Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why was TCW cancelled?

JimG
05.23.2013 , 01:21 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
My theory is that TCW was too dark/violent for Disney Channel.

Obviously this is just my speculation. But for a kids show, to be shown on the mother of all kid show channels, TCW seemed to break the mold when it came to controversial topics for kids to watch. The slavery episodes, for example. The constant displays of the dark side and its evil powers. Etc.

I think this new series will not focus so much on those more "mature" aspects of the Star Wars universe. For example: less Sith action. I think it'll probably be more action-based, and less focused on characters such as Krell, Anakin, or Ventress and their seduction to the dark side.

Just my theory, but I don't know of any show on Disney Channel like TCW when it comes to violence and mature themes.
Ummmm, did you not read the description of the series that they posted on starwars.com??? "Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape." They are talking about the Empire expanding its domination of the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights. What part of that doesn't sound dark, violent, evil, Sith-oriented, etc? lol

TheBBP
05.23.2013 , 02:40 AM | #12
My theory is that TCW was too dark/violent for Disney Channel.

Obviously this is just my speculation. But for a kids show, to be shown on the mother of all kid show channels, TCW seemed to break the mold when it came to controversial topics for kids to watch. The slavery episodes, for example. The constant displays of the dark side and its evil powers. Etc.

I think this new series will not focus so much on those more "mature" aspects of the Star Wars universe. For example: less Sith action. I think it'll probably be more action-based, and less focused on characters such as Krell, Anakin, or Ventress and their seduction to the dark side.

Just my theory, but I don't know of any show on Disney Channel like TCW when it comes to violence and mature themes.
I was wondering when a post like this would show up.

What is it about the tone of the new show that makes you think that it won't deal with "mature" aspects of the Star Wars Universe? Less Sith action? Who is going to spearhead the culling of the Jedi? They don't want to show "evil"? Again, I point to the culling of the Jedi.

I also take it that you have never watched a show from Disney XD? If not, that is too bad. Phineaus and Ferb is a great show and Kick Buttkowski is quite funny. I have kids, so I have learned to enjoy these. Both shows are filled with quite a bit of subtle adult humor that zooms right over my kids' heads and has me and my wife cracking up.

Do yourself a favor and get it out of your head that "Disney" means that everything is sanitized for children.
Jano Aras'im
Knight of the Old Republic
Saving the Galaxy since Master Muheeda was a Rodian
Ebon Hawk

Beniboybling
05.23.2013 , 05:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
I was wondering when a post like this would show up.

What is it about the tone of the new show that makes you think that it won't deal with "mature" aspects of the Star Wars Universe? Less Sith action? Who is going to spearhead the culling of the Jedi? They don't want to show "evil"? Again, I point to the culling of the Jedi.

I also take it that you have never watched a show from Disney XD? If not, that is too bad. Phineaus and Ferb is a great show and Kick Buttkowski is quite funny. I have kids, so I have learned to enjoy these. Both shows are filled with quite a bit of subtle adult humor that zooms right over my kids' heads and has me and my wife cracking up.

Do yourself a favor and get it out of your head that "Disney" means that everything is sanitized for children.
I think there is a difference between adult humour, and dark/mature themes. The first as you say, goes right over kids heads, the latter hits them right in the face. There is nothing 'subtle' about it so a comparison simply can't be made.

TCW is easily the most mature cartoon on CN and far more mature than anything I've ever seen on Disney XD where even the romance is toned down (ever seen anyone kiss on XD?)

If TCW was a comedy cartoon like Phineas and Ferb or Adventure Time then I'd have no worries, but TCW is not comedy and its 'mature' themes are of different strains, strains that I have not seen present on any XD shows to date. But hey, until TCW came along Cartoon Network hadn't really dabbled in 'mature' themes either so perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nonetheless Disney XD is essentially primarily and arguably heavily focused on the child audience, and your evidence to the contrary does not support a complete rejection of Warren's argument or a basis for believing that Disney won't 'sanitize' Star Wars.

Warren-Stride
05.23.2013 , 05:46 AM | #14
Except now we'd only have one Sith to deal with. I have no idea how the new show will go, and neither do you, so it's pointless to look for deeper darker meaning behind one sentence of info.

