Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Your experience with F2P players?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Your experience with F2P players?

BennettWHU's Avatar


BennettWHU
06.29.2013 , 06:13 AM | #1
The F2P Player



I am starting this thread to see what experiences other people have had with the F2P player as I've had nothing but trouble from them. A lot of people on my server will only let subscribers join their Guilds, only group with subscribers and generally ignore anything a F2P player says or asks. This might seem a little unfair, but I'll explain MY reasons for not liking the general F2P player.


Instances

The first time I went into an instance with someone who was F2P was when I began levelling my Sith Juggernaut. The instance was Black Talon and everything was going fine until loot started to drop. A piece of armour dropped and I rolled 'greed' and he rolled a 'need'. I forget now, but the armour was definitely not for his class. After asking him "Are you new?" and "Are you F2P?" he answered yes to both of my questions. Without getting angry, I explained the 'need' over 'greed' system and he apologized and said it wouldn't happen again until he saw something he could use. A few minutes pass and it happens again and again and again. Each time he would 'need' an item I'd ask him "Why?" and he would not reply. Finally having enough, I left the group and found him talking in general chat about 5 minutes later stating I was a ninja looter and I'd took all the loot!

Now, one bad experience doesn't mean every F2P player is like that, right? Well, in my case, yes. Since that instance, every F2P player I've grouped with has done this and either ignored the groups questions or stated he is F2P and can't trade the item back. These experiences have caused me to NEVER group with a F2P player at all now and it is a shame because I imagine not every F2P player uses their lack of abilities to ninja everything.


Cartel Coins & F2P Player Rights

This happened on board the fleet and I was quite shocked to see this said, but a F2P player was complaining about his right to Cartel Coins and saying that they have just as much entitlement to 500 Cartel Coins a month as subscribers do. His excuse was that if it wasn't for the F2P player, the game would be long dead because "the F2P player buys more Cartel Coins than any subscriber in SWTOR as they use them more often". Before this had happened, I had offered to buy stuff from the Cartel Market for people who would then buy it from me with credits. This guy had asked me for a credit escrow of 600k and told me 50k was an adequate price for it and that I should accept his offer. I told him "No" quite simply and said to get some Cartel Coins and buy it himself. Then the general chat rant began.


Conclusion

These are just two of my experiences with the F2P player, but I'd like to know yours. Have you had nothing but good times with the F2P player or nothing but terrible times? This thread is not a thread to post hate about my post or anyone else's. This is for you to share you experiences.
The Ebon Enclave

CKHelseth's Avatar


CKHelseth
06.29.2013 , 06:19 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by BennettWHU View Post
His excuse was that if it wasn't for the F2P player, the game would be long dead because "the F2P player buys more Cartel Coins than any subscriber in SWTOR as they use them more often".
Bioware has already said that subscribers buy more CCs than F2P do. So yeah the person is wrong. F2P didn't "save" the game. Subscribers did.

It could be argued that prices for unlocks that F2P use could be lower on the GTN. Seen a lot of listings since F2P was introduced that did not seem to take into account the credit restrictions on F2P accounts. Just my experience of course.
Guild Leader - Solatium (Imp)/Pandalorians(Pub)
Maren - Sniper Krysar - Juggernaut Catface - Starfighter

bannsider's Avatar


bannsider
06.29.2013 , 06:22 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by CKHelseth;6488360[B
]Bioware has already said that subscribers buy more CCs than F2P do. So yeah the person is wrong. F2P didn't "save" the game. Subscribers did. [/B]

It could be argued that prices for unlocks that F2P use could be lower on the GTN. Seen a lot of listings since F2P was introduced that did not seem to take into account the credit restrictions on F2P accounts. Just my experience of course.
Yup, hit the nail on the head. We subsidize 90% of the free to play players who play the game without spending a penny. Subs have always been the core of this game band its subs paying most the cash in the coins shop..... and Bioware know it.

My experience of FTP is that too much content is put into the market and not enough into the base game and as a sub (who has spent quite a lot on buying additional coins, im not against the existence of the market) this annoys me. Im very much in the camp that believes BW do not do enough to rewards subscribers.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
06.29.2013 , 06:31 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by BennettWHU View Post
The F2P Player



I am starting this thread to see what experiences other people have had with the F2P player as I've had nothing but trouble from them. A lot of people on my server will only let subscribers join their Guilds, only group with subscribers and generally ignore anything a F2P player says or asks. This might seem a little unfair, but I'll explain MY reasons for not liking the general F2P player.


