Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the point of my $15 a month?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the point of my $15 a month?

DarthTHC
05.13.2013 , 01:52 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
This is exactly what good consumers should do, and good companies should listen to them.

Not dictate, so much, but absolutely good consumers should ask companies for what they want. All the time. Especially if they feel they're not getting the value they expect.

Why?

The alternative is that a customer becomes a former customer. This is disappointing for the customer because they're left unsatisfied. This is disappointing for the company because they lose revenue.

Of course, unreasonable requests and such could happen, and it's up to the company to figure out what they can do to make their customers happy while making a reasonable profit.

The best way to figure out what you can do to make your customers happy is to *gasp* listen to them! (And interpret what they're saying they want vs. what they really want because those are frequently actually different things...)

You know... I'm going to expand on this and do something I don't often do and I don't mean quoting myself.

Early on, especially in game test, the development team was the absolute, dead nuts worst at listening to their players. There may have been a few confidantes that got attention, but for the most part just about everything the testers said fell on deaf ears and got no action. 90% of the testers could agree on some change that was necessary, and it still wouldn't get a word from the developers, let alone any action.

Things are night and day different here today.

We have a community team that communicates clearly and effectively. They share more information and more detail than at any point in the game's history. Far more. They still don't communicate as often as many of us might like, especially when all they really could say is, "no new news", but when they have something they tell us! And they tell us WHAT and WHEN. It's beautiful.

Beyond that, they legitimately take the community's concerns back to the development team, communicate them to the team accurately, and then come back to us with information. The information they come back with is not always exactly what we want. However, the fact that they come back with information means that the development team actually is hearing our concerns, considering them, and formulating a response.

THAT is a world ahead of where we were 12-18 months ago!

And here's the kicker...

Sometimes... sometimes... what we ask for actually happens. The developers actually DO it.

They're never going to turn on a dime. That's not the way development shops work. They can't. And they're never going to be able to give us all everything we want. There are limitations in the tech and, quite honestly, we frequently have desires that are diametrically opposed to each other's.

But they're listening. And talking. And making changes.

They're doing much better in this regard.

Maybe they'll take what we've said in this thread to heart and make some changes. Maybe they won't. But you can be certain they've heard what we've said - the developers, not just Eric & team - and considered it, and made the best decision they can given where they're at and where they're taking the game.

JimG
05.13.2013 , 02:38 PM | #222
If you don't think your sub is worth $15 per month....then do a little experiment. Drop your sub for a couple of weeks and see how it impacts your gameplay. If you don't notice a difference, then stay unsubbed as a preferred player and save yourself $15 per month.

This is exactly what good consumers should do, and good companies should listen to them.

Not dictate, so much, but absolutely good consumers should ask companies for what they want. All the time. Especially if they feel they're not getting the value they expect.
Except posting forum rants is not the same thing as telling the company what they want. If someone wants to let BW know what they think about the game, then send an email or letter to them. If someone wants attention, wants to vent or feels a need for validation of their thoughts or feelings, then they go into the general discussion forums and post a rant. Posting in the general discussion section of the forums is complaining to the rest of the community...not the company.
The best way to figure out what you can do to make your customers happy is to *gasp* listen to them!
You mean like adding more servers? Adding Oceanic servers? Consolidating servers? Making sprint and speeder levels accessible earlier? Reducing the cost of speeder training? Giving preferred players more quickbars? Adding the unify to chest option? Adding armor dyes? Granted some of those didn't work out too well....they probably shouldn't have listened to all the noise in the forums at launch about adding more servers or making Oceanic server. Others may not have worked out exactly the way people wanted....but the cries of "BW never listens to us" are nonsense. Just this week, people raised hell when BW said they weren't going to fix the hood bug with Revan's robes unless it became apparent that most people wanted that fix. Based on feedback, they re-considered their position and agreed to make the fix.

DarthTHC
05.13.2013 , 02:51 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
If you don't think your sub is worth $15 per month....then do a little experiment. Drop your sub for a couple of weeks and see how it impacts your gameplay. If you don't notice a difference, then stay unsubbed as a preferred player and save yourself $15 per month.

Except posting forum rants is not the same thing as telling the company what they want. If someone wants to let BW know what they think about the game, then send an email or letter to them. If someone wants attention, wants to vent or feels a need for validation of their thoughts or feelings, then they go into the general discussion forums and post a rant. Posting in the general discussion section of the forums is complaining to the rest of the community...not the company.