But do those shows have choking? Death? Slavery? Treachery? Torture? Romance? I'm not saying that the new show won't, but it seems to make sense to tone it down when it goes to the Disney channel.

I never thought that. Look at Pirates of the Caribbean. But take another look and you'll see it's NOT a kid's TV show. TCW played on Cartoon Network right before Adult Swim at 9pm EST, a safe time to schedule it as that's the transition between younger and adult programming. Disney channel does not have adult programming, it is all kid-oriented. Likewise, so too will be Star Wars: Rebels.

As I said, this is all just my speculation. Obviously if they wanted to tone down the violence they probably could have done that by rewriting parts of TCW script. But I'm sure it played a factor in Disney's decision.
~~ AiR ~~
What are you more afraid of?
A weapon that could destroy you?
Or a weapon that could turn you into a monster?

Beniboybling
05.23.2013 , 05:50 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Well that's just a blanket assumption. There's really no basis for that statement. Even though I loved TCW, Rebels v. Vader/Emperor/Stormtroopers is infinitely more appealing than Jedi/Clones v. Droids.
I think its more of an assumption to assume that people like the OT era more than the PT era. Yes its obvious that the OT films are more popular but that does not apply to the era itself but to the abilities of those producing it. I personally prefer PT over OT and find droids, jedi, etc. far more appealing because IMO its more diverse and therefore more engaging. I expect others would agree with me, and some would disagree. But I can't see Rebels being vastly more popular than TCW. Anyone who likes Star Wars enough to watch an animated series is going to watch one whatever the era. I'm not expecting a massive increase in viewers.
Quote:
If they wanted to get going on a new series though, then they'd need to get those people off of TCW and onto the new series.
Of course, but there's no rush. In fact I would have thought it would make more sense to let TCW run its course for 1 or 2 more seasons. That would have had the series finishing up around this time next year. And then we'd have Rebels premiering around the same time that Episode 7 is released. They'd capitalize on the hype and draw in more viewers, surely that would make more sense?
Quote:
That's absolutely not the case. TCW operated on a year to year basis with the Cartoon Network. They were not under any contract with the Cartoon Network for Season 6 and so Disney could have shown TCW on it's own channels if it wanted to do so.
Forgive me, I wasn't aware of that. Still, year to year basis - wouldn't that mean that Season 6 would be released on CN? Perhaps not the whole thing, but a sizable portion.

Beniboybling
05.23.2013 , 05:53 AM | #16
I never thought that. Look at Pirates of the Caribbean. But take another look and you'll see it's NOT a kid's TV show. TCW played on Cartoon Network right before Adult Swim at 9pm EST, a safe time to schedule it as that's the transition between younger and adult programming. Disney channel does not have adult programming, it is all kid-oriented. Likewise, so too will be Star Wars: Rebels.

As I said, this is all just my speculation. Obviously if they wanted to tone down the violence they probably could have done that by rewriting parts of TCW script. But I'm sure it played a factor in Disney's decision.
Forgot about adult swim which has reminded me that CN is a lot more open to more mature themes than Disney channels - so I can't help but agree with you that the mature themes in TCW would have been quite out of place on Disney XD. Doesn't bode well for the future...

bionamaster
05.23.2013 , 01:08 PM | #17
Well, I'll say one thing: If Rebels turns out to be bad, I give up on TV.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

tunewalker
05.23.2013 , 02:07 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Forgot about adult swim which has reminded me that CN is a lot more open to more mature themes than Disney channels - so I can't help but agree with you that the mature themes in TCW would have been quite out of place on Disney XD. Doesn't bode well for the future...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic I don't know but I think Disney can do more mature shows if they want.

Beniboybling
05.23.2013 , 03:17 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic I don't know but I think Disney can do more mature shows if they want.
Well I can't really judge but it doesn't seem to be anymore 'mature' than the various Marvel cartoons floating about these days.

Nonetheless I can't judge, but that was back in the 90s. Given that there is nothing similar on today you could say that Disney have evolved.

Noblis
05.24.2013 , 01:16 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Disney didn't want to share with CN.
This is the closest answer.

Cartoon Network is Time Warner
Disney is Disney–ABC

Once there is the new owner of a company "all bets are off." New contracts for distribution.
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !