Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Your experience with F2P players?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Your experience with F2P players?

Uruare's Avatar


Uruare
07.07.2013 , 07:32 AM | #31
I rarely even know if people I'm running with are F2P or aren't unless they say so. I've never felt the need to ask for any reason other than asking new-ish friends if they were F2P and, if so, if they needed any of the unlocks I like to sell.

Other than that, I tend not to know or care. Want to fix the problem with jerk looters? Fix the loot system. Rolling for loot is great in tabletop, where a GM/DM is sitting there and can call you a gorram idgit if you think you're going to have your Mage roll for the sword only the Paladin or Fighter can use.

Here in MMO land? Even WoW's had to give up on rolling for its LFR system because why?

It does nothing but enable tards and ninjas to roll Need on everything irrespective of reasons. It doesn't make anything more fun, it doesn't 'foster excitement and suspense'.

It creates a hugely unnecessary amount of anxiety.

So, just as soon as groupfinder content gets put on a personal auto-roll for a loot system with no possibility of anybody screwing others, this will be dead history. Keep trade options, of course; nothing wrong with being able to swap stuff between people or give/sell something you've got to someone else in the run, or indeed for guilds to heap their rewards on a single guildie they're carrying to gear.

SkunkWerks's Avatar


SkunkWerks
07.07.2013 , 07:34 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Six-Echo View Post
I'm hanging on by a thread in this game now because of F2P.. The maturity level in this game has reached record lows and now makes WoW look like an online utopia.

I've been playing online games since 300bps modems and dial-up BBS and this is by far the most hostile and unpleasant community online now.

I've ignored so many players its ridiculous. And the tired, played out "turn off gen chat" argument is bunk. W/o gen chat you can't find groups or organize events... If continuing on in this game means dumbing it down by disabling chat channels I'll take my leave instead.. Lots of other games in the pipeline right now.
More players means more players you're probably not going to like. This is the same in any game.

A far, far better strategy (assuming you really like to play MMOs and would prefer to be playing at least one of them) than either leaving the game, or turning chat off is to- bear with me here, this is a revolutionary concept and kinda scary-

Accept that there will always be people whose behavior and actions you won't care for. Then- instead of reaching for
"/ignore" or the little chat toggle thingy, use the really wonderful filter you have built into your thinkmeat...

...and stop paying them any mind.

Ten years or so in MMOs, six spent in WoW. I would say I'm a much happier player for it, but frankly I understood this very fundamental and vital lesson when I went into MMOs on the whole. I understood it because the rule really isn't any different in life than it is in game.

Unless someone is doing something that directly affects me- it doesn't affect me.

Easy-peasy.

Six-Echo's Avatar


Six-Echo
07.07.2013 , 07:41 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by SkunkWerks View Post
More players means more players you're probably not going to like. This is the same in any game.

A far, far better strategy (assuming you really like to play MMOs and would prefer to be playing at least one of them) than either leaving the game, or turning chat off is to- bear with me here, this is a revolutionary concept and kinda scary-

Accept that there will always be people whose behavior and actions you won't care for. Then- instead of reacing for
"/ignore" or the little chat toggle thingy, use the really wonderful filter you have built into your thinkmeat...

...and stop paying them any mind.

Ten years or so in MMOs, six spent in WoW. I would say I'm a much happier player for it, but frankly I understood this very fundamental and vital lesson when I went into MMOs on the whole. I understood it because the rule really isn't any different in life than it is in game.

Unless someone is doing something that directly affects me- it doesn't affect me.

Easy-peasy.
I've been playing these games since I had a 300bps modem and was dialing into a UC-Berkeley system running one of the first MUDs... then Meridian 59, EQ1 and everything since... and I've never got to the point where I am leaving a game because of the maturity.

So your argument is fail.

You can't turn off gen chat if you want to find heroic groups, world boss take downs, etc.... If I have to turn off gen chat that is the nail in the coffin for me.. Might as well be playing a single player game at that point.

I don't know if its the genre or what, because other F2P MMO"s aren't this bad.. not even in the same order of magnitude.

SkunkWerks's Avatar


SkunkWerks
07.07.2013 , 07:44 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Six-Echo View Post
So your argument is fail.
You are as affected as you choose to be. Evidently here you've decided to be more profoundly affected.

Don't see why, really. But I do know what it's like to get caught up in something. Slap the blinders on and not see anything else.

My argument is fine. Obviously plenty of players play MMOs without having nervous breakdowns about the "maturity level". I believe as someone else put it in here recently, forums make up perhaps 5% of the playerbase- the 'vocal minority', if you will.

How are all these other people not going crazy if I'm wrong, hmm?

Uruare's Avatar


Uruare
07.07.2013 , 07:48 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Six-Echo View Post
I've been playing these games since I had a 300bps modem and was dialing into a UC-Berkeley system running one of the first MUDs... then Meridian 59, EQ1 and everything since... and I've never got to the point where I am leaving a game because of the maturity.

So your argument is fail.

You can't turn off gen chat if you want to find heroic groups, world boss take downs, etc.... If I have to turn off gen chat that is the nail in the coffin for me.. Might as well be playing a single player game at that point.

I don't know if its the genre or what, because other F2P MMO"s aren't this bad.. not even in the same order of magnitude.
And you still haven't learned how to deal with those that annoy you?

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
07.07.2013 , 08:14 AM | #36
In my experience, generally speaking the regular subs are the worst as far as being undergeared and having bad attitudes, followed by founders, preferred, then F2P.

So far the F2P folks are acting the best, and seem to be geared up for runs. I don't know why, maybe its that they can only do so many runs per week, or have to pay to wear purples, but generally speaking its the subs and founders that are still lacking.

And the founders attitude....don't get me started on that.

SkunkWerks's Avatar


SkunkWerks
07.07.2013 , 08:16 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
And the founders attitude....don't get me started on that.
I'm a founder.

shonenjumpstyle's Avatar


shonenjumpstyle
07.07.2013 , 08:17 AM | #38
The majority of F2Players are just fine to me. The only thing I dislike about them is the fact that they can't level with me and will continually be left in my dust due to all the godforsaken restrictions on them. Thus, I go out of my way to help them whenever I can.

Jaxtes's Avatar


Jaxtes
07.07.2013 , 09:05 AM | #39
I was a f2p few weeks back tried the game for about a week thought there were too many restrictions and subbed in. I believe this is not the feeling people should have to sub. As for f2p players find most of them are well mannered but find some of the other subs who teamed with us acting immaturely towards them.