Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What are subs spending their Cartel coins on?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What are subs spending their Cartel coins on?

Glowrod
05.13.2013 , 01:25 PM | #11
1) Ship GTN (Account)
2) Ship Training Dummies (Account) (for decoration)
3) Ship vendor (Account)
4) Max bag space (Account)
5) One extra cargo bay (Account)
6) Each of my new toons gets a Cartel Armor set
7) Each of my toons gets speeder piloting at level 10 via Cartel Coins, to save me having to drop gold for it.
8) I bought one cartel pack, enough to realize it was a total complete waste of money.
9) I bought one speeder, but realized too late that it was a total waste of CC.

VIP Lounge Member

discbox
05.13.2013 , 01:28 PM | #12
Right now I did spend 0 Cartel Coins.

Because BioWare is forcing me I will spend some on cosmetic changes when it is possible.

I collected them for future unlocks, when I go F2P, when the game is going to bore me...

MaximilianPower
05.13.2013 , 01:30 PM | #13
Legacy unlocks, stuff like the rocket boots & the priority transport/personal starship upgrades. Plus character-specific unlocks, like the perk required for the latter upgrades to work on each toon.

Field repair droid, ship upgrades, cargo upgrades, and so on.

None of it is necessary, but it does add up. I've only been subbing since December, just a couple of those months with the security key active, so I've probably acquired around 3000 CCs total (including some from achievements). Having purchased solely unlocks like those mentioned above (and absolutely nothing from the CM), I'm down to 760 CCs, and there are still a few more unlocks I want to buy.

LordArtemis
05.13.2013 , 01:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I purchased almost all of these on the GTN. The only times I spent coins was when what I wanted was not on the GTN or it was over-priced.

I'm still sitting on close to 4500 coins.. and that's with playing a lot of alts.

You know why I save coins whenever possible? Because playing LoTRO taught me that excellent things (like a new race unlock) come along from time to time in the game shop.. and so I save for when that happens. Plus, I do not want to purchase coins unless I absolutely have to.. and so far I'm not even close to being near that trigger point.
I wanted to ask you Andryah, being a LotRO player, how do you feel about the in game coin earning system, and do you think it should be done in some way here?

TUXs
05.13.2013 , 01:46 PM | #15
What does it matter what people spent their coins on? Are you going to use what I spent mine on as a justification to charge me to change my hair color? If so, that's foolish. I'm mostly fine with the Cartel Market as it is - customization is a different beast though. Player/toon customization is a game within the game and should not have been something they charged RL $ for imo.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Sniper-Agent
05.13.2013 , 01:53 PM | #16
This month I spent all of mine on other people, either legacy name unlocks or weekly passes and what-not.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aziran View Post
OP. Look at this cup of f**ks \_/ <---- You may notice, it is sadly empty.

Suromir
05.13.2013 , 02:18 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
legacy unlocks, cartel packs, cartel armors, cartel crystals, all of those little fun things in a story that we THOUGHT we could spend our coins on, but apparently we were supposed to be saving them up instead >_>
and you still can use in game coins..look on the GTN. You can get almost everything sold in the CM without spending a dime

Odlus
05.13.2013 , 02:20 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Let's compare to City of Heroes for a moment...

CoX was developed and run by a company with far shallower pockets than EA/Lucasfilm. It had a much smaller subscriber base. It released far more content additions for FREE in a similar time frame than TOR has offered for extra cost.

Business has to spend money to make money. EA has just decided that business has to spend your money to make more of your money.
Yes, and despite CoH's rapid output of content (which, I'll add, included rapid output of paid content such as powersets, costumes, paid zones, and paid mission arcs) NCSoft still shut down the game because it wasn't profitable enough to justify the resources being put into it. So I don't think that comparison works as well as you're hoping it would

CosmicKat
05.13.2013 , 02:26 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Odlus View Post
Yes, and despite CoH's rapid output of content (which, I'll add, included rapid output of paid content such as powersets, costumes, paid zones, and paid mission arcs) NCSoft still shut down the game because it wasn't profitable enough to justify the resources being put into it. So I don't think that comparison works as well as you're hoping it would
Not true at all. The only "paid content" in CoX, up till their switch to F2P was the City of Villains expansion, which was comparable in size to most MMO's by themselves. It was also later given free to any subscriber.

It ran for 9 years, TOR has a long climb ahead of it to reach that.

Jeweledleah
05.13.2013 , 02:32 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Suromir View Post
and you still can use in game coins..look on the GTN. You can get almost everything sold in the CM without spending a dime
none of the unlocks I mentioned (granted in my next reply, rather than original post, but nonetheless) are sold on cartel market and therefore GTN - they are purchasable through legacy window only. they also cost millions to unlock if you use in game coins. not everyone has those millions. also - cartel coin unlocks that ARE sellable on GTN, often cost - again millions. the only exception that I found were inventory space unlocks, cargo hold unlocks and extra character slots - which are amusingly enough cheaper to buy with in game currency, rather than cartel coins (OR rather than buying with credits directly - case in point last inventory slot - that I was able to buy for 60k credits, which is considerably cheaper then buying one through inventory interface)

the point I was making is - coins that subscribers were given as "gift", had plenty of uses for subscribers prior to patch 2.1, contrary to implication in the OP.