Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Powertechs/Vanguards PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Powertechs/Vanguards PvP-wise?

dcgregorya
05.12.2013 , 11:48 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
problem is not the class being OP or requiring skill or not, nothing in this game requires skill. Problems is we lost one of the primary healer killer specs in SWTOR. Just notice what a healer fest has 2.0 become.

And no, bads were you guys, unable to beat PT before 2.0. On my Sniper, PT Pyro always was a joke, even before the 1.4 nerf.
I never had problems killing them. I did get annoyed that when I was doing rated the only things I was allowed to bring was my assault vanguard or combat sentinel or scoundrel heals. Hopefully if people ever start doing rated again en masse it'll be a bit more diverse.

Larry_Dallas
05.13.2013 , 12:20 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
problem is not the class being OP or requiring skill or not, nothing in this game requires skill. Problems is we lost one of the primary healer killer specs in SWTOR. Just notice what a healer fest has 2.0 become.

And no, bads were you guys, unable to beat PT before 2.0. On my Sniper, PT Pyro always was a joke, even before the 1.4 nerf.
After 1.4, very few classes weren't capable of 1 on 1 ing a pyro PT, provided the player knew what he was doing. Even lowly classes like Lightning sorcs could just wreck them. Off the top of my head, the only in-use specs that couldn't drop a pyro in a 1 on 1 were the three merc specs, the other two PT specs and sorc healers.

So yeah, I agree completely. There were OP classes before 2.0 but pyro PT wasn't one of them. Very considerable strengths and very considerable weaknesses. Only people having problems with them were the ones with low situational awareness. If he got 3 globals off before you noticed him and popped cooldowns to mitigate that initial burst (or, if ranged, got the fridge out of 10 m range), you're the bad, not the Pyro.

foxmob
05.13.2013 , 12:24 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
I never had problems killing them. I did get annoyed that when I was doing rated the only things I was allowed to bring was my assault vanguard or combat sentinel or scoundrel heals. Hopefully if people ever start doing rated again en masse it'll be a bit more diverse.
I don't think it will be. not for long, at any rate. fotm will always push out the rest of the pack. well, that's my prognostication.
Kracks and other assorted stuff on Jedi Covanent
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

dcgregorya
05.13.2013 , 12:32 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Larry_Dallas View Post

So yeah, I agree completely. There were OP classes before 2.0 but pyro PT wasn't one of them. Very considerable strengths and very considerable weaknesses.
The potency of stacking them and the nature of the burst/kite that Pyro had was ridiculous. If you didn't think it was ever going to get toned down you really don't know much about class balance. The few rated matches I did it was not uncommon to see 4-5 Pyro PTs on each side. That's a pretty good sign that something needs a nerf.

NoTomorrow
05.13.2013 , 12:36 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
The potency of stacking them and the nature of the burst/kite that Pyro had was ridiculous. If you didn't think it was ever going to get toned down you really don't know much about class balance. The few rated matches I did it was not uncommon to see 4-5 Pyro PTs on each side. That's a pretty good sign that something needs a nerf.
stacking is always a present issue in games like these. Right now we have healer stacking, op healer stacking, rage/focus stacking. Hell, even sniper stacking some times. I don't see how PT Pyro stacking is different from these.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

TheCourier-
05.13.2013 , 12:45 AM | #36
Most teams on Jedi Covenant stack medics and snipers. I rarely see assault vanguards and watchman sentinels. Both watchman and assault spec got hurt severely by recent patches.
Multiple characters on Pot5

Caeliux
05.13.2013 , 12:50 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
I don't think it will be. not for long, at any rate. fotm will always push out the rest of the pack. well, that's my prognostication.
^ You are right, give it time.

Something else with arise and a new wave of cry babies will call for nerfs.

It's a ugly cycle to watch unfold.

Astarica
05.13.2013 , 01:00 AM | #38
In the current heal-strong environment, of course Snipers are going to be the DPS of choice because if you don't plan on having anyone dying, you can fight very defensively and Snipers have to be the best defensive DPS in the game by design. If not, there's really no point for a class that basically can't move to exist if they aren't the #1 DPS while holding a static location. Currently you don't know even know if you'll ever be able to kill any healer so you certainly can't bother with the Sniper next to them. Likewise classes that are designed to be good at assaulting positions, like PTs, aren't very useful right now as basically nobody can actually assault a well defended position period.

But I think this is a problem due to heals being too strong and not a problem with the DPS classes themselves. Weaken the healers and you'd make turret classes (Snipers) weaker as you can no longer just play defensively, while classes that are excellent at attacking a position would be more desireable.

dcgregorya
05.13.2013 , 06:56 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Astarica View Post
In the current heal-strong environment, of course Snipers are going to be the DPS of choice because if you don't plan on having anyone dying, you can fight very defensively and Snipers have to be the best defensive DPS in the game by design. If not, there's really no point for a class that basically can't move to exist if they aren't the #1 DPS while holding a static location. Currently you don't know even know if you'll ever be able to kill any healer so you certainly can't bother with the Sniper next to them. Likewise classes that are designed to be good at assaulting positions, like PTs, aren't very useful right now as basically nobody can actually assault a well defended position period.

But I think this is a problem due to heals being too strong and not a problem with the DPS classes themselves. Weaken the healers and you'd make turret classes (Snipers) weaker as you can no longer just play defensively, while classes that are excellent at attacking a position would be more desireable.
Also worth noting that snipers with their alpha and healing debuff are kinda ideal right now. I do think they need to nerf healing a bit more or at least nerf 'spider healing'. But anyway, assault VG/Pyro PT was 500-600k every match, guaranteed, with little to no work. It was way too strong as a mobile RDPS to a point where it was silly to try DPS'ing as anything else.

Aelaias
05.13.2013 , 08:52 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Astarica View Post

Snipers can move very well. They are more mobile than some other "mobile" classes.
Shadowlands
Letho - Vanguard
Óberyn-Guardian
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-5e5489ff3b47