Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are MMOs fulfilling their potential?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Are MMOs fulfilling their potential?

Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 11:25 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by XantosCledwin View Post
compounding the issue is that anyone genre savvy in tabletop RPG's while playing Star Wars the Old Republic can observe the almost blatant Railroading that goes on in almost every PC-NPC interraction.
I think common sense is enough to pick up on that fact.

Many folks point out how gargantuan a task it'd be for BioWare to add new classes into the game, what with the voice-work it would require, but they fail to see just how many lines of dialogue are repeated ad nauseam, ad infinitum by these same classes, and how often the subsequent NPC responses are predetermined to be static.

XantosCledwin
05.13.2013 , 11:30 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Vis-Tecum View Post
and his laws were crap and absolutely unrealistic, Asimov is just a pretentious fellow who thinks he is the end all and say all of sci-fi

we have forms of ai right now in the real world that is specifically designed to kill humans, and like you said sentient AI would not follow a installed program
false. We do not have fully self aware A.I.

We have software that performs pattern recognition performs massive amounts of calculation and spits out the answer that makes the most sense given what was input into it at the start of the computation. A truly sentient Artificial Intelligence capable of learning would require no input from human beings except for the initial programing of it's higher reasoning.

In otherwords you cannot compare Commander Data, the Terminators, The Data Thought Integration Entity, and any number of artificially sentient beings from sci fi to SMART BOMBS!!!!!
55 Mara / 14 Sniper / 2 Inq
41 Sin / 38 PTech / 31 Sage / 24 Vngrd / 11 Jugg
The Cledwin Legacy / The Shadowlands

Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 11:30 AM | #23
says you...

npcs respond differently to my conversation choices and those choices effect npc affection and actions

conversation interrupt is in the game as the [attack] option like I said just not done like ME and not the exact way you want it

again you complain to complain like its a addiction
I mean NPCs responding differently depending on, for instance, what your reputation level with a certain faction is, or on your light side/dark side alignment.

That's not an interrupt system, that's simply one of the choices available on the restricted thee-tiered conversation system that's available to us at the moment.

Vis-Tecum
05.13.2013 , 11:32 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
I mean NPCS responding differently depending on, for instance, what your reputation level with a certain faction is, or on your light side/dark side alignment.

That's not an interrupt system, that's simply one of the choices available on the restricted thee-tiered conversation system that's available to us at the moment.
again its there just not the way YOU want it so you complain some more
Just go riding right by me on the crest of the new wave

AlrikFassbauer
05.13.2013 , 11:34 AM | #25
and his laws were crap and absolutely unrealistic, Asimov is just a pretentious fellow who thinks he is the end all and say all of sci-fi
Was, was. He died years ago.

Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 11:35 AM | #26
again its there just not the way YOU want it so you complain some more
That's like saying we already have swoop-racing because there are speeders on offer. It's already there in the game, just not the way we want it.

And how am I complaining, exactly? I'm just inviting discourse, trying to see what players would like to see in the future of MMOs in general, and SWTOR specifically.

XantosCledwin
05.13.2013 , 11:37 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Was, was. He died years ago.
and might I add, he died in 1992. The concept of Artificial Intelligence when he actually created the 3 laws was virtually non-existent. The fact that he had the foresight to predict that a sentient artificial being would turn on human beings unless some extraordinary measure were taken is to be commended. Not to mention the guy practically self-invented the entire genre of robot fiction. You can't be a visionary of that proportion and be stupid.

As a regress, I am pretty sure that the Pod Racing game was licensed to another company. I could be wrong, but if I am not, adding a pod racing element to this game could be interpreted as patent infringement.
55 Mara / 14 Sniper / 2 Inq
41 Sin / 38 PTech / 31 Sage / 24 Vngrd / 11 Jugg
The Cledwin Legacy / The Shadowlands

Kilora
05.13.2013 , 11:40 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by XantosCledwin View Post
and might I add, he died in 1992. The concept of Artificial Intelligence when he actually created the 3 laws was virtually non-existent. The fact that he had the foresight to predict that a sentient artificial being would turn on human beings unless some extraordinary measure were taken is to be commended. Not to mention the guy practically self-invented the entire genre of robot fiction. You can't be a visionary of that proportion and be stupid.

As a regress, I am pretty sure that the Pod Racing game was licensed to another company. I could be wrong, but if I am not, adding a pod racing element to this game could be interpreted as patent infringement.

Just a thought -- I take it you don't know who Alan Turing is? If you did -- you'd slap yourself in the face after writing that first paragraph.

Vis-Tecum
05.13.2013 , 11:46 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
That's like saying we already have swoop-racing because there are speeders on offer. It's already there in the game, just not the way we want it.

And how am I complaining, exactly? I'm just inviting discourse, trying to see what players would like to see in the future of MMOs in general, and SWTOR specifically.
you complained mmos were not taking steps in these directions I pointed out swtor is exactly the kind of single player influenced mmo your talking about just in its beginning stage

the features are there the game is only a year old and has had some pretty pressing problems that were way more important than the features you gave as examples.

swtor was designed as a bioware game [just like DA and ME] but in a new genre. you cant have super awesome new innovative game at launch it will need to grow into a real bioware game but has taken longer due to it being a mmo and having to deal with mmo players demands first
Just go riding right by me on the crest of the new wave

Machine-Elf
05.13.2013 , 11:48 AM | #30
you complained mmos were not taking steps in these directions I pointed out swtor is exactly the kind of single player influenced mmo your talking about just in its beginning stage

the features are there the game is only a year old and has had some pretty pressing problems that were way more important than the features you gave as examples.

swtor was designed as a bioware game [just like DA and ME] but in a new genre. you cant have super awesome new innovative game at launch it will need to grow into a real bioware game but has taken longer due to it being a mmo and having to deal with mmo players demands first
Now you're talking.

I hope you're right, that it's just a matter of time before SWTOR does implement some of the feature we discussed, and that they just haven't do so yet by virtue of its infancy.