Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who started the 'Free with mats' culture?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Who started the 'Free with mats' culture?

MrStewieGriffin
07.11.2013 , 10:04 AM | #1
Hi

What I don't understand is people expect me to craft them grade 31 items for free (Including the premades) with mats even if they know that you are practically the only one on the server that can craft a certain item.

Do crafters do free with mats even if they are not in a competitive market many suppliers? Or is this a justification for lower prices by the buyers?

Also how good is the crit rate? Last I heard it was 5%.

Grayseven
07.11.2013 , 10:11 AM | #2
It's because of the chance for proc's getting you a free item to sell.

I'm not entirely certain, but base chance is 5%, every 1k affection gets you 1% and then your companion can have a bonus up to 5% on a specific skill.

Most often people will tip a few hundred kay on a top tier item even if they supply the mats.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

psandak
07.11.2013 , 10:46 AM | #3
"free with mats" started a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...Long before SWTOR and even WoW. I remember FwM happening in EQ1. Heck I even engaged in it. It is part of the MMO lexicon. Get used to it.

Ashenti
07.11.2013 , 12:26 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
"free with mats" started a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...Long before SWTOR and even WoW. I remember FwM happening in EQ1. Heck I even engaged in it. It is part of the MMO lexicon. Get used to it.
^^this

Its always been common practice. If you try it out you will realise you often get much more profit from this than setting a price. people will tend to tip much more if they are not told what to pay.
Also, the extra advantage here is that if you get a crit, you get an extra item gratis.

psandak
07.11.2013 , 01:29 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashenti View Post
^^this

Its always been common practice. If you try it out you will realise you often get much more profit from this than setting a price. people will tend to tip much more if they are not told what to pay.
Also, the extra advantage here is that if you get a crit, you get an extra item gratis.
I would not go that far... In EQ1 when I would setup shop to do buffs, I got shortchanged a LOT when buffs cost materials to cast. In WoW I got burned too many times crafting for tips and stopped altogether. SWTOR may be different, but I am not willing to find out. Getting materials and then selling my finished products on the GTM is far less hassle and I still make a great profit.

JamieKirby
07.11.2013 , 01:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MrStewieGriffin View Post
Hi

What I don't understand is people expect me to craft them grade 31 items for free (Including the premades) with mats even if they know that you are practically the only one on the server that can craft a certain item.

Do crafters do free with mats even if they are not in a competitive market many suppliers? Or is this a justification for lower prices by the buyers?

Also how good is the crit rate? Last I heard it was 5%.
Oh my word, even when you pay nothing to make something, you still expect payment in return...........greedy *BLEEP*

I have met a lot of crafters that demanded a tip for crafting, when I supplied the materials, sorry for tips are optional, I was going to pay a tip 2k per item made, but he ruined it by demanding it and this is why I wish I could avoid to work with crafters in this game, its just full of greedy sods.

ssfish
07.11.2013 , 02:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
Oh my word, even when you pay nothing to make something, you still expect payment in return...........greedy *BLEEP*

I have met a lot of crafters that demanded a tip for crafting, when I supplied the materials, sorry for tips are optional, I was going to pay a tip 2k per item made, but he ruined it by demanding it and this is why I wish I could avoid to work with crafters in this game, its just full of greedy sods.
If you are talking about a 2k tip, I have to assume you aren't talking about end-game items. When you supply materials, you are then paying simply for the service/convenience of not having to go earn the item yourself. If you don't think that is worth anything, then I think you are mistaken about who the "greedy sod" is. Your post reeks of the attitude that crafters somehow owe you their service.

That said, if someone is requiring a "tip," then it would be more appropriate for them to use a different term, as "tip" implies that it is optional. Service Fee, maybe? I don't know, but "tip" is not the appropriate term for a required fee for the service.
Lift

cchwolf
07.11.2013 , 02:05 PM | #8

Often times the ''tip'' is to repay some of the investment the crafter put into the skill. Ya sure all they have to do is press "CRAFT'' now, but for a purple item, they likely reverse engineered a lot of items, spent credits, and went through tons of materials, all so you can walk up and get your shiney new item with no fee?

psandak
07.11.2013 , 02:37 PM | #9

99.999% of the time when someone crafts for tips or fees, that person has spent a significant amount of time and credits to acquire the schematic necessary to craft that item. Most would say that is worth something.
Quote: Originally Posted by ssfish View Post
If you are talking about a 2k tip, I have to assume you aren't talking about end-game items. When you supply materials, you are then paying simply for the service/convenience of not having to go earn the item yourself. If you don't think that is worth anything, then I think you are mistaken about who the "greedy sod" is. Your post reeks of the attitude that crafters somehow owe you their service.

That said, if someone is requiring a "tip," then it would be more appropriate for them to use a different term, as "tip" implies that it is optional. Service Fee, maybe? I don't know, but "tip" is not the appropriate term for a required fee for the service.
Let's not get started on this please. It's semantics: "tip" or "fee." Yes, strictly speaking a "tip" is optional and a "fee" is not, but in the world of MMOs both are payment for services rendered.

The parties in question are both wrong in that they did not clarify the transaction before it occurred. The crafter/seller should specify an amount of credits if that is what they want; if they fail to specify a "fee" and get less than what they wanted it is their own fault. The buyer should state up front what they are willing to offer in return for the seller/crafter services; if they fail to specify what they are willing to offer ahead of time and the seller wants more then the buyer is at fault.

And this is reason #1 why I got out of the face-to-face crafting market.

bbrooks
07.11.2013 , 02:42 PM | #10

Your are looking at this from too narrow a view. I craft for mats on my server, but have no problem with people charging a fee for a few reasons.

1.My biggest argument for people charging what they want is they put in the time and effort to go and learn the schematic. Despite what people may think, many times learning schematics costs a large amount of time and comms.

2.They learned it, not you. If you have such a moral conundrum with paying to get high end gear, then dont pay! Everyone is capable of leveling a crafter and learning a schematic, if you dont like how someone is offering their services, go learn the item, and you can craft it for free!

3. Not a huge thing, but it does occupy a companion. I know my comps are always running missions to supply me stuff for our raids, so crafting others gear for no guarenteed $ takes away from my ability to be prepared for a raid.
Beels 50 madness Sin Phudgee 50 Sheild tech PT Deex 50 Vengence Jugg Phattness 50 Lightning Sorc Chubbzilla 50 Medic Commando

http://therevenant-guild.com