Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there a secret housing project?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is there a secret housing project?

Arturioss
05.12.2013 , 02:33 PM | #1
Hello Bioware/EA and SW:TOR community,

after watching videos of other mmos presenting their housing features, I have realized once again, how much I miss it here! It looks really interesting in Wildstar or ArcheAge.

So my question is, are you feeling the same? It would be interesting to know if the dev team from SW:TOR has something to say about this.

Greetings

Andryah
05.12.2013 , 02:53 PM | #2
Ship in SWTOR = House in any other MMO.

You get one for free for every character if you simply complete the intitial class storyline.

Now, if you want to discuss when ship customization is coming.... you will get a lot of interest from the community here.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Shingara
05.12.2013 , 02:55 PM | #3
If im honest i wouldnt be shocked with all the stuff they are doing for quality of life. The wall of crazy hasnt been mentioned in a long time so they prob went look ea this is our plan for the future and ea went, meh what the hell fill your boots.

If they can think of something to charge us cc for they will prob do it.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Aumeer
05.12.2013 , 02:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Ship in SWTOR = House in any other MMO.

You get one for free for every character if you simply complete the intitial class storyline.

Now, if you want to discuss when ship customization is coming.... you will get a lot of interest from the community here.
Actually, I support the idea of player housing. I do not live in my ship.
Aumeer of Bloodfin

WRATH HQ|WRATH|WRATH Site

Jamus_Divinus
05.12.2013 , 03:05 PM | #5
I'd love an in-depth player housing system to rival that of many other MMO's around. I enjoy the game for what it is but player housing brings an extra dimension imo.

Some engaging non-combat activity to partake in when Operations/WZ's/FP's and dailies grow tiresome.

It could take many forms but 'instanced player housing' would be one I'd support fervently.
Star Wars Galaxies - Bria Server - April 2005- December 2011
200,000,000 Mounts:192/206 Pets:170/178
Achievement points:25630 Ships mastered: 19/24

Andryah
05.12.2013 , 03:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aumeer View Post
Actually, I support the idea of player housing. I do not live in my ship.
You don't live in a house in an MMO either. Unless you are playing a virtual MMO within a virtual MMO.. and have a virtual basement, with virtual pizza and virtual Mountain Dew.. etc. etc.

Player ships in SWTOR serve many of the exact same functions and have many of the same features as personal houses do in other MMOs. They are portable.. which is unique.. they have no yards... and cannot currently be customized for looks and appearance.. but you can already put things like mail boxes, GTN terminals, target dummies.. in them. You can even dress your obnoxious droid up as a bulter if you want.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Uldihaa
05.12.2013 , 03:50 PM | #7
Here we go again.

Instead of stating (again) why I think houses would cause more issues than they are worth to most players, I'm going to point something out about the player classes themselves.

Only the Sith Warrior and the Sith Inquisitor (and MAYBE the Imperial Agent) could be said to have the opportunity to have a house, conceptually speaking.

Jedi: They give up worldly goods, officially. They might live somewhere, but it'd be a communal thing at best. Even the knick-knacks they might pick up on the way would be subject to being given away in some fashion.

Smuggler: It's outright stated that their ship IS their home. They are wanderers, chasing the "horizon" (and credits). They might eventually settle down, but only after they retire. Maybe.

Trooper: I have to admit, I'm not sure about this one. I'd accept that it could be included with the Sith as something that might have a real home. Any Troopers, I'd appreciate your opinions.

Bounty Hunter: Same as the Smuggler, for pretty much the exact same reason.

Imperial Agent: Like I said, maybe. But since I get a distinct "Bond" vibe from the class, I suspect any 'homes' would be temporary at best.

Sith: Yes, I can see them with a stronghold of some kind, somewhere. Unlike the Jedi, personal possessions aren't frowned upon. It's also canonical, since there are Sith Lords with strongholds. You even break into a few

Overall, the player characters are pretty much on the move constantly. They might take breaks, but they don't "settle down". That's why Bioware considers the ship to be the player's 'house'. Would I like to be able to add decorations and furniture? Sure. Make letting friends aboard easier? Yes. Allow for those hologame tables to actually work as a minigame? Oh YES.

But an actual, separate house? More trouble than it's worth and it doesn't really fit the concepts used in the player characters.

EDIT: Also, in most other MMOs, there is one planet you live on. The only exception I can think of is SWG, and I believe most players would pick a "homeplanet" and stage to their adventures from there. That's not the case in SWTOR.

CaldaRaric
05.12.2013 , 04:19 PM | #8
@Uldihaa: I agree with everything you say. If they do anything about "player housing" they should just add customization to our ships. I would rather live in my ship anyway, then have a building I go to.

bionamaster
05.12.2013 , 04:31 PM | #9
I'd rather have decorations for my ship than a house on a planet.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

PanikSpreder
05.12.2013 , 04:50 PM | #10
1. Create a character - Lord Smash-A-Lot (a Sith Warrior going Dark Side)
2. Level from 1-50, going all Dark Side and being a ***** about everything.
3. ???
4. Water flowers and decorate the fireplace?

Just a joke, but with the ships already serving as a "home" I dont think it would mix very well with the current content or context for that matter. Give us more options with our ship, sure. My wishlish includes a revamp of the space-combat/ship before an actual house/apartment feature.