Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Petition] Buying individual pieces via Collections Menu

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Petition] Buying individual pieces via Collections Menu
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

arunav
07.07.2013 , 02:56 AM | #391
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyMcGee View Post
So maybe someone else has pointed this out in the last 39 pages, but...

It's called Collections. So requiring you to collect the whole set doesn't seem wildly inappropriate. I've enjoyed finding that one rare piece of a set to unlock it.
You do realize your name is CrazyMcGee?

Altheran
07.07.2013 , 05:42 AM | #392
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
It increased the amount of data storage per character considerably, it increased login times to handle versioning up your character, and it also quintupled the number of things in the collections GUI, making that GUI an unreadable mess. The team working on this feature looked at these problems and decided that the best possible solution to these issues was to consolidate these items into sets.
Okay it would mean more coding, because in order to keep it elegant you would need a sub-menu showing all pieces to pop-up before accessing to the "buy" menu wich will grant only one piece.

But increasing the data storing ? seriously ? Since the system has to look if you have all the pieces of the sets, he is looking for the same data that a piece-per-piece system need. The SAME.
Let's say that one set have five pieces which IDs are from 10001 to 10005. In order to keep track that you have the whole set, you need to have a file that will be store data like this :
Code:
{10001}=1
{10002}=0
{10003}=1
{10004}=0
{10005}=1
The set will be unlocked if the five values are 1.

But you don't need more for a piece-per-piece system. Instead for looking if all are "1", it will just look for each entry if it's "1". But in all cases you need a file that will keep track of all pieces. The only thing you need is an adapted menu/UI, not character data storage.

WillCaedes
07.07.2013 , 06:41 AM | #393
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyMcGee View Post
So maybe someone else has pointed this out in the last 39 pages, but...

It's called Collections. So requiring you to collect the whole set doesn't seem wildly inappropriate. I've enjoyed finding that one rare piece of a set to unlock it.
Cool story, whats preventing it from tracking the progress of one set on my account, on the same server, on different characters on said same server? Code limitations? Bad engine? Poor performance?

rkjunior
07.07.2013 , 10:09 AM | #394
Maybe this has already been said in 39 pages but you guys are idiots. The collections function is in place for items that you equip and are BOUND to you. If you bought something with CC, then sold it on the GTN, why should you also be allowed to get a free unlock of that item? You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You either equip it, bind it, and allow yourself to add it to your "collections" or you sell it for profit on the GTN -- you can't have both.

Uncannyachilles
07.29.2013 , 09:23 PM | #395
/signed
very frustrated

Ghost_Spectre
07.29.2013 , 10:51 PM | #396
Quote: Originally Posted by WillCaedes View Post
The sheer amount of shock and anger I feel for Bioware right now.

Your telling me I need a full set of whatever items I already own to unlock it via collections? ***?
That's what Customer Service told me I had to do even though I own Revan's Mask on one of my toons. I could not unlock it and have a copy for a toon who has all of Revan's gear save the mask. They told me I had to have ALL pieces to unlock the entire set, not the individual pieces.

I've lost all faith in BioWare.

Ghost_Spectre
07.29.2013 , 11:04 PM | #397
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
Hey, guys, let me give a little background on this decision and how it came to be.

During development of the Collections system, a couple of problems became apparent in terms of how things are architected on the back end of SWTOR. The short form is that making all items in a collection separate items had a lot of nasty side effects. It increased the amount of data storage per character considerably, it increased login times to handle versioning up your character, and it also quintupled the number of things in the collections GUI, making that GUI an unreadable mess. The team working on this feature looked at these problems and decided that the best possible solution to these issues was to consolidate these items into sets.

So, yeah, that's on the design team. I swear, not because we're evil jerk designers, we just kinda failed to fully realize how the feature would end up playing out . We now have a better grasp of the ramifications of this decision, and we're aware of the unhappiness it caused.

We're also aware that using Revan's Mask as an example was a pretty poor call on our part.

We're in the process of evaluating other options that would allow us to give players the functionality that they want, while at the same time address the very real technical and GUI concerns that we faced with our initial architecture of the system. Unfortunately, no option that we come up with is likely to be doable very quickly -- on top of solving the technical problems, we also need to now deal with ensuring anyone who purchases the collected items with the current system end up being correctly credited if we convert something over. As such, I have no ETA for when we will address this.
So in other words, you lied to us and used illegal bait and switch tactics. I'll be sure to contact the BBB on your business practices concerning the cartel market.

JattaGin
07.30.2013 , 03:35 AM | #398
Quote: Originally Posted by rkjunior View Post
Maybe this has already been said in 39 pages but you guys are idiots. The collections function is in place for items that you equip and are BOUND to you. If you bought something with CC, then sold it on the GTN, why should you also be allowed to get a free unlock of that item? You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You either equip it, bind it, and allow yourself to add it to your "collections" or you sell it for profit on the GTN -- you can't have both.
Funny that you, who obviously did NOT read anything from the OP or the topic at all, replies with something quite unrelated and calls others idiots. Why don't you go back to page 1 and actually read what is the problem? No one complained about having to bind an item. The problem is having to bind a complete set in order to get it into collections instead of having every piece put there individually. D'oh.

CrazyMcGee
07.30.2013 , 03:43 AM | #399
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post
You do realize your name is CrazyMcGee?
Lol, for a very good reason....

Revanchis
09.07.2013 , 02:56 PM | #400
All they really need to do is add Revan's mask as a seperate item in the collection. It's an item that means a lot to fans, just this one single item.