Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why I'm giving up crafting.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why I'm giving up crafting.

TheRealFluffy
05.31.2013 , 07:36 PM | #1
I believe crafting should be both useful for gaming and beneficial for making money. But the reality is you get better gear from operations. You get better money from selling raw materials. Why bother getting top level schematics when the next week you'll get better gear from an operation? If someone puts in the effort to reach the top in a craft, they should be able to craft the best gear in the game. Otherwise there's simply no point.

Khevar
05.31.2013 , 08:15 PM | #2
I understand that you're frustrated at not being able to craft the best gear in the game, and that is important enough to you to stop crafting altogether.

But your opening statement is:
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealFluffy View Post
I believe crafting should be both useful for gaming and beneficial for making money.
And the fact of the matter, crafting allows you to do both. Here are a few ways:

1. The 10-45 bracket is extremely hot area for crafting opportunities. I craft for my alts, my guildies, and these products move quite well on the GTN.
2. Selling raw mats vs final crafted product fluctuates. Sometimes it is better to craft. Recently, I've gotten in the habit of crafting and selling Grade 28 Augments and it has been very profitable. I keep an eye on the Thermal Regulator market just in case, but for a while now I've been making 50% more profit selling the final product over the raw materials.
3. Remember that NO Best in Slot gear is complete without Augments and Augment Kits that DON'T come from raids.
4. Artifice and Armstech can craft grade 30 hilts, grade 30 barrels, and low-endurance grade 30 enhancements.

Have you looked over the garbage high-endo enhancements in the Verpine stuff? One of my guildies unlocked the Adept Enhancement 30 and Initiative Enhancement 30. He crafted 3 of these for my main. Despite my group having HM SV on farm, I STILL haven't replaced all of them.

The Skill Barrel 30, Reflex Barrel 30, Might Hilt 30, Adept Enhancement 30 and Initiative Enhancement 30 all sell for 1-2 million. Which is a significant profit over the raw materials. And just imagine what happens when you get a crit.

When 2.2 drops and the grade 31 gear is available for crafting, the same thing will happen.

Feel free to give up crafting. But it's silly to think that crafting "isn't useful for gaming" and "isn't beneficial for making money".

tanktest
05.31.2013 , 08:41 PM | #3
I feel for him to .I won't give up crafting but give us the mats so we can actlly use the Schematic more at least before 2.0 we had way better access to mats the problem was not the mats it was we could make in game gear . We can't now and I heard off till now about saying anything in the line making stuff .

But am now with 72 being able to REed in 2.2 .

MY main issue now is mats , and how useless even the 72 I'll be able to craft will in a way be useless to me .

Here is a post I made asking why and remember I did hold my peace till now .

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645658

its is now gonna be pointless letting us make the next to best gear and only the rich or high profile players can .

read my other post before you flame me .. and I did say I heard my peace till now . .

Thundergulch
06.01.2013 , 07:49 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealFluffy View Post
If someone puts in the effort to reach the top in a craft, they should be able to craft the best gear in the game. Otherwise there's simply no point.
Wrong, making the top tier gear available to everyone makes end game raiding useless.
The whole point of end game raiding is to obtain the best gear available, not for everyone and their brother to buy it off the GTN.

asbalana
06.01.2013 , 11:46 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I understand that you're frustrated at not being able to craft the best gear in the game, and that is important enough to you to stop crafting altogether.

But your opening statement is:

And the fact of the matter, crafting allows you to do both. Here are a few ways:

1. The 10-45 bracket is extremely hot area for crafting opportunities. I craft for my alts, my guildies, and these products move quite well on the GTN.
2. Selling raw mats vs final crafted product fluctuates. Sometimes it is better to craft. Recently, I've gotten in the habit of crafting and selling Grade 28 Augments and it has been very profitable. I keep an eye on the Thermal Regulator market just in case, but for a while now I've been making 50% more profit selling the final product over the raw materials.
3. Remember that NO Best in Slot gear is complete without Augments and Augment Kits that DON'T come from raids.
4. Artifice and Armstech can craft grade 30 hilts, grade 30 barrels, and low-endurance grade 30 enhancements.

Have you looked over the garbage high-endo enhancements in the Verpine stuff? One of my guildies unlocked the Adept Enhancement 30 and Initiative Enhancement 30. He crafted 3 of these for my main. Despite my group having HM SV on farm, I STILL haven't replaced all of them.

The Skill Barrel 30, Reflex Barrel 30, Might Hilt 30, Adept Enhancement 30 and Initiative Enhancement 30 all sell for 1-2 million. Which is a significant profit over the raw materials. And just imagine what happens when you get a crit.

When 2.2 drops and the grade 31 gear is available for crafting, the same thing will happen.

Feel free to give up crafting. But it's silly to think that crafting "isn't useful for gaming" and "isn't beneficial for making money".
Although I disagree with a lot of what you said, I will address point 2. I am currently logged on to Harbinger and have the GTN up as I post.

Thermal Regulators are going at (lowest) 28,500 credits.

Purple level 28 augments are as follows (partial list):

Might - 115,000
Overkill - 108,000
Absorb - 114,000
skill - 117,000
shiled - 118,000
resolve - 119,000
reflex - 118,500.

So I think that you are saying that selling an item for 114,000 to 120,000 gives 50% more profit than selling four of only one of the mats that are used to making it for 28,500 each.

Want to clarify?

Khevar
06.01.2013 , 12:56 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by asbalana View Post
Although I disagree with a lot of what you said, I will address point 2. I am currently logged on to Harbinger and have the GTN up as I post.

Thermal Regulators are going at (lowest) 28,500 credits.

Purple level 28 augments are as follows (partial list):

Might - 115,000
Overkill - 108,000
Absorb - 114,000
skill - 117,000
shiled - 118,000
resolve - 119,000
reflex - 118,500.

