Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Republic - Not quite as nice a group as you'd think!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Republic - Not quite as nice a group as you'd think!

Remissus
05.26.2013 , 09:43 AM | #1
So I was reading the "Journal of Master Gnost-Dural" that came with my Collector's Edition last night, and I came across this tidbit on page 52:

Quote: Originally Posted by Master Gnost-Dural
All that is certain is that at the end of the war, the Republic did indeed send troops to scour Korriban's surface and ensure the Sith were completely vanquished.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but... isn't this -genocide-? Korriban was left completely lifeless; That means that unarmed men, women, and children who may not have even had anything to -do- with the Hyperspace War were murdered in cold blood after the actual fighting was over. And that one line is the only mention of it! There's nothing preceding or written after it to suggest that Master Gnost-Dural feels even a hint of regret at the loss of life, and in fact, after that one line I posted it is never mentioned again.

I'm pretty sure saying that "Well they did x and y to us, so it was fair!" is just not an appropriate excuse here. War or not, a group claiming to stand for justice and democracy should not be committing wholesale slaughter. I'll admit I was a bit surprised to read this in the journal- So what other instances of meditated evil by the Republic have I missed?!
Rems Issus - Sniper - Imperial Intelligence, Grey Squad
[RP/PVE] [Collector's Edition Owner] [Begeren Colony]

Beniboybling
05.26.2013 , 10:02 AM | #2
Actually, this event was a major turning point for the future of the galaxy and while for some reason it is not well documented in said journal, it is analysed in the one of the Galactic History vids.

This one to be exact, which also contains a full account of the Great Hyperspace War. If you haven't watched all of them already, I suggest you do, they are very interesting.

Basically, after the Sith were defeated during the Great Hyperspace War the Republic effectively committed genocide not just on Korriban but other Sith worlds, to ensure that the threat was entirely destroyed. However this forced the survivors to flee into uncharted space, angry and embittered. Led by the Sith Emperor they came across Dromund Kaas and established it as their new homeworld, swearing revenge against the Republic whom had decimated their people and forced them into exile.

So yes, effectively that one act may very well have caused the rebirth of the Sith Empire and the ensuing Great Galactic War. But what we also have to consider that not all the Sith were killed during the war, so wiping their planet's clean may have been the only way to resolve the threat. But given that it didn't work perhaps it was not the best course of action, certainly not the moral one.

And don't be fooled by the peaceful, democratic facade of the Republic. Without the Jedi they can be corrupt, ruthless and generally immoral.

Bytemite
05.26.2013 , 10:21 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post

And don't be fooled by the peaceful, democratic facade of the Republic. Without the Jedi they can be corrupt, ruthless and generally immoral.
And sometimes with the Jedi too. Since I suspect that the "KILL THEM ALL SCOUR KORRIBAN" idea probably CAME from the Jedi. They can be over-reactive towards what they consider dark side threats.

JLazarillo
05.26.2013 , 10:22 AM | #4
Without the Jedi they can be corrupt, ruthless and generally immoral.
Without the Jedi? The same Jedi who so implicitly understand the policy of "There is no divergence, only murdering any Force user who is not in our order." that they don't even feel the need to state it in their mantra?

zzoorrzz
05.26.2013 , 10:26 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Remissus View Post
I'm pretty sure saying that "Well they did x and y to us, so it was fair!" is just not an appropriate excuse here. War or not, a group claiming to stand for justice and democracy should not be committing wholesale slaughter. I'll admit I was a bit surprised to read this in the journal- So what other instances of meditated evil by the Republic have I missed?!
You're mistaken. This is not act of revenge. They just wanted to make sure that Sith order never raises again and thought this is the way to ensure it. Can't really blame them. This is one of the few times when Jedi were willing to do what is necessary. It's interesting that you find it wrong, and you are right, it's against the Jedi code. It only proves in my eyes that their whole idea is false and the Sith are right. Because in this one case when they finally do what is necessary to do, they are doing what Sith would do in the same situation actually :-)

Beniboybling
05.26.2013 , 10:31 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
And sometimes with the Jedi too. Since I suspect that the "KILL THEM ALL SCOUR KORRIBAN" idea probably CAME from the Jedi. They can be over-reactive towards what they consider dark side threats.
Actually, the idea was proposed by the Supreme Chancellor. However the Jedi did help the military carry out their orders. Pretty dark day for morality as a whole now I think about it.

But I agree, they do have a narrow minded policy when it comes to the dark side. But at least they stay true to their principles and uphold the Jedi Code. Well at least they think they do. I personally, think the only way to resolve the conflict between Jedi and Sith is through reconciliation otherwise its an endless cycle of chaos.

Beniboybling
05.26.2013 , 10:34 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
You're mistaken. This is not act of revenge. They just wanted to make sure that Sith order never raises again and thought this is the way to ensure it. Can't really blame them. This is one of the few times when Jedi were willing to do what is necessary. It's interesting that you find it wrong, and you are right, it's against the Jedi code. It only proves in my eyes that their whole idea is false and the Sith are right. Because in this one case when they finally do what is necessary to do, they are doing what Sith would do in the same situation actually :-)
Neither the Sith nor the Jedi are right really. The Jedi let the Force use them as a tool and so act blindly and the Sith fool themselves into thinking they have control when they do not.

I think Kreia had the right idea, drawing from both sides of the coin rather than adhering to a single idea and most importantly not letting the Force control your actions or your destiny.

zzoorrzz
05.26.2013 , 10:38 AM | #8
Neither the Sith nor the Jedi are right really. The Jedi let the Force use them as a tool and so act blindly and the Sith fool themselves into thinking they have control when they do not.

I think Kreia had the right idea, drawing from both sides of the coin rather than adhering to a single idea and most importantly not letting the Force control your actions or your destiny.
I won't argue that. That's why I said "in my eyes". I still think it's better to rule in hell than serve in heaven.

bionamaster
05.26.2013 , 10:50 AM | #9
Immoral events are all over Star Wars. Letting a 9-year old race in the Boonta Eve Classic, against his mother's wishes. Forcing a Jedi Knight to spy on a government official. Sending Bothans on a suicide mission. By definition, the moral implications are mind-boggling, since two of those three atrocities were committed by Jedi. The catch? They did what they must. They needed spaceship parts. They needed information. They needed the Death Star II's weaknesses. Ironically, events in SWTOR (Like the Belsavis debacle, which most likely lead to the fall of Chancellor Janorus. Not to up to speed on out of game lore from that era) seem completely unnecessary. But the Empire is no better. Attacking the Esseles-a passenger ship!-over a suspected spy, keeping a powerful Force user in stasis for 300 years, attempting to wipe out the Galaxy. So, yeah. Choose your poison.

Just my two cents.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

Bytemite
05.26.2013 , 10:55 AM | #10
Actually, the idea was proposed by the Supreme Chancellor. However the Jedi did help the military carry out their orders. Pretty dark day for morality as a whole now I think about it.
Ah, okay. But yeah, called it that the Jedi were at least involved. They wouldn't miss killing off all the Sith for anything, it's the next best thing they have to a wild party.

Quote:
But I agree, they do have a narrow minded policy when it comes to the dark side. But at least they stay true to their principles and uphold the Jedi Code. Well at least they think they do. I personally, think the only way to resolve the conflict between Jedi and Sith is through reconciliation otherwise its an endless cycle of chaos.
Yeah. Or at least until the Sith institute a rule of two, and a young Jedi accidentally-on-purpose convinces his Sith father to off both the remaining Sith. But maybe that was a reconciliation in a way.

Although I guess there's technically other Sith groups out there after that.