Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Do you remember City of Heroes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Do you remember City of Heroes?

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.11.2013 , 12:25 AM | #11
Do I remember CoH?! OMG! It was the best MMO! Almost 8 years playing...went to PAX to meet the devs, arrived in Seattle, only to be told the horrible news of it's closing!

I really thought I was being messed with!

Oh, it needed some improvements imo, but only in how the powers where done, other than that, to me, the game was perfect!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
05.11.2013 , 12:28 AM | #12
SithKoriandr

Fully agree with you

I tried all the other games after the close, heck I have life subs with startrek and champions online, yet I am here, it was the next best game to COH I could find ....

CrazyOldMystic's Avatar


CrazyOldMystic
05.11.2013 , 12:45 AM | #13
Ill give the devs a hard time when I feel they have something jacked up badly, but your full of it op. I was here at launch, swtor DID NOT HAVE HUNDREDS of servers lol. They had a Id say about six less then wow did on the us side, and had a bit more then wow did on the Europe end. Also the game suffered because they failed to deliver. Meaning nearly everything they put out in there trailers, and vids, was not in the game at launch. The problem being allot of people were looking forward to those items. The other major oops, not even sure they can correct it now, is space. Please lets not get into the space debate. You can debate it forever as much as you like but they lost a good bit of players over space in swtor.

Yes the game still has that lag issue, and I wish they would fix that, because that is a major issue in the game. They are also recognizing a earlier mistake, in not delivering what they were showing in their trailers. Example the Eradicators armor. A very nice piece of art work if you ask me. Dye kits are most defiantly a step in the right direction. I wont say everything is fine because its not. Example the vanguard is no where near a ranged tank, thats very bad joke. You have to be pretty much up top of the target to use almost all the key vanguard abilities. So to me its not a trooper shooting at range. They do seem to be trying to go the right direction. No mmo on this planet comes out swinging at 100 percent. This includes wow. I came in about 6 to 7 months before burning crusade, but the guys that were there at launch. Could name a whole slew of problems the game had at launch.

The difference between now and then is simple money. Name one company aside from Microsoft that is not suffering in the area of loss of money. No I am not saying swtor will die but It may take them longer to squash lag issues then it would back when wow first launched. Also this game has more complex graphics which only adds to the problem.

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
05.11.2013 , 12:47 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
SithKoriandr

Fully agree with you

I tried all the other games after the close, heck I have life subs with startrek and champions online, yet I am here, it was the next best game to COH I could find ....
I was already playing both at the time, there are different things I think each game did better than the other.
But now there's only SWTOR left... and I miss the creativity from CoH - even though TOR's been getting better with the customizations it'll never be CoH in that regard.
Though 2.1 brings it closer to it, and all the news about it has had me cheering - this is definitely one of my most anticipated updates to the game so far.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Zalekanzer's Avatar


Zalekanzer
05.11.2013 , 01:31 AM | #15
There were so, so many things I absolutely adored about CoX. From the 8-man, bring whoever you want teams (8 blasters? Watch spawns implode on sight. 8 defenders? Watch spawns melt to all the buffed up, debuff spewing "healers". 8 masterminds? Haha, it's like having 4 teams! ...I could seriously list how awesome each type of team makeup is, but I'll stop here.) to the incredible ease of playing with people at any time, at any level (you're 50, but your friends just made new characters? Doesn't matter! Join as a team and exemplar down to their level, or sidekick them to your level!).

I will never purchase another NCSoft title again, f**k that company.
<The Harbinger> Anzer Katzin Requiel Zevka Katzera

HelinCarnate's Avatar


HelinCarnate
05.11.2013 , 01:39 AM | #16
I do remember.
I remember 8 man being a full team, not 4.
I remember quests (missions in their case) auto adjusting difficulty based on how many people were in the team, not set for only 1, 2 or 4.
I remember that there was no holy trinity. While there were classes that could tank and others that did dps and others that could heal, none of them were required except for maybe the most difficult content of the game. So if you had 5 people and 2 more wanted to join, it would not matter what class they were.
I remember there was never a fight over loot because you didn't have to roll for anything. It was just given to you and the "gear" was modifications that you used to enhance your powers, not your clothes.
I remember they managed to keep adding more and more content without adding levels.
I remember they had powers that would allow you to teleport your team to where you were.

