Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you remember City of Heroes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Do you remember City of Heroes?

05.10.2013 , 10:59 PM | #1
I started playing CoH about 4yrs ago and subbed to it on and off every couple of months to see how the game was evolving. It was the game I played when I took a break from WoW. In it's last year, the game was doing alot better. At least, that's what it seemed like. But, with the lack of enthusiasm from Ncsoft (I do not honestly remember a single commercial for it) and claiming that CoH just wasn't in the program for the direction the company wanted to go, they canned it. They had planned that for a while but was seeing how much money they could make off of it before they did. They kept adding more and more stuff to the Cash Shop in that time. So, what does that have to do with Swtor?

Seems now all the new patches are not really patches as in fixes to the game. But, more of addons to the Cartel Market. Seems like the more crap they put into the Cartel Market the more bugs and stability issues arise. I brought up CoH because this is exactly where it looks like the game is headed. But, then again, Star Trek online is still active. So, I guess that there are enough Swtor fans to keep this game alive. (Still reeks of desperation if you ask me)

Vista. Remember that Nightmare? Don't care what any of you say, but Win 7 is just a stripped down modified Vista OS. Period. They came out with Win 7 cause they wanted us, the consumer, to pay for their screw up. Remember the first months of Swtor? They had nearly a hundred servers and the servers were almost always full. Now what do they have? A quarter of that if that. So, now we have to sub and pay for new game mechanics that comes standard with most other MMOs? I think, with all the f2p games out there, I'm going to have to call this my last game time sub. Maybe WoW , Eq2, DnD , LOTRO, Rift, may not be Swtor, but at least I don't have to worry about them going anywhere anytime soon or deal wtih the many stability issues and bugs that plagues SWTOR and shows that EA and Bioware are way out of their league.

I like SWTOR, I just don't like who's lap it got dumped into and how they are handling the game. Before I leave, I am on The Shadowlands server, I will liquidate all my acquired items and hand out the credits and maybe make a item or two for someone.

Good luck to the community that is staying hopeful that the game will get better. But, I doubt that. It is after all EA and it's not in the game.

May the force bring you many days of adventure in SWTOR and out.

05.10.2013 , 11:02 PM | #2
Not gonna wait to see what 2.2 brings? it will be the 1st content patch after RotHC (8-weekly cadence) 2.1 is just a cartel update & the 2 teams working on them are not the same guys.

I think you're jumping the gun a little early.
Mercenary 55 | Assassin 50 | Marauder 50 | Sniper 50 | Operative 55 | Sorcerer 55 | Powertech 51 | Juggernaut 55
Gunslinger 55 | Guardian 55 | Sage 55 | Vanguard 55 | Scoundrel 27 | Commando 22 | Sentinel 22 | Shadow 21

05.10.2013 , 11:11 PM | #3
I started playing when CoV came out but have to agree that it never should have been shut down. The only reason it was is due to greed and selfishness. I mean c'mon they didn't even tell the devs who ran it until the day of it's demise. I will continue to play ToR and hope it can improve. Btw are you on pub or empire side?
Darth Sypherius - The world means nothing to a dreamer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
By all means, please proceed to pull out your MMO walking stick and wave it.

05.10.2013 , 11:13 PM | #4
See, I completely Disagree. While I am sad that anyone would lose their job, I think the Mythic developers who got canned or removed from TOR were a big part of why the game crashed hard, and why we are still dealing with it.

They were big into WOW cloning. They were adamantly against players wearing what they wanted to wear. Recovered Hero's chestplate-looking armor on a Sith? Would never happen, they actually called it "dressing deceptively." (seriously wat is that is that?) and were pretty keen on the whole "appearance progression" which was later blamed on EA when it failed so hard.

That's just one example. IMO The game is gradually moving away from WoW-centrism and it's a shame it took this long to do it. Am I a fan of the microtransaction model? Hell no, but I like it better than their old model (Which was 'Let's put in a family tree and make tons of videos toutingit it despite that does absolutely nothing!')

So yeah, I remember City of Heroes. I was primarily a ****** villain, but he is gone forever. NCSoft sucks, that is all.

05.10.2013 , 11:18 PM | #5
Sorry to hear you are leaving, but I agree, June is not too far away, and I think they know what is riding on that update. There's quite a few people in the "wait and see" boat so you have company
Speaking of, I'm on shadowlands....i like stuff and things

05.10.2013 , 11:23 PM | #6
I played COH for 8 years, and COH was not the same game it was in the first few years of playing.

It matured a lot after the first few years, swtor is doing the same, nothing unusual with a MMO

It too had bugs from launch even 8 years on, and bugs re-introduced after patches

05.10.2013 , 11:33 PM | #7
I catch myself comparing this game to CoH a little too frequently; I say that because it's just not fair to compare other games to CoH. Not that it was perfect...but Paragon really knew how to run their game. Even when I was annoyed at an update, I could at least understand why it was done, and the Devs were really good about actively engaging the community. And that extra, personal touch really just improved the atmosphere of the game, and made it unique and marketable in a way I don't see from this game. That's really the saddest part...CoH was doing well when it was murdered, by defying the expectation this game seems to have, that you had to exploit your audience to turn a profit.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy this game, too. But I find myself enjoying it in spite of the decisions made on the part of the people behind it. The stuff I enjoyed from it when I started a year ago, I still enjoy. But I never really find myself looking forward to the updates, and the approach to the cash market has just been a flat out racket.

05.10.2013 , 11:59 PM | #8
I remember CoX. In fact, I'm one of the Lore Writers for the indie spiritual successor, Heroes and Villains.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.

05.11.2013 , 12:03 AM | #9
The door is that way >>>>
Trist, POT5

05.11.2013 , 12:17 AM | #10
You should keep in mind that this is EA, not NCSoft - EA owns Ultima Online after all, one of the oldest MMO's out there, who's got several years on CoH, and they still keep it running - heck they even come out with expansions for it now and then.
What NCSoft did was an attrocity, they shut down a game that was still profitable and that was on the rise again since going F2P - something the devs themselves have confirmed.
So have a little faith, despite EA's many flaws, they are not NCSoft.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.