Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I can't kill kittens

Hessen
07.06.2013 , 05:46 PM | #1
I'm too much of a wuss, I just can't go darkside on any of my characters. I've got 3 imps and 2 rep characters and all of them are as lightside as you can get. I just can't bring myself on any character to chose darkside options at all!

Am I missing out on lots of fun? What can I do to embrace the darkside?!

akabane_k
07.06.2013 , 05:52 PM | #2
Darkside can be interesting at times and stupid evil at others.
Try going darkside trooper, usually the choices are more pragmatism rather than kitten kicking. For example, killing an obviously guilty man instead of letting in go to trial, where he can delay forever; or taking supplies for yourself rather than letting them go to waste in some storage facility.

theUndead
07.06.2013 , 05:54 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
I'm too much of a wuss, I just can't go darkside on any of my characters. I've got 3 imps and 2 rep characters and all of them are as lightside as you can get. I just can't bring myself on any character to chose darkside options at all!

Am I missing out on lots of fun? What can I do to embrace the darkside?!
5 fully dark sided characters. And yes you are missing out on a different side of questing. It involves lots of killing and revenge.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Sarielle
07.06.2013 , 05:55 PM | #4
I like to set "rules" for a character when I start out. For instance, a bounty hunter that always honors the original terms of the contract, as some sort of personal honor code. That can lead to darkside choices, as well as light. The Trooper who always follows orders. The Jedi that works "for the greater good," even if that means killing now/letting good people die now, if more can be saved later. Etc.

Basically, a character can have a personal code that isn't necessarily full of rainbows and sunshine. Darkside characters don't have to be honorless, for instance.

While I think full dark can be funny, I do think playing "gray" is far more compelling, and a good way to ease into DS choices.
Sarie : Self-righteous Seer
| Jung Ma |

Mackashi
07.06.2013 , 06:33 PM | #5
To this day I've only managed to stick to one 'Pure' Light side character - A Jedi Guardian. Everything else I choose based on the situation and the personality I've associated to that toon.

The Dark side always proves to be more interesting/funny. Try it - The Inquisitor Really suits it. The light side actually feels wrong on that story.

mistformsquirrel
07.06.2013 , 07:01 PM | #6
I'm usually light-only or at least, close to it... but once in awhile I dip my toe in the dark side.

There's basically 3 possible triggers for this:

1) The dark side option doesn't even make sense as a "dark side" option in the first place. The absolute biggest of these is the Fort Garnik medical supplies mission. I could complain for a month about that mission; but on my Troopers I always go Dark Side on that option, even though I'm a lightsider through and through.

Spoiler

There are, as I recall, a few other cases like this as well; but *most* aren't so ridiculous.

2) The character has a sufficiently good reason, in their perspective, for doing something even though they know it's wrong. For instance, an enemy has wronged them personally to such a degree that the idea of letting them live is just out of the question; or they're too emotionally invested to think entirely rationally and are just acting on emotion.

3) I'm on my Sith Marauder. She's a bit of an odd duck in that she has a very peculiar moral code that kind of makes her a Proud Warrior Race Gal.

Basically if you attack her or her friends, she feels honor bound to kill you unless you can give her a *really* good reason not to. She doesn't believe in taking prisoners in any but the most extreme of circumstances either - fight and die with honor, surrender is for cowards.

That said, if you're an honorable person you've nothing to fear from her - she's absolutely happy to help those who can't help themselves; and while she'll kill you if you attack her - she's never particularly cruel about it; if you're going to die it's going to be as quick and painless as possible.

So her alignment ends up being very neutral, since she makes a lot of light side and dark side choices practically bake to back, sometimes within the same arc depending on changing circumstances.

------

Someday I may try a straight Darkside character, but I have a hard time envisioning myself doing it to be honest.

Sarielle
07.06.2013 , 07:20 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel View Post
3) I'm on my Sith Marauder. She's a bit of an odd duck in that she has a very peculiar moral code that kind of makes her a Proud Warrior Race Gal.
Since you bring up TV Tropes (and I both love and hate you for getting me sucked back into that site), some other useful tropes to play a not cartoonishly evil character are the Evil Virtues and Noble Demon or even Lawful Evil.

But yes, sometimes the good or evil choice is just so dumb (or as you pointed out, not actually "dark") that even my full light Sage picks a darkside option every now and then.
Sarie : Self-righteous Seer
| Jung Ma |

Mercyflush
07.06.2013 , 07:26 PM | #8
Go on, kick a kitten. They usually deserve it.
Location: CA, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Local Cluster, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

maximumdamages
07.06.2013 , 08:41 PM | #9
You're missing one thing: Death.

AshlaBoga
07.06.2013 , 09:00 PM | #10
I love killing Cathar.

I've killed Cathar called Kittenface, Meow and more.

I kill them over and over and when they ask "Why?!?" I /say "Because I hate cats."
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption