Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I can't kill kittens

Hessen
07.06.2013 , 09:12 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarielle View Post
I like to set "rules" for a character when I start out. For instance, a bounty hunter that always honors the original terms of the contract, as some sort of personal honor code. That can lead to darkside choices, as well as light. The Trooper who always follows orders. The Jedi that works "for the greater good," even if that means killing now/letting good people die now, if more can be saved later. Etc.

Basically, a character can have a personal code that isn't necessarily full of rainbows and sunshine. Darkside characters don't have to be honorless, for instance.

While I think full dark can be funny, I do think playing "gray" is far more compelling, and a good way to ease into DS choices.
I like to set rules too. But I struggle to stick with them, I just feel so morally wrong saying "kill the prisoners" that I end up with real life guilt over my virtual actions...

I need help don't I

mistformsquirrel
07.06.2013 , 09:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
I like to set rules too. But I struggle to stick with them, I just feel so morally wrong saying "kill the prisoners" that I end up with real life guilt over my virtual actions...

I need help don't I
I've had the saaaame thing. In fact the action that I had the most guilt over was a light side choice.

Spoiler for Trooper story -

Spoiler

Hessen
07.07.2013 , 04:35 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel View Post

Spoiler
Spoiler

MajikMyst
07.07.2013 , 04:56 AM | #14
I'm too much of a wuss, I just can't go darkside on any of my characters. I've got 3 imps and 2 rep characters and all of them are as lightside as you can get. I just can't bring myself on any character to chose darkside options at all!

Am I missing out on lots of fun? What can I do to embrace the darkside?!
Wow.. Glad to know I am not the only one with this issue.. I have 5 republic characters.. All lightside.. I have 2 darkside characters, none above lvl 15.. Even those are lightside at the moment.. I am having issues with the plots..

<Sigh>

I do like some of the advice in this thread though.. I really would like an imp character some day..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

KyaniteD
07.07.2013 , 05:02 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarielle View Post
I like to set "rules" for a character when I start out. For instance, a bounty hunter that always honors the original terms of the contract, as some sort of personal honor code. That can lead to darkside choices, as well as light. The Trooper who always follows orders. The Jedi that works "for the greater good," even if that means killing now/letting good people die now, if more can be saved later. Etc.

Basically, a character can have a personal code that isn't necessarily full of rainbows and sunshine. Darkside characters don't have to be honorless, for instance.

While I think full dark can be funny, I do think playing "gray" is far more compelling, and a good way to ease into DS choices.
Yeah, that's what I do, too. Before I start playing a character, I think about what kind of person s/he is. For some I have even made up some loose background story.

This helps when facing difficult decisions, because it helps distinguishing your RL self from your character. At that point, I guess, it becomes role play, and it adds a great big deal to the fun. (For me at least, I'm a sucker for immersion. I spend hours to create a character around the given voice acting and role/class until it "feels right".)

A side effect of this is that I sometimes felt bad when I let my RL self and its morales/philosophy interfere with the character, because I feel like I betrayed the character by forcing them to act "out of character".
That doesn't just apply to dark side choices, but also to light side choices, where in RL I would have said "learn to deal with it", but my light side character should not have wavered and offered unconditional support.

I also recommend some reading up on the philosophies of the dark side and light side. It's not simply good/evil. If you're familiar with Jade Empire, compare the notes on the ways of the "Open Palm" and "Closed Fist" - they're not simply good/evil, either. Understanding that also help creating a character that is consistent/authentic and can make dark side choices without player remorse.

ETA:
You have to consider the circumstances of your character and the situation. A very good example of the malleable meaning of light side and dark side is one situation in the game, where you are faced with an NPC infected with the a virus.

The empire players get the choice to kill him immediately (light side = mercifully ending his suffering) or wait until the plague kills him (dark side = watch him suffer).

Republic players, though, get the choices to immediately kill him (dark side = prematurely ending a life, murder) or let him live / wait until the virus kills him (light side = letting life come to it's "natural" end, not interfering, not getting your hand dirty etc.).
Need a referral link? Support Dulfy's & Exile's work on Dulfy.net, TOR-Fashion.com and TOR-Decorating.com by using their referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/794P7w
Quote:

OddballEasyEight
07.07.2013 , 05:17 AM | #16
I'm too much of a wuss, I just can't go darkside on any of my characters. I've got 3 imps and 2 rep characters and all of them are as lightside as you can get. I just can't bring myself on any character to chose darkside options at all!

Am I missing out on lots of fun? What can I do to embrace the darkside?!
What you need to do is to create a "throw-away charcter" that you can go fully dark side on. Where you force yourself to pick every dark side choice there is.
Preferrably this would be a sith character, but a jedi could work too.
Just make sure that no matter what you always pick the dark side choice.

After a while you will learn that its just a character and not an extension of yourself, so you can start picking dark side choices for your characters when it "feels right" in the game.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

chimex
07.07.2013 , 06:56 AM | #17
I feel no moral obligations on this game. After all, it's just pixels I would feel guilty for example if I deliberately went out my way to Need on loot which wasn't for me but clearly suited for someone else in the party (not something I practice btw).

With me, I've seen the "good guys" win in the movies, I wanna give the villains a chance
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

Repman
07.07.2013 , 07:13 AM | #18
Both my Juggernaut and Mercenary are Light V lol

Been pondering creating an Imperial Agent, guess I could go dark with him

Jandi
07.07.2013 , 07:28 AM | #19

I need help don't I
Being softhearted and empathetic enough that game characters trigger your conscience is admirable, not wrong. You should be proud to be sensitive enough, rather than embarrassed. The world needs more people like you, rather than more people like me.

Uruare
07.07.2013 , 07:45 AM | #20
You can never play a fully LS/DS character (through the storied options) that doesn't come out being a bizarre idiot one way or the other. Not sure if they did it on purpose like that and they're subtly brilliant or if it just came out that way and I'm perceiving brilliance in random chaos.

Either way, everything I've played through fully to date is less like a person and more like a two dimensional, very poor comic book figure the more heavily you emphasize absolute focus on LS or DS convo options.

Now, if they'd just get rid of LS/DS requirements on those leveling relics, we could all play characters that'd choose as we'd like without having to sacrifice valuable Endurance pre-50+.

All the vanity junk is fine for having LS/DS requirements on, but really now, relics aren't vanity.