Instances

The first time I went into an instance with someone who was F2P was when I began levelling my Sith Juggernaut. The instance was Black Talon and everything was going fine until loot started to drop. A piece of armour dropped and I rolled 'greed' and he rolled a 'need'. I forget now, but the armour was definitely not for his class. After asking him "Are you new?" and "Are you F2P?" he answered yes to both of my questions. Without getting angry, I explained the 'need' over 'greed' system and he apologized and said it wouldn't happen again until he saw something he could use. A few minutes pass and it happens again and again and again. Each time he would 'need' an item I'd ask him "Why?" and he would not reply. Finally having enough, I left the group and found him talking in general chat about 5 minutes later stating I was a ninja looter and I'd took all the loot!

Now, one bad experience doesn't mean every F2P player is like that, right? Well, in my case, yes. Since that instance, every F2P player I've grouped with has done this and either ignored the groups questions or stated he is F2P and can't trade the item back. These experiences have caused me to NEVER group with a F2P player at all now and it is a shame because I imagine not every F2P player uses their lack of abilities to ninja everything.


Cartel Coins & F2P Player Rights

This happened on board the fleet and I was quite shocked to see this said, but a F2P player was complaining about his right to Cartel Coins and saying that they have just as much entitlement to 500 Cartel Coins a month as subscribers do. His excuse was that if it wasn't for the F2P player, the game would be long dead because "the F2P player buys more Cartel Coins than any subscriber in SWTOR as they use them more often". Before this had happened, I had offered to buy stuff from the Cartel Market for people who would then buy it from me with credits. This guy had asked me for a credit escrow of 600k and told me 50k was an adequate price for it and that I should accept his offer. I told him "No" quite simply and said to get some Cartel Coins and buy it himself. Then the general chat rant began.


Conclusion

These are just two of my experiences with the F2P player, but I'd like to know yours. Have you had nothing but good times with the F2P player or nothing but terrible times? This thread is not a thread to post hate about my post or anyone else's. This is for you to share you experiences.
With all due respect man I find your post to be somewhat in bad taste. I know your'e posting about your own experiences with F2P but it is only negative experiences and tend to believe that there must have been at least one positive instance with a free player. If you wish you foster a discussion about experiences then wouldn't it be better to have a least some positive mention instead of just negativity.

Anyway to the post itself I have had pretty decent experiences with free players. In our guild we accept all players sub preferred or free it really does not matter. If they require unlocks we provide them in our guildbank, if however they want to do ops we request a unlock before hand if not then we do not allow free players into ops. Basically we are there to help them but if there is issues we deal with it.

Personally when I speak to F2P players they usually are quite decent, they accept the fact they are restricted and to me they are quite respectful. If they buy unlocks and join FP's i happen to be part of they are just regular players to me. Overall i do not have a problem with them and my average interaction is quite alright.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

chimex's Avatar


chimex
06.29.2013 , 06:35 AM | #5
I've had no problems with F2P people. In fact, I don't even ask. Yes you get the odd person who is new to this game, or MMO's in general, but who cares. Everyone has a first day.

By all means, you sound like you've had shockingly bad luck with some players (I assume you ask each and every person if they are free to play, or this thread would be baseless!) But my personal experience does not mirror that.

As for your server not grouping with F2P or accepting them into guilds, that's nasty
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

zzoorrzz's Avatar


zzoorrzz
06.29.2013 , 06:43 AM | #6
My experience with f2p players is the same as with anybody else.

Sayu's Avatar


Sayu
06.29.2013 , 07:03 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CKHelseth View Post
Bioware has already said that subscribers buy more CCs than F2P do.
This is rather pointless. Due to heavy restrictions, what F2P customer would buy CC instead of a subscription? ... y-up.

Tatanka's Avatar


Tatanka
06.29.2013 , 07:08 AM | #8
Most F2P players I've encountered are too scared to admit they are F2P for fear of being being singled out as lowlife leeches. And any of the FP F2P loot troublemakers usually ended up being subscribers just out to get a rise from the group.

RahaylaCora's Avatar


RahaylaCora
06.29.2013 , 07:30 AM | #9
First of all, I played for 5 months as a F2P. Now i am a subscriber. If i wouldn't have the choice to test the game i wasn't here.

I commited that mistake until i was explained how it works rewarding or looting in a group. Since then, i am the player who pass 95% of the times.

You are wrong with your subdivision (F2P / subscribers). The player subdisvision is, as always and everywhere, good or bad players.

Respect for the F2P, ignore list for the bad players..

Mikroswitch's Avatar


Mikroswitch
06.29.2013 , 07:58 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by RahaylaCora View Post
You are wrong with your subdivision (F2P / subscribers). The player subdisvision is, as always and everywhere, good or bad.

Bingo!!!
In fact some of the worse cases of needing on a non spec item are done by subscribers who want the loot for another alt or companion of a alt .....
Attitude wise it's like real life there are nice people and not so nice people.
< THE MiK LEGACY >
Mikrosurgery : Sawbones
Mikroswitch : Vanguard