Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So much for full custization

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So much for full custization

Malastare
05.13.2013 , 12:44 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
Any reason why they can't stack the armor dyes?
Yes, for the same reasons I've tried to explain in my (admittedly very long) responses.

The textures in the game are not dynamically created. They are created by artists and packed into the game. The more combinations they allow, the more textures need to be created. In order to allow you to create any combination you like, they would need to create a new texture (or ensure one exists) for every possible combination any player might possibly come up with.

Andryah
05.13.2013 , 12:47 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Planar View Post
OK LISTEN, SIMPLE POINT TO MAKE HERE.

THEY CAN EXPAND on the system once it is in place, do you want to wait 3-4 more patches until they can FULLY implement it OR get some modifications now and more later??

People WHINED SO MUCH about the bugs in "Unify Color to Chest" in beta that they REMOVED it from the game for MONTHS after launch. I would rather they left it in and deal with some armor pieces just not acting right (some still don't) than have them remove it.

I mean seriously, I think BIOWARE could've given you a primary, secondary color set, 500 new hair styles, 17 new races, scalable body types, massive height modifiers and you people would complain about them not adding the ability to scale your feet, hands separately. WOW you people amaze me every freaking day at how much you DEMAND.
/Agree with Planar.
MMOs mimic real life in some ways. Take challenges for example.... you can either use intellect and overcome a challenge or not. In other words, you can make lemonade from lemons, or you can just suck on the lemon. Up to you.

Loc_n_lol
05.13.2013 , 01:20 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
The textures in the game are not dynamically created. They are created by artists and packed into the game.
I find that seriously hard to believe.
Why would they do something as clumsy and unoptimized, when there is evidence the hero engine can do texture tints, and they could already do it in DAO, in Mass Effect, and even as far back as Neverwinter Nights ???

Malastare
05.13.2013 , 02:01 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Loc_n_lol View Post
Do you have evidence for that? The match-to-chest behavior suggests that pre-cooked textures are being used: Note the number of items that match imperfectly to some hues, or those which customize to some color groups, but not others.

Why would they do something as clumsy and unoptimized, when there is evidence the hero engine can do texture tints, and they could already do it in DAO, in Mass Effect, and even as far back as Neverwinter Nights ???
Yes, the technique has been around for a long time. And many older games used it. Often its done via a process similar to (or perhaps exactly like) palette swapping. The problem with palette swapping (actually, something closer to tinting) is that the appearance of certain textures is not solely controlled through manipulating dark-light, saturated-white, so its very difficult to have palette swaps produce high quality textures. For example, in light, fabric like green velvet won't be a solid color. It will have varying levels of darkness, less saturated areas, and areas where the green color shifts hue to yellow or maybe something more bluish. Trying to simply replace the green component with blue won't work. The shades might look fine, but the saturation differences might be too much and the hue shifting might not work at all.

Usually, palette-swapped (or hue-tinted) textures tend to look more fake than more custom textures. Most games with high-definition textures do not use tinting to produce alternate colors. Neverwinter Nights is actually a decent example. From what I can tell, it probably did use palette-swapping/tinting, and the results looked good... for the time it was created.

And for the record, I'm strongly suspect that the "tints" you saw in Mass Effect were actually a collection of pre-cooked textures.

Of course, if someone can find some information that shows the textures in SWTOR are dynamically tinted, I'll happy concede the argument. However, "They did it in Neverwinter Nights" is not evidence.

Darvus
05.13.2013 , 07:49 PM | #25
LOL. Why, indeed. This was yet another example of poor planning by this team. And all the people going "at least they are giving us something..." are the same ones that have been making excuses for shortcomings, from the start. Something is NOT always better than nothing.
"The weak deserve their fate..."

Darvus Sinister
Minions of Darkness

SlimsPicken
05.13.2013 , 07:51 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Why do things simple when you can do them complicated? That's their philosophy.
precisely.

simple and elegant dont fly around here.

There needs to be lots of fractures to repair at all times.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

Darvus
05.13.2013 , 07:54 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Planar View Post
OK LISTEN, SIMPLE POINT TO MAKE HERE.

THEY CAN EXPAND on the system once it is in place, do you want to wait 3-4 more patches until they can FULLY implement it OR get some modifications now and more later??

People WHINED SO MUCH about the bugs in "Unify Color to Chest" in beta that they REMOVED it from the game for MONTHS after launch. I would rather they left it in and deal with some armor pieces just not acting right (some still don't) than have them remove it.

I mean seriously, I think BIOWARE could've given you a primary, secondary color set, 500 new hair styles, 17 new races, scalable body types, massive height modifiers and you people would complain about them not adding the ability to scale your feet, hands separately. WOW you people amaze me every freaking day at how much you DEMAND.
This is what I mean. The REAL issue is they have been half-assing stuff from the start with this game! Considering the money spent on development, and the years spent, this game should have been polished. To keep saying, "I would rather they leave the broke stuff in so we can use it," rather than hold it until it works, or taking it out to fix it is just ridiculous. This is not about people complaining about the scale of feet, this is about them giving the least that they can and some people acting like it's a miracle. Hold the dyes until you can give us a decent system.
"The weak deserve their fate..."

Darvus Sinister
Minions of Darkness

Ugolino
05.13.2013 , 08:22 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
Any reason why they can't stack the armor dyes??
$$$$$

NogueiraA
05.13.2013 , 10:07 PM | #29
I feel bad for the OP