Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What are subs spending their Cartel coins on?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What are subs spending their Cartel coins on?

JimG
05.13.2013 , 12:53 PM | #1
There seem to be some people who think it's a great travesty that subs have to pay for any cosmetic feature in this game. Leaving aside the fact that there probably wouldn't be a game to even play without the revenue from the Cartel Market, I'm curious what happened to the monthly Cartel Coin grants for these subs who are so anti-Cartel Market?

I counted up my free Cartel Coins just to see how many I would have accumulated if I hadn't spent them. The total is 6,800 coins: 2000 coins when F2P launched (1750 from past subbing, 250 from one-time F2P launch reward); 3,600 coins from monthly sub grant (600 per month for 6 month sub); 600 coins from security key monthly grants; and 600 coins from the achievement system. I realize some people's totals would vary if they haven't played the game as long, have a shorter sub period, don't use the physical key, haven't hit the achievements which grant coins, etc. However, let's just assume someone has even half of those coins....heck, even less than half - 3,000. How can people not afford an account-wide Cathar unlock (600 coins), or a hairstyle change or a few armor dye modules? If the Cathar unlock is 600 coins, can't see a character change or two or a dye module costing that much in comparison.

So for the anti-Cartel Market subs, where did you all your coins go? How can you not afford 1,000 or 2,000 coins from the free coins given out to subs? Did you blow them all on packs?

Jeweledleah
05.13.2013 , 12:56 PM | #2
legacy unlocks, cartel packs, cartel armors, cartel crystals, all of those little fun things in a story that we THOUGHT we could spend our coins on, but apparently we were supposed to be saving them up instead >_>

AlaricSevGirl
05.13.2013 , 01:01 PM | #3
Oh you want to know what I did with mine, packs and Cartel Armor.
Lauren-Cordis, Ebon Hawk server, Galactic Security Solutions (Republic) and Ashan-arani, The Imperial Black Court (Empire).

Andryah
05.13.2013 , 01:02 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
legacy unlocks, cartel packs, cartel armors, cartel crystals, all of those little fun things in a story that we THOUGHT we could spend our coins on, but apparently we were supposed to be saving them up instead >_>
I purchased almost all of these on the GTN. The only times I spent coins was when what I wanted was not on the GTN or it was over-priced.

I'm still sitting on close to 4500 coins.. and that's with playing a lot of alts.

You know why I save coins whenever possible? Because playing LoTRO taught me that excellent things (like a new race unlock) come along from time to time in the game shop.. and so I save for when that happens. Plus, I do not want to purchase coins unless I absolutely have to.. and so far I'm not even close to being near that trigger point.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

tanerb
05.13.2013 , 01:06 PM | #5
mostly legacy unlocks. I bought only 1 pack to give it a try and could sell the contents only for 10k at GTN. It was that bad.

keysmachine
05.13.2013 , 01:07 PM | #6
when 2.1 hits my female jedi is getting one of the new long hair styles. i think it will fit well with some of the orange gear i have.

also insta travel tickets and more Resurrection droids are always handy

also inventory space both on character and in my cargo hold. i usually wait till my stipend i never buy coins though.

Jeweledleah
05.13.2013 , 01:10 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I purchased almost all of these on the GTN. The only times I spent coins was when what I wanted was not on the GTN or it was over-priced.

I'm still sitting on close to 4500 coins.. and that's with playing a lot of alts.
I didn't know you could buy things like HK for alts, rocket boosts, starship GTN, mailbox and vendor droid etc on GTN, and buying them directly through legacy with credits is pricey for those of us who are neither GTN, nor diligent daily mavens.

before you tell me "its your own responsibility" yes, it was my choice to use cartel coins, however at the time, I wasn't told that cartel coin grants that subscribers are given, have such specific strings attached. I was under impression that they are given for us as gift and an alternative, up until 2.1 I wasn't aware that I would actually need them for significant game features.
I'll be aware of that in a future and budget coins accordingly, I'm just annoyed at this turnabout. though I do realize the purpose of it. I'm pretty sure that bioware is perfectly aware that most people WERE spending their cartel coins on fluffy stuff on cartel market instead of hoarding them and this is not so subtle encouragement for people to buy coins in addition to their monthly grant.

Darth_Moonshadow
05.13.2013 , 01:11 PM | #8
I spent it on myself, duh. Just like everyone else.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

DarthTHC
05.13.2013 , 01:18 PM | #9
Same thread, different title?

For the most part, I don't spend mine. I unlocked a species. I think I might have unlocked an account-wide perk. That's about it.

I still have well over 5k.

But my personal point of disappointment over this is that, as a percentage of the whole game, my subscription buys me less and less with each patch/release.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

CosmicKat
05.13.2013 , 01:20 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
There seem to be some people who think it's a great travesty that subs have to pay for any cosmetic feature in this game. Leaving aside the fact that there probably wouldn't be a game to even play without the revenue from the Cartel Market, I'm curious what happened to the monthly Cartel Coin grants for these subs who are so anti-Cartel Market?

So for the anti-Cartel Market subs, where did you all your coins go? How can you not afford 1,000 or 2,000 coins from the free coins given out to subs? Did you blow them all on packs?
Let's compare to City of Heroes for a moment...

CoX was developed and run by a company with far shallower pockets than EA/Lucasfilm. It had a much smaller subscriber base. It released far more content additions for FREE in a similar time frame than TOR has offered for extra cost.

Business has to spend money to make money. EA has just decided that business has to spend your money to make more of your money.