I had very few issues with that game and SWTOR can take note of what worked. For some things they already have. Some of the new missions adjust based on party size. Just need to get rid of the trinity allow for larger party sizes. Not an easy task as it would require a huge rework of all FPs. Had a great time playing it and met the person that introduced my to my future wife there.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

Applicator's Avatar


Applicator
05.11.2013 , 02:03 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MsKaos View Post
I started playing CoH about 4yrs ago and subbed to it on and off every couple of months to see how the game was evolving. It was the game I played when I took a break from WoW. In it's last year, the game was doing alot better. At least, that's what it seemed like. But, with the lack of enthusiasm from Ncsoft (I do not honestly remember a single commercial for it) and claiming that CoH just wasn't in the program for the direction the company wanted to go, they canned it. They had planned that for a while but was seeing how much money they could make off of it before they did. They kept adding more and more stuff to the Cash Shop in that time. So, what does that have to do with Swtor?

Seems now all the new patches are not really patches as in fixes to the game. But, more of addons to the Cartel Market. Seems like the more crap they put into the Cartel Market the more bugs and stability issues arise. I brought up CoH because this is exactly where it looks like the game is headed. But, then again, Star Trek online is still active. So, I guess that there are enough Swtor fans to keep this game alive. (Still reeks of desperation if you ask me)

Vista. Remember that Nightmare? Don't care what any of you say, but Win 7 is just a stripped down modified Vista OS. Period. They came out with Win 7 cause they wanted us, the consumer, to pay for their screw up. Remember the first months of Swtor? They had nearly a hundred servers and the servers were almost always full. Now what do they have? A quarter of that if that. So, now we have to sub and pay for new game mechanics that comes standard with most other MMOs? I think, with all the f2p games out there, I'm going to have to call this my last game time sub. Maybe WoW , Eq2, DnD , LOTRO, Rift, may not be Swtor, but at least I don't have to worry about them going anywhere anytime soon or deal wtih the many stability issues and bugs that plagues SWTOR and shows that EA and Bioware are way out of their league.

I like SWTOR, I just don't like who's lap it got dumped into and how they are handling the game. Before I leave, I am on The Shadowlands server, I will liquidate all my acquired items and hand out the credits and maybe make a item or two for someone.

Good luck to the community that is staying hopeful that the game will get better. But, I doubt that. It is after all EA and it's not in the game.

May the force bring you many days of adventure in SWTOR and out.
2.1 is not a replacement for a content patch. Stop getting all pissed off because they are adding customisation that a lot of people have requested. 2.2 isn't far away and 2.0 only came out a few weeks ago anyway.

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
05.11.2013 , 02:08 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Zalekanzer View Post
I will never purchase another NCSoft title again, f**k that company.
Yep, that's my sentiment too.
Hope they've enjoyed my GW2 pre-purchase, because that's the last they've seen of me.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
05.11.2013 , 02:42 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
Yep, that's my sentiment too.
Hope they've enjoyed my GW2 pre-purchase, because that's the last they've seen of me.
I share the same feeling about EA. Not because of TOR, it has numerous failings and is way less of a game than I expected, but it works.

SimCity is what killed EA for me. Over 2 months old and it's essentially unplayable still. For those who think TOR is terrible, SimCity was sooooo bad that they literally had to give everyone who bought it a free game as compensation.

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
05.11.2013 , 02:48 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
I share the same feeling about EA. Not because of TOR, it has numerous failings and is way less of a game than I expected, but it works.

SimCity is what killed EA for me. Over 2 months old and it's essentially unplayable still. For those who think TOR is terrible, SimCity was sooooo bad that they literally had to give everyone who bought it a free game as compensation.
Yeah, I got that email - and then forgot to redeem my game.
Probably won't be the last screwup, but at least they've acknowledged it, which goes a long way for me - NCSoft just treated their loyal customers with complete silence beyond their initial "Due to a realignment of company focus we are shutting it down".
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!