So I think that you are saying that selling an item for 114,000 to 120,000 gives 50% more profit than selling four of only one of the mats that are used to making it for 28,500 each.

Want to clarify?
On Begeren Colony right at this very moment:

Thermal Regulator - 34k
Augments:
Might - 184k
Overkill - 194k
Absorb - 195k
Skill - 184k
Shield - 182k
Resolve - 219k
Reflex - 182k
Redoubt - 198k

10 augments take 40 TRs. I could sell those for 1.36 million. OR

I craft 5 Resolve, 5 Redoubt on my Synth. Kira has +5, and C2-N2 has +5. So far, every time I do a block of 10, I've gotten 2-3 crits. This makes sense as I have a 23% crit chance with each of them.

13 augments would sell for 2.6 million which is, in fact, a 100% profit increase over the raw mats. If I got no crits, it would be 2 million, which is a 47% profit over the raw materials.

As for disagreeing with the rest:

1. Are you saying the 10-45 bracket is worthless for crafting opportunities?
3. Are you saying Best in Slot gear is possible without augments? Or that augments can be obtained from raids?
4. Are you saying that grade 30 hilts/barrels/enhancements cannot be crafted? That they aren't valuable? Or that they don't sell?

asbalana
06.01.2013 , 05:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
On Begeren Colony right at this very moment:

Thermal Regulator - 34k
Augments:
Might - 184k
Overkill - 194k
Absorb - 195k
Skill - 184k
Shield - 182k
Resolve - 219k
Reflex - 182k
Redoubt - 198k

10 augments take 40 TRs. I could sell those for 1.36 million. OR

I craft 5 Resolve, 5 Redoubt on my Synth. Kira has +5, and C2-N2 has +5. So far, every time I do a block of 10, I've gotten 2-3 crits. This makes sense as I have a 23% crit chance with each of them.

13 augments would sell for 2.6 million which is, in fact, a 100% profit increase over the raw mats. If I got no crits, it would be 2 million, which is a 47% profit over the raw materials.

As for disagreeing with the rest:

1. Are you saying the 10-45 bracket is worthless for crafting opportunities?
3. Are you saying Best in Slot gear is possible without augments? Or that augments can be obtained from raids?
4. Are you saying that grade 30 hilts/barrels/enhancements cannot be crafted? That they aren't valuable? Or that they don't sell?
Indeed true, I just checked it out. Begeren Colony TRs = 33K, advanced might augment 185k, == profit. Unfortunately I am on Harbinger where TRs = 26,500, advanced might augment 112k, == loss.

I think that your view is that of your server and not of mine. I am not sure what the others are showing. So I would take exception to your ccnclusions. (PS - BW can I transfer all of my characters to Begeren Colony so that crafting will be good for me too). I will not comment on the other points since it is probably a case of the same. Economy limping along poorly on Harbinger and not totally trashed on Begeren Colony at the moment.

It may make sense to ask those that say that they are having bad experience which server they are on before you refute their comments with activity on your own.

Khevar
06.01.2013 , 05:54 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by asbalana View Post

It may make sense to ask those that say that they are having bad experience which server they are on before you refute their comments with activity on your own.
This is a fair request.

But tell me now, do you really believe, that on The Harbinger, crafting is both "not useful for gaming" and "not beneficial for making money"?

And if so, can you elaborate on why that is?

mike_is_valid
06.01.2013 , 10:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
Wrong, making the top tier gear available to everyone makes end game raiding useless.
The whole point of end game raiding is to obtain the best gear available, not for everyone and their brother to buy it off the GTN.
End game gear should be craftable as well in my opinion. If the gear drops are the only motivation for raiding and the great teamwork and team skill required for the raid doesn't motivate, then something is wrong here. I had the impression that the success expirience as a raiding team is the motivation here.

As it is now the first two tiers are not craftable (because the mats come only from raid drops), which cuts the non raiders away from gear progression in a unfair manner IMO and hands a license to print money over to the raiding community by selling the mats. I have no problem with raids dropping very special (bound) items like mounts, pets etc. and of corse tier 1 gear. But PVE gear as raid only, is a no go.

Lore wise i see no reason for top rated gear no being crafteble, the end boss must have gotten it from somewhere in the first place, or not? So there is a crafter somewhere around with the knowledge to make this stuff. They could add a mission line (master craftsman as entry condition for instance) to find this fellow and learn from him. Then we would have a end game progression for other then raid playstyles.

The end game is unfairly balanced towards raiding and all other playstyles including PVP are treated badly.
Raid gear drops are PVE gear NOT raiding gear alone, so a PVE player need a way to obtain it, especialy when all kind of events are scaled up now.

Khevar
06.02.2013 , 12:21 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by mike_is_valid View Post
End game gear should be craftable as well in my opinion. If the gear drops are the only motivation for raiding and the great teamwork and team skill required for the raid doesn't motivate, then something is wrong here. I had the impression that the success expirience as a raiding team is the motivation here.

As it is now the first two tiers are not craftable (because the mats come only from raid drops), which cuts the non raiders away from gear progression in a unfair manner IMO and hands a license to print money over to the raiding community by selling the mats. I have no problem with raids dropping very special (bound) items like mounts, pets etc. and of corse tier 1 gear. But PVE gear as raid only, is a no go.

What difference if the mats come from raid drops? Buy them on the gtn, craft, sell for a profit.

You can still make plenty of millions without ever setting foot in a raid.

Oh, and "License to print money" is absurd hyperbole. Most of the raiders I know are not remotely rich. And the crafters I know that are, don't need to raid to make good money.

Read the thread stickied at the top of this forum if you need to learn how to profit in this game.