Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Name Purge with Folks not Playing Anymore

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Name Purge with Folks not Playing Anymore

goldhtown
05.13.2013 , 11:06 AM | #1
I think it's great that we're finally seeing free character name changes in the upcoming patch, however, many names are sitting in limbo or "squatted" by people no longer playing for months now.

Bioware, i would really hope you'd begin some sort of process to whittle out names from people not playing the game anymore. I know you want them back, and might be afraid they'll say, "forget this, i'm done since they took my name", but you guys could easily deal with satisfying both concerns like other games in the past have done.

Simply send out an email reminding people who haven't been playing for like 60 days or more how awesome the game is, and that if they don't log into their account to confirm they want it still, they'll lose their current character names and have to reset them if they ever return. DONE, SIMPLE.

Not only does it clear out names for those who actually DO want to keep playing the game, but it's a firm nudge to people sitting out playing that maybe they should come back.

If you agree with this approach, your post would be appreciated to give attention to this concern.
INFERNAL HARVEST, Jung Ma server
www.infernalharvest.com
Timmothy "Timm" Marek - Juggernaut Tank
Guild Leader

Andryah
05.13.2013 , 11:09 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by goldhtown View Post
If you agree with this approach, your post would be appreciated to give attention to this concern.
I do not agree. People can be gone from the game for a lot of reasons (like military duty as one relevant example). People can be out of touch with the email address their account is tied to. Wiping character names so you can perhaps maybe possibly get your favorite name is inappropriate and selfish.

There is plenty of flexibility in naming in this game, so there are still plenty of names. It would be nice if it was as flexible as GW2, but it's not.. so we have what we have. Work with it IMO.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive, - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

uziforyou
05.13.2013 , 11:11 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I do not agree. People can be gone from the game for a lot of reasons (like military duty as one relevant example). People can be out of touch with the email address their account is tied to. Wiping character names so you can perhaps maybe possibly get your favorite name is inappropriate and selfish.

There is plenty of flexibility in naming in this game, so there are still plenty of names. It would be nice if it was as flexible as GW2, but it's not.. so we have what we have. Work with it IMO.
Word.
"When you're bleeding out in a ditch on some muckball planet it's not headquarters that comes to save you, it's the guy next to you."

Heezdedjim
05.13.2013 , 11:12 AM | #4
When it was an all sub game, I would have assumed that characters on cancelled accounts would get deleted within a couple months of cancellation, thus freeing up any character and legacy names they occupied. F2P complicates that since you can't really decide when people have "canceled" a game they're not paying for in the first instance.

So I am curious, is there an event horizon for F2P accounts, where the characters all get deleted if there have been no logins on that account for X amount of time? And if so, how many days or months is X?

TheSeventhJedi
05.13.2013 , 11:13 AM | #5
I agree. Sure, people can be gone for legit reasons. You know what though? I wasn't gone, at all, and had a forced name change anyway. On all eight toons. Even getting one of those names back would be nice.
Click for free things, please:

http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

(It's a referral link - whether you're a new or returning member,
you'll get all sorts of goodies!)

Jimvinny
05.13.2013 , 11:25 AM | #6
It's funny, the only time I've had to change a name was when loading a toon onto the pts. Maybe you guys should pick more original names? Or learn to use special characters in the last few letter of the name.

Kilora
05.13.2013 , 11:36 AM | #7
I don't see a problem with it -- depending on what extent they were to implement it.

Forced re-names when your account has been inactive for over a year? Obviously, with a week warning or such, prior to doing it.

There are obviously edge-cases, hence the warning given to you via e-mail. If you're gone for more than a year, the chances of you coming back are slim-to-none. There isn't really a good solution -- but after THAT long of a time-frame?

Hell. I left for 6 months, came back and had to rename 99% of my toons. No warning to me. I have names I enjoy, but I understand the frustration others have.

Helig
05.13.2013 , 11:41 AM | #8
"The rights of your fist end on the surface of my nose."

Naming policies need to be changed. Character names should not be unique. Legacy names should. Communication should be on-Legacy basis, with "stealth/hidden" options for characters you want to hide on.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

chuixupu
05.13.2013 , 11:49 AM | #9
I don't think a complete wipe would be good, but I can say that in WoW, there is a certain period of time in which if someone has a completely inactive account, someone can take a name if they contact customer service. It's a long time, though.
I don't see EA putting the manpower in to work with people that individually, though.

And yes, this does occasionally piss people off when they come back after long periods of time.

But I feel like if there were bunch of names created on Day 1 of this game, and the characters are level 1 and haven't logged in since the first couple of weeks than the likely hood of them coming back and even remembering their names are slim.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Rafaman
05.13.2013 , 12:01 PM | #10
Hmm.... Given the current naming convention I don't see how a purge is possible. Names are a touchy business, and if peeps lost their names based on some predetermined criteria all sorts of issues may arise including misidentification and harassment. It seems to me BW would prefer to take one for the team as opposed to creating an atmosphere that could spark all sorts of name controversy between players.