Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who started the 'Free with mats' culture?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Who started the 'Free with mats' culture?

ScarletBlaze
07.11.2013 , 02:49 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
Oh my word, even when you pay nothing to make something, you still expect payment in return...........greedy *BLEEP*

I have met a lot of crafters that demanded a tip for crafting, when I supplied the materials, sorry for tips are optional, I was going to pay a tip 2k per item made, but he ruined it by demanding it and this is why I wish I could avoid to work with crafters in this game, its just full of greedy sods.
If you are don't like working with crafters then do it yourself. I make things for my guild all the time without charging or even requiring the mats but they are my friends and my guild mates.

I will at times craft things for others with mats but most of them have been polite about it and don't act like I owe it to them to craft it.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Maelael
07.12.2013 , 10:40 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MrStewieGriffin View Post
Hi

What I don't understand is people expect me to craft them grade 31 items for free (Including the premades) with mats even if they know that you are practically the only one on the server that can craft a certain item.

Do crafters do free with mats even if they are not in a competitive market many suppliers? Or is this a justification for lower prices by the buyers?
I can answer this for you:

1. You're overcharging on our server. Like literally, the mats+your requested fee > GTN often. FYI, you are known as "The guy who transfered servers thinking he could make billions ripping people off". Also: You're not the only one who can craft them. There's more than you think on both the Imp and Pub side.
2. Talking to several of the "Free with mats" people on our server - they still make them, sell them on the GTN. And keep crits when they make the "FWM" and make money off that. They're rolling in millions.
3. Over the years, MMOs have become an entitlement riddled, instant gratification QQ fest. People don't care about how much money you've spent, or time you've spent into being able to make the product. Until this is enforced as wrong, it's going to stay that way.
4. Like the rest of the market flood, eventually there will be so many of these on the GTN they will sell for mats or less (Operate at a loss with the GTN tax). A good chunk of the people with the money to buy this stuff in bulk do know this, and will just wait or pay in mats (And usually, tip for your time. But not the prices you've been asking.)

Sardonyyx
07.12.2013 , 11:01 AM | #13
If there were a more complex crafting system involved, I would pay fees, a commission if you will, but don't demand it, because you didn't actually do anything except click a button once, and your companion makes it for you.

In EQ2 I didn't mind tipping on items people crafted, mainly becaus no one demanded a "tip" (fee) and the crafting system was like a mini game that took time and effort.

I'm sorry, good for you that you learned the schematic, but don't try to rip people off with it. Harbinger Crafters, you know who you are. 100k tip required my arse. It's not a tip, that's a fee.

In my eyes, mats are just fine, especially if you have premises, 10% chance to crit, that's pretty nice. So what if you don't, you can make another and sell it on gtn.

I don't see the issue.

Dominoris
07.12.2013 , 12:37 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Sardonyyx View Post
If because you didn't actually do anything except click a button once
Just because one click is as far as you can see, don't assume that one click is all it takes. There are countless hours and stacks of creds behind that one click you see. Until you have lost a week's worth of work and well over a million credits just to RE items and still not have the schematic you need, try not to be so short sighted as to assume all it ever takes is a single click.
Clones are people two.

wainot-keel
07.12.2013 , 01:55 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
Oh my word, even when you pay nothing to make something, you still expect payment in return...........greedy *BLEEP*

I have met a lot of crafters that demanded a tip for crafting, when I supplied the materials, sorry for tips are optional, I was going to pay a tip 2k per item made, but he ruined it by demanding it and this is why I wish I could avoid to work with crafters in this game, its just full of greedy sods.
lolwut

2k per item as tip ? that won't get me to makeb to farm nodes for more mats....

anyway, what kind of items are you talking about ? arkanian/undeworld stuff ? lowbie stuff ? crafts which a crit means another item ?

wainot-keel
07.12.2013 , 02:12 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Dominoris View Post
Just because one click is as far as you can see, don't assume that one click is all it takes. There are countless hours and stacks of creds behind that one click you see. Until you have lost a week's worth of work and well over a million credits just to RE items and still not have the schematic you need, try not to be so short sighted as to assume all it ever takes is a single click.
errmm.. i seriously doubt someone actually thinks that is "just a single click". that's just their way of trying to demean other people's effort and work so they feel outraged by prices to get something they clearly dont want or cant work for....

uniz
07.14.2013 , 02:29 PM | #17
I have learned over the years and from several mmos to NEVER again advertise I can make x item in chat. too many players just don't read your terms and get butt hurt when the item is crafted.

I just craft for guildies and sell such on the gtn. I don't need the drama as I am here to relax and play a game. not deal with some player sitting on millions of credits thinking everything is negotiable.

AidanLightwalker
07.14.2013 , 03:33 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
I have learned over the years and from several mmos to NEVER again advertise I can make x item in chat. too many players just don't read your terms and get butt hurt when the item is crafted.

I just craft for guildies and sell such on the gtn. I don't need the drama as I am here to relax and play a game. not deal with some player sitting on millions of credits thinking everything is negotiable.
swtor is even worse. Get a nice rare scheme, put the crafted on the gtn, get tons of whispers and mails asking you to craft for mats. Nope. I don't do it. That 1 click these people are talking about, cost me a weapon drop in a operation. Not to mention I had to get lucky and get the same drop a couple times just for the successful RE. I went without an upgrade. Not one week but multiple. And now you want my good for free? What makes people think they are so entitled to this for free? One easy click my butt. The people on here complaining about greedy crafters can go take a hike.

I wish not advertising would save us from this behavior.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

wainot-keel
07.14.2013 , 09:53 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AidanLightwalker View Post
swtor is even worse. Get a nice rare scheme, put the crafted on the gtn, get tons of whispers and mails asking you to craft for mats. Nope. I don't do it. That 1 click these people are talking about, cost me a weapon drop in a operation. Not to mention I had to get lucky and get the same drop a couple times just for the successful RE. I went without an upgrade. Not one week but multiple. And now you want my good for free? What makes people think they are so entitled to this for free? One easy click my butt. The people on here complaining about greedy crafters can go take a hike.

I wish not advertising would save us from this behavior.
First, you can do business whatever way you like. No one's disputing that. But of course people don't want to pay a fee/tip. They know you keep the crits, which is a another item for "free". That's what they give to you when they give the mats, a chance to get an item for you for "free".
And as you well know, crafters have been doing hundreds of millions crafting for "free". Funny how that works.

JamieKirby
07.15.2013 , 03:03 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
99.999% of the time when someone crafts for tips or fees, that person has spent a significant amount of time and credits to acquire the schematic necessary to craft that item. Most would say that is worth something.
Which I am sure, has been made back 100x by overcharging for items like majority of the crafters tend to do.