Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to make decent money early?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
How to make decent money early?

Deathstalker_
06.10.2013 , 01:14 PM | #1
My understanding is that, in order to keep your gear current, you need to get a full set of orange gear, and every so often, you upgrade the mods to your current level via GTN. However, the prices on the GTN are exorbitant, to the point that you can never actually afford to do this via normal solo play. How am I supposed to make the money needed to keep my gear current, when the missions I'm doing give crap money? And keep in mind that I don't enjoy PvP, and it often takes forever to find a group, so Flashpoints and Warzones aren't really a viable way to pull this off for me.

MSchuyler
06.10.2013 , 01:44 PM | #2
If you do nearly all the planetary quests, you ought to earn enough commendations to buy the mods. If you do Flashpoints and Heroics, you get even more coms. The harder quests tend to give you more coms, too. Also, don't even think about orange gear until your past Level 10 because you can't really get mods much lower than that. I've seen some level 9's, but that's about it. At the lower levels Green Gear is probably better for you because orange is bare bones.

To fully outfit a player you will need 18 mods costing 77 coms. Then there are the mods for weapons, so it's closer to 100 coms for absolutely everything. I believe they all cost the same from the com mod vendor no matter what the level. Of course you have to choose the coms over the other rewards after a quest, but if you look at the rewards, it's rare that anything beats a com. You usually get a gamble box and a couple of pieces of mediocre gear, or a com. I just got a mod, worth two coms, as a reward, but I must say this is relatively rare.

I'm actually doing an experiment right now with an alt. I got him orange gear and am doing a comparison. So far (and I'm just barely into it) Green Gear that drops is proving stronger than low-mod orange gear. The idea is that you ought to get some good green gear drops in the normal act of play, and that should do you until you get high enough to want/need orange gear.

Also, just so you know, repair costs for orange gear are WAY higher than for green gear. So this idea that "orange gear is always better" is not really true. It's a different approach that, when you use it correctly, can keep your guys armored up, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with green gear. One advantage to orange gear is that you can choose which mods to place in them, so if you need cunning and endurance instead of aim and endurance, you can choose which mod to insert.

If you are strapped for cash and not foolish enough to use the Cartel Market for pets and fluff, you can always save your monthly allotment and buy something to post on the GTN to get you a little bit ahead of the game credits wise without spending real money to do so.

parmie
06.10.2013 , 02:03 PM | #3
The basics are - do lots of side quests, always loot grey junk as it really adds up over time. Never miss an opportunity to farm a point when you see one. Either use it for your own crafting or sell the mats.

Deathstalker_
06.10.2013 , 02:16 PM | #4
I'm doing every sidequest I see, and looting everything, but I didn't realize that Planetary Commendations were so important, so I've been passing them by. I may need to restart my Sentinel again to make sure I start picking those up. From the sound of it, I can just take any and all Planetary Commendations I see, and when I get enough to buy gear in shops, pick up whatever is best for my class. As for Orange gear, I should leave it until higher levels, unless I get handed one as quest reward (that doesn't have Planetary Commendations as an alternate choice), in which case I can go ahead and use it as long as I can keep upgrading the mods for it. Is this correct?

As for buying the gear, should I do all my purchases from the Fleet, or is it better to stick with Specialty Vendors on planets?

Khevar
06.10.2013 , 02:36 PM | #5
If you aren't interesting in making your first toon a crafting toon, I would recommend getting these three crew skills:

Scavenging
Slicing
Underworld Trading

As you level, you can run into nodes for scavenging and slicing. Droids can also be scavenged. Meanwhile, send your non-active companions out on UT missions for blue materials.

The slicing nodes will give you straight credits. The scavenging and UT materials can be sold for good money on the GTN.

Deathstalker_
06.10.2013 , 03:10 PM | #6
I actually went Cybertech instead of Slicing, since it lets you create Armoring (which is used by pretty much all armor pieces, I think) and Mods (which is used by just about everything, including weapons). The plan is to work the Cybertech skill up and reverse engineer everything I craft to try to get better blueprints, then reverse engineer those, and so on. My hope is to be able to keep at least my Armoring and Mods current on any orange gear I happen to pick up (though I won't be making that a priority anymore).

