Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear check For Group Finder, becoming a necessity.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gear check For Group Finder, becoming a necessity.

Tachenko_Yuri
07.07.2013 , 08:39 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Uruare View Post

And that's not the sort of stupid a patch-fix can help. It really just isn't. Now for another reality: Bioware can only do so many things in a timeframe's window. Only so much budget and manpower.

This isn't a patching issue. This is a community issue. Teach your people how to FP better and they'll suck less.
Teach people how to do flashpoints and tactics isn't my problem, it never was.

Again, i'm talking about people dying in trash because of lack of proper armoring rating and damage output, on a grevious level of under-gear.

People can school all they want but if they lack the rating gear to stay alive and to avoid enrage timers, it all goes down to the *******, no matter how much of a swift learner the said PUG is.

SkunkWerks
07.07.2013 , 08:42 AM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Tachenko_Yuri View Post
Teach people how to do flashpoints and tactics isn't my problem, it never was.

Again, i'm talking about people dying in trash because of lack of proper armoring rating and damage output, on a grevious level of under-gear.
What about teaching people the value of gear?

Tachenko_Yuri
07.07.2013 , 08:45 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by SkunkWerks View Post
What about teaching people the value of gear?
Not exactly much can be done about it once in the flashpoint itself...?

Unless you're suggesting me to start crafting the armorings for people into said FP ?

Flaniganican
07.07.2013 , 08:48 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Uruare View Post
Ya, its easy enough to do by several different methods, but the matter at hand is really revolving around enforcing it, and the utility of its enforcement in the first place.

Either the gearscore rating will be too high to be entirely sensible or it will be more relaxed, and thus nearly entirely worthless to its own purpose, because I don't think many and numerous people are so daft as to not seek better gear in this game.

Those that roam into a 55HM with gear made for 38-44th level? I think we're seeing a very specific sort of stupid when we see that, not incident or accident.

And that's not the sort of stupid a patch-fix can help. It really just isn't. Now for another reality: Bioware can only do so many things in a timeframe's window. Only so much budget and manpower.

Do we honestly want this on that list when it can't cure the problem, but might well start some obnoxious ones WoW's already tested the waters adequately on to predict outcomes for with clarity?

This isn't a patching issue. This is a community issue. Teach your people how to FP better and they'll suck less.
I understand your point but I think the best way to do it would be the simplest way. You need to be level 55 in order to even queue for 55 HMs, right? Why not additionally, also have to have a gear rating of 148 (which is stated in the mission tracker for the weekly)? Once you reach the gear rating, which we already agreed was easy enough to do through dailies and GTN, then you can queue for 55 HMs.

For the people saying they want to run their guild mates through in order to gear them up quicker, simply don't use the group finder. Get in a group of your 4 guild mates and walk through the flash point entrance to do it.

Implementation is not that hard, and it gives the player another milestone to reach which would make them feel a sense of accomplishment and "readiness".

"Teach your people how to FP better and they'll suck less". Yes & no. I mean, obviously a good player who can listen to instructions if they're unfamiliar with the FP, can make up for being slightly undergeared. However, this is not the player that is in question here and let's face it, not the player that we typically run into in GF. I don't see the harm in preventing a ridiculously undergeared player from queuing in 55 HMs. Coming full circle here, it would be like preventing pre 55's from queuing the 55 HMs, which obviously, is currently the case.
The Hatemore Legacy
Flanagan | Jung Ma

SkunkWerks
07.07.2013 , 08:49 AM | #85
Unless you're suggesting me to start crafting the armorings for people into said FP ?
No. I'm suggesting that not everyone plays the game with a spreadsheet open, nor do they comprehend the math behind what makes a piece of gear "appropriate".

As far as they're concerned, the flashpoint is 55, they're 55, so they can do it. Without this piece of understanding, you may as well be teaching quantum physics to third graders.

Tachenko_Yuri
07.07.2013 , 08:54 AM | #86
No. I'm suggesting that not everyone plays the game with a spreadsheet open, nor do they comprehend the math behind what makes a piece of gear "appropriate".

As far as they're concerned, the flashpoint is 55, they're 55, so they can do it. Without this piece of understanding, you may as well be teaching quantum physics to third graders.
Spreadsheet? nah man I'm not that deep in here.

FPs asks for a rating. In the equipment tab every single armor and weapon slot says it's item's rating on the beginning of the stats.

No spreadsheets nor complex maths needed, just a " check " to be made.

And, evidently, and, unfortunately, people are failing and/or avoiding to do said check.

Hence my reluctant request for this gear check. I'm not one for shutting people out of stuff, but since people can't be reasonable for themselves, someone ( or something ) has got to do said reasoning for them

SkunkWerks
07.07.2013 , 09:00 AM | #87
Hence my reluctant request for this gear check. I'm not one for shutting people out of stuff, but since people can't be reasonable for themselves, someone ( or something ) has got to do said reasoning for them
Reasoning requires an understanding of what it is you're reasoning about. Else no one sees the value of it- as I've already suggested- because they lack even a basic understanding of why they shouldn't be doing the flashpoint in the gear they're wearing. All they know is you're telling them they can't, end of story.

A check is just that- it bars people. No reasoning or understanding is required, nor gained by implementing it. As Urare suggested, people internalizing this understanding would be a far, far better choice for the community as a whole.

You seem to have forsaken any hope for that. My condolences.

KyaniteD
07.07.2013 , 09:11 AM | #88
A check is just that- it bars people. No reasoning or understanding is required, nor gained by implementing it. As Urare suggested, people internalizing this understanding would be a far, far better choice for the community as a whole.

You seem to have forsaken any hope for that. My condolences.
How do you imagine "the community teaching"? Posting an explanation in gen chat every 30 minutes? We don't know who knows and who doesn't. The server communities are big an anonymous.

A gear check that denies people to queue with a simple pop up saying "Your armor rating is not high enough." or whatever else to that effect would people point toward the problem and give them the option to specifically ask about it, at which point the community can start teaching, aimed at those who want/need it.

It doesn't even have to be a check that denies queue, it could be a check that just states "Be aware that for this content a certain level of gear is recommended/required." Whatever it is, just something that raises awareness in the unaware before they queue would be nice.
Looking for a referral link? Support Dulfy's and Exile's work on Dulfy.net, TOR-Fashion.com and TOR-Decorating.com by using their referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/794P7w
Quote: Originally Posted by Feargal View Post
A totally logical and reasonable answer. Clearly you have no concept of what forums are for.

WildbloodX
07.07.2013 , 09:34 AM | #89
I would have to agree with the OP! EAWare you have to do something about this issue. As someone who has been on both sides of the spectrum, I can say it was bad to accidentally be placed in a lvl 55 run that I was way under geared for. I did not realize I was in a difficulty that required gear rating I was nowhere near, and felt bad for the group when I failed on the first mob and had to leave the group as the main tank.

Since them, I paid close attention to the gear requirements and de-selected the runs I was not geared for, however there are many noobs that do not know how to the above and get thrown into a group just to be the weak link. Additionally, you canít trust the players to de-select the runs they are not geared for. And as the OP stated, it is really bad when you have a weak link and have to VK them because they are under geared, and even worst if it happens to be a tank or healer.

PLEASE FIX THIS!

SkunkWerks
07.07.2013 , 09:40 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by KyaniteD View Post
We don't know who knows and who doesn't.
Exactly my point. Communication is a two-way thing. When I don't know something, I ask. But I comprehend why some people might be hesitant to. After all, "stupid" questions are often met with contempt from "more experienced" players.

Quote: Originally Posted by KyaniteD View Post
The server communities are big an anonymous.
Then they aren't communities.