Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR must be in Portuguese


Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 09:51 AM | #1
I mean, if they're doing in Spanish...

Plus, it would make sense to have Republic side characters speak with a Brazilian accent and the old school European Portuguese used for Empire side.

nshotsman's Avatar


nshotsman
05.13.2013 , 09:57 AM | #2
There hasn't been the slightest hint they have any intention of doing a Spanish translation. And this post is another example of why. Once they do a Spanish translation they will have people whining for a Portuguese translation, and then a Mandarin translation, where would it end. Not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever.
"It is when the world is darkest that we must see the light in others" ~ Satele Shan

Bonnzay's Avatar


Bonnzay
05.13.2013 , 09:58 AM | #3
i support u man, in spanish and portuguese, in any lenguaje that bring new players to the game

Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 09:59 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by nshotsman View Post
There hasn't been the slightest hint they have any intention of doing a Spanish translation. And this post is another example of why. Once they do a Spanish translation they will have people whining for a Portuguese translation, and then a Mandarin translation, where would it end. Not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever.
It will end once they determine translating the game to a certain language isn't cost-effective. It's all about the size of the market that's associated with each language. Spanish is a no-brainer. Portuguese may be, too.
But I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing a lot of people clamoring for an Afrikaans translation of SWTOR.

Seireeni's Avatar


Seireeni
05.13.2013 , 10:02 AM | #5
I think they should do a Finnish translation for this game. I mean, of course most of the Finnish people who are at least 16 years old can speak more or less english, but all those 10-year-old kids who lied their age now struggle understanding. It's so sad!
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Darth_Wicked's Avatar


Darth_Wicked
05.13.2013 , 10:10 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
I mean, if they're doing in Spanish...

Plus, it would make sense to have Republic side characters speak with a Brazilian accent and the old school European Portuguese used for Empire side.
I see what you did there.

EDIT:

Either way, I'm portuguese and I'm fine with the game as it is.

Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I think they should do a Finnish translation for this game. I mean, of course most of the Finnish people who are at least 16 years old can speak more or less english, but all those 10-year-old kids who lied their age now struggle understanding. It's so sad!
Is finnish even in the top 10, when it comes to one of the most talked languages in the world? At least be serious.
Click here for FREE goodies
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth Marr
My "vision" is of an Empire ready to fight across the battlefield of life. That is all I require.

nshotsman's Avatar


nshotsman
05.13.2013 , 10:12 AM | #7
I would argue that translating to Spanish isn't Cost-Effective which is exactly why they haven't done it yet. If you look at the economies of many of the Latin-American countries it would be hard to justify the investment because they probably don't see themselves gaining a significant number of PAID subscribers versus players staying free-2-play. I can't speak for a Portuguese or Finnish translations Cost-Effectiveness because I don't know the state of their respected economy.
"It is when the world is darkest that we must see the light in others" ~ Satele Shan

Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 10:12 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
I see what you did there.

EDIT:

Either way, I'm portuguese and I'm fine with the game as it is.
I'm Portuguese as well, am also fine with the way it is now, but recognize at the same time that not all of us have the luxury of being proficient in English.

Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 10:14 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by nshotsman View Post
I would argue that translating to Spanish isn't Cost-Effective which is exactly why they haven't done it yet. If you look at the economies of many of the Latin-American countries it would be hard to justify the investment because they probably don't see themselves gaining a significant number of PAID subscribers versus players staying free-2-play. I can't speak for a Portuguese or Finnish translations Cost-Effectiveness because I don't know the state of their respected economy.
There are 40+ million Spanish-speaking people in Spain alone.
Add Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguai, Chile and other numerous countries to the mix, and you've got a huge untapped market in your hands.

Same goes for Portuguese-speaking countries.

Darth_Wicked's Avatar


Darth_Wicked
05.13.2013 , 10:16 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
I'm Portuguese as well, am also fine with the way it is now, but recognize at the same time that not all of us have the luxury of being proficient in English.
Ora boas.

- - - -

Either way, I honestly doubt the payoff would be worth the investment, at least in the short term.
Click here for FREE goodies
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth Marr
My "vision" is of an Empire ready to fight across the battlefield of life. That is all I require.