit or not, the mats + tip approach would be more popular.

How they caring or not is relevent ? Would you stop asking for a tip if they tell you they care ?
You are doing business without the need of mats. That is what matters.

And FYI, some people do care. Crits make crafters happy. Happy crafters keep things competitive. That's good.
I think you are miss understanding me. I don't charge tip on a chance to crit, say I'm crafting a 31 hilt for someone, if they pay me 150k and SUPPLY the mats, then yeah, if it crits, I give it to them. They paid me for my service, SUPPLIED the mats, its theirs.

And I am not doing business without the mats, I am providing a free service when ot doesn't crit and doing business when it does. So roughly 30% of the I'm doing business and the other ~70% I'm doing pro bono work lol. And end game mods and gear take what, between 40 min to an hour to craft? What a huge waste of time if I don't crit. I can make more credits running dailies, crafting and selling my own stuff.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

JoeeyyMagzz
07.26.2013 , 04:10 PM | #36
At this point, the major crafters on each server have so much money there is really no need for them to have a service charge. When I'm supplying someone with my own mats for a crafted item, I will usually tip anywhere from 100-150k for them being nice enough to spend a crafting spot on me, and I usually will tell them to keep the crit if it crits. Crafters that I have come in contact with have generally been extremely friendly and gave me the crit on top of the item I requested. In those cases, I generally tip them around 300-350k because they could have easily made some quick cash on the GTN.

Also, stop calling it a tip when you make it mandatory. If it's mandatory, then it's a service charge which is definitely not the same thing as a tip.