Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Star Wars: Rebels Has Begun Production

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Star Wars: Rebels Has Begun Production

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
05.25.2013 , 05:06 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Ruined her story? I assume your referring to the retcons which made her a Dathomirian nightsister instead of a Rattataki. But if that alone was upholding the quality of her story then, well, her story was never that good to begin with.

Really, before TCW came along Ventress was just another character in the EU. Now she's a major Star Wars figure with an extensive backstory, a voice, an incredibly dynamic personality and a large fanbase. I'd say that's an improvement.
Oh? And you think completely wrecking the story of a character like Bariss Onfree is a good idea? I mean there is retconning like they did with ventress...then there's the utter dump on what they did to Bariss.

To Quote TreeBeard in The Towers "There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery"
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
05.25.2013 , 05:33 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Oh? And you think completely wrecking the story of a character like Bariss Onfree is a good idea? I mean there is retconning like they did with ventress...then there's the utter dump on what they did to Bariss.

To Quote TreeBeard in The Towers "There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery"
I never made any mention of Bariss so I'm not sure what that's got to do with it.

But anyways, I think I'd shown support of acceptance for Offee's retcon before so I may as well defend my position. In a nutshell I feel this change in Bariss' character ultimately makes her more dynamic and more important. Before she was just that pious Jedi good girl who died with all the rest in Order 66. Now she has a real, dynamic and memorable story.

Nor would I refer to it as a retcon. TCW pretty much potrayed Bariss in her original persona in the series, so they took that into account with the finale. Basically Bariss was twisted by the dark side and pushed by her complete devotion to the Jedi Code to act in that way. I see her as something of an Atris, a zealot.

Let's remember that the dark side can completely change a person's personality. Just look at the transition from Anakin to Vader or almost any Jedi turned dark for that matter.

P.S. Even if I was against this, I'd accept it anyway just for her awesome fighting style. Pumped on elegance is the are the only words for it .

YoshiRaphElan's Avatar


YoshiRaphElan
05.25.2013 , 08:38 PM | #83
The only real problem I had with Barriss' dark side conversion is the line where she says "I think the color suits me." Other than that her character fit the reversion practically perfectly. But the "color suits me" line made her sound a little...I don't know...crazy, and evil? She was supposed to be an unknowingly-fallen Jedi, not a would-be Sith.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
05.25.2013 , 08:52 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I never made any mention of Bariss so I'm not sure what that's got to do with it.

But anyways, I think I'd shown support of acceptance for Offee's retcon before so I may as well defend my position. In a nutshell I feel this change in Bariss' character ultimately makes her more dynamic and more important. Before she was just that pious Jedi good girl who died with all the rest in Order 66. Now she has a real, dynamic and memorable story.

Nor would I refer to it as a retcon. TCW pretty much potrayed Bariss in her original persona in the series, so they took that into account with the finale. Basically Bariss was twisted by the dark side and pushed by her complete devotion to the Jedi Code to act in that way. I see her as something of an Atris, a zealot.

Let's remember that the dark side can completely change a person's personality. Just look at the transition from Anakin to Vader or almost any Jedi turned dark for that matter.

P.S. Even if I was against this, I'd accept it anyway just for her awesome fighting style. Pumped on elegance is the are the only words for it .
Well they also screwed up another thing. Bariss was as old as Anakin. In this they made her Ashoka's age. didn't like that either.

Either way, she was a kind hearted healer, and then suddenly she's a Zealot. no. just no. Plus she goes from a serious practicioner of Soresu to suddenly Jar'kai? Really?
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Noblis's Avatar


Noblis
05.26.2013 , 01:18 AM | #85
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Nothing more, nothing less.
Bariss.
In storytelling, to make a betrayal interesting, the betrayer must be someone close. Besides Anakin, Bariss
was the closest friend to Ahsoka. I said friend. And, in keeping with memorable storytelling betrayals, the
bad guy is the person you least expect. There was nothing more to it.
At least she wasn't killed off. I don't see the Bariss affair as a retcon of her character. She was mostly only
know within TCW.
To me, Asajj Ventress is Rattataki. If they make her Dathomirian to open up more story, that's a retcon.
So what? I live with it. In any case, Asajj Ventress already was a more interesting character. Maybe there
will be more of her.

Spoiler
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
05.26.2013 , 02:42 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Either way, she was a kind hearted healer, and then suddenly she's a Zealot. no. just no. Plus she goes from a serious practicioner of Soresu to suddenly Jar'kai? Really?
Sith happens.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
05.26.2013 , 05:01 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Ruined her story? I assume your referring to the retcons which made her a Dathomirian nightsister instead of a Rattataki. But if that alone was upholding the quality of her story then, well, her story was never that good to begin with.

Really, before TCW came along Ventress was just another character in the EU. Now she's a major Star Wars figure with an extensive backstory, a voice, an incredibly dynamic personality and a large fanbase. I'd say that's an improvement.
You must have missed her in CW and multiple comic series, including one just about her then. Never hear of anyone refer to her as just "another character."

The addition of other characters getting screwed up and / or getting killed before their correct times is something I hope that never happens in Rebels.

If anything I'm hoping for almost completely new characters, or just those in the background who you never hear of in the OT so that if anything happens, it won't mess with the timelines again.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
05.26.2013 , 05:18 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
You must have missed her in CW and multiple comic series, including one just about her then. Never hear of anyone refer to her as just "another character."

The addition of other characters getting screwed up and / or getting killed before their correct times is something I hope that never happens in Rebels.

If anything I'm hoping for almost completely new characters, or just those in the background who you never hear of in the OT so that if anything happens, it won't mess with the timelines again.
Well yeah that was my point. Before TCW she was a relatively unknown character from the EU and TCW made her a major figure. I'd also be interested to here what your reasoning is behind saying the TCW ruined Ventress...

I think Rebels will be good in the sense that it will draw from the EU, and those pilots who make brief appearances in the movies and make them as well-known and as popular as Ventress has come to be.

Nonetheless I don't think TCW 'screwed up' any characters. If making a few tweaks and minor retcons can do that then heck they were never good characters in the first place.

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
05.26.2013 , 06:19 PM | #89
I would bet that an older Ahsoka plays a major role in this. Considering that she left the order, she most likely survived order 66.

If they retcon stuff as well as they did Anakin in TCW, I'm all for it. Anakin in TCW was actually believable compared to mess of the PT. I hope they make Vader really well as a self-hating and bitter man who kills Imperial soldiers every chance he gets for no other reason than to kill them.

Haven't read the entire thread so sorry for butting in like this just to pitch in with my own thoughts. Carry on folks.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
05.26.2013 , 06:24 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
I would bet that an older Ahsoka plays a major role in this. Considering that she left the order, she most likely survived order 66.
Doesn't change a thing, doesn't matter if she left the Order or not she would still be hunted down just like the rest. An example of this being Kento Marek, left the Order and was still hunted down afterwards. It doesn't make sense to let Jedi walk away alive, just because they left the Order...they are still Jedi.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.