Interestingly enough, part of the reason I'm looking to get a steady income is so I can keep sending companions on Scavenging and Underworld Trading missions, as that's the only way I've been able to get materials for Cybertech Crafting. The missions themselves don't cost much, but because I'm Reverse Engineering everything instead of selling it, it's a constant drain on my finances, so I will eventually run out of money. Heck, I don't even know how I'm ever going to afford the 35,000 fee for Speeder Piloting at Level 15.

MagikFingerz
06.10.2013 , 03:49 PM | #7
Planetary comms are very easy to get. I don't even do any sidequests (though I do a few flashpoints in between planets, usually getting at least the group finder + Emerging Conflicts dailies) and I have much problems getting enough Planetaries for myself and my companion. Another thing you could do is the PvP daily/weekly and trade Warzone comms for Planetaries.
Assassin - Thoraxx (55) | Jugg Tank - Haxxion (24) Operative - Axihn (20) | Powertech - Drexxin (25)
Sage Healer - Caranx (33) | Sentinel - Wu'Chi (40) Gunslinger - Jhaxx (21) | Commando - Chronix (20)

Khevar
06.10.2013 , 03:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Deathstalker_ View Post
I actually went Cybertech instead of Slicing, since it lets you create Armoring (which is used by pretty much all armor pieces, I think) and Mods (which is used by just about everything, including weapons). The plan is to work the Cybertech skill up and reverse engineer everything I craft to try to get better blueprints, then reverse engineer those, and so on. My hope is to be able to keep at least my Armoring and Mods current on any orange gear I happen to pick up (though I won't be making that a priority anymore).

Interestingly enough, part of the reason I'm looking to get a steady income is so I can keep sending companions on Scavenging and Underworld Trading missions, as that's the only way I've been able to get materials for Cybertech Crafting. The missions themselves don't cost much, but because I'm Reverse Engineering everything instead of selling it, it's a constant drain on my finances, so I will eventually run out of money. Heck, I don't even know how I'm ever going to afford the 35,000 fee for Speeder Piloting at Level 15.
I completely understand what you're doing here, and I tried to do exactly that on my first toon.

While I was leveling on my first toon, making my own gear, it was actually a bit of a slog. I tended to be low on money, as the materials I was gathering went into the rather expensive reverse-engineer process. It was a bit frustrating, actually.

On my second toon I exclusively went for the money making approach I mentioned (slicing/scavenging/ut), and had 350k in the bank by the time I left Tatooine, despite having to buy my own gear (rather than crafting it).

It wasn't until my third and fourth toons that the initial investment in cybertech began to pay off, as I had already learned a number of schematics.

I feel that cybertech isn't very useful until have a LOT of raw materials in your cargo hold to do reverse engineering, which is quite difficult to do on your first toon. Your mileage may vary.

Deathstalker_
06.10.2013 , 03:59 PM | #9
The gains from Slicing aren't very big money-wise, from what I've seen, so I'm assuming that you were just picking up the raw materials, then turning around and selling them. Is that right? I've been keeping raw materials, since I don't know what I'll need for crafting later, but if the materials bring in that kind of money, then I may just worry about getting materials when I get to a higher level and start looking at actually making and upgrading my gear.

Khevar
06.10.2013 , 05:54 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Deathstalker_ View Post
The gains from Slicing aren't very big money-wise, from what I've seen, so I'm assuming that you were just picking up the raw materials, then turning around and selling them. Is that right? I've been keeping raw materials, since I don't know what I'll need for crafting later, but if the materials bring in that kind of money, then I may just worry about getting materials when I get to a higher level and start looking at actually making and upgrading my gear.
As far as slicing goes, I didn't run lockbox missions while leveling, I only gathered open-world nodes lying around.

Same with scavenging, I wouldn't run scavenging missions, I would just gather world nodes and droid kills.

However, I would run UT missions.

By level 25, you can have 3 crew missions running. When I left Nar Shadaa on my Trooper, I had 4 companions (including the ship droid) so I could have one companion helping me quest with the other 3 running UT missions.

Grade 2 UT missions take about 10 minutes and return 4-10 Mullinine. If I stayed on top of things, I could keep 2-3 missions running at all times, and get a stack of 99 in less than an hour, which would sell for good money. If the Mullinine market was ever flooded, I could do the same thing with Xonolite (grade 3).