You mean like adding more servers? Adding Oceanic servers? Consolidating servers? Making sprint and speeder levels accessible earlier? Reducing the cost of speeder training? Giving preferred players more quickbars? Adding the unify to chest option? Adding armor dyes? Granted some of those didn't work out too well....they probably shouldn't have listened to all the noise in the forums at launch about adding more servers or making Oceanic server. Others may not have worked out exactly the way people wanted....but the cries of "BW never listens to us" are nonsense. Just this week, people raised hell when BW said they weren't going to fix the hood bug with Revan's robes unless it became apparent that most people wanted that fix. Based on feedback, they re-considered their position and agreed to make the fix.
They read the forums. They have a team in place to do that, to distill the wide range of player feedback, and to communicate it to the development team. Eric and company aren't here just to make us behave and ban us when we don't. I would suggest their MAIN job is two-way communication.

The forums are an absolutely legitimate, and maybe the BEST, way to give feedback to the development team.

Be careful with the whole "adding servers" thing. Those cost a lot. There's no way they did that solely because players wanted them. They had a plan in place that had population trigger points to add servers. They executed their plan.

The rest of the stuff, yep, they listened to our feedback and sometimes gave us what we asked for. Another that I don't think you mentioned was giving us back the "Classic" looks for some of the earlier Cartel Market gear.

Primarch_PWnD
05.13.2013 , 02:56 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
i dont understand how people think their sub pays for ccs and not this...

http://www.swtor.com/free/features
That's essentially a list of "things you can do in this game", not a list that backs-up any benefits.....

They say they take into account our "free" stipend when they calculate costs. Of course they do, if they price the stuff below our stipend, we won't have to buy any more coins; that they think they're pulling wool over our eyes is absurd, the evidence speaks volumes:

first outfits on the CM: 1200CC
next outfit, an jedi robe with hood down (something asked for since launch): 1440CC

And that was the first month the CM was open....

Yeah, they take our stipend into account; they make sure **** is more expensive than it so we have to buy more.

....and they want us thanking them for the free coins.....gee, with that attitude how could they have possibly have lost so many subs......
Rebel Alliance
Ancient Ones

Prophecy of the Five

CosmicKat
05.13.2013 , 02:57 PM | #225
They read the forums. They have a team in place to do that, to distill the wide range of player feedback, and to communicate it to the development team. Eric and company aren't here just to make us behave and ban us when we don't. I would suggest their MAIN job is two-way communication.

The forums are an absolutely legitimate, and maybe the BEST, way to give feedback to the development team.

Be careful with the whole "adding servers" thing. Those cost a lot. There's no way they did that solely because players wanted them. They had a plan in place that had population trigger points to add servers. They executed their plan.

The rest of the stuff, yep, they listened to our feedback and sometimes gave us what we asked for. Another that I don't think you mentioned was giving us back the "Classic" looks for some of the earlier Cartel Market gear.
Have to agree with pretty much everything in your last couple of posts.

Amyas
05.13.2013 , 02:59 PM | #226
More lost subs incoming
Space should be more than a mini game! Star Wars not ground wars!

Aries_cz
05.13.2013 , 03:00 PM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by Primarch_PWnD View Post
That's essentially a list of "things you can do in this game", not a list that backs-up any benefits.....

They say they take into account our "free" stipend when they calculate costs. Of course they do, if they price the stuff below our stipend, we won't have to buy any more coins; that they think they're pulling wool over our eyes is absurd, the evidence speaks volumes:

first outfits on the CM: 1200CC
next outfit, an jedi robe with hood down (something asked for since launch): 1440CC

And that was the first month the CM was open....

Yeah, they take our stipend into account; they make sure **** is more expensive than it so we have to buy more.

....and they want us thanking them for the free coins.....gee, with that attitude how could they have possibly have lost so many subs......
Ever heard about the revolutionary concept of saving up your money? I know it is shocking, but it has been proven that money just does not disappear each month if you do not spend it... in fact, it accumulates, until a point where you have enough to buy something you desire
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Amyas
05.13.2013 , 03:14 PM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Ever heard about the revolutionary concept of saving up your money? I know it is shocking, but it has been proven that money just does not disappear each month if you do not spend it... in fact, it accumulates, until a point where you have enough to buy something you desire
A paying subber should not have to hord points for something that should come with the sub.
Space should be more than a mini game! Star Wars not ground wars!

CosmicKat
05.13.2013 , 03:18 PM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by Amyas View Post
A paying subber should not have to hord points for something that should come with the sub.
And a game that has a history of terrible sub retention should be doing everything it can to enhance the value of subs.

OddballEasyEight
05.13.2013 , 03:44 PM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by Amyas View Post
Are you trying to tell me that all subbers should get all the things in the CM for free?
And i dont mean grinding for them, because you can still do that (just grind cash instead of grinding for random drops).

It seems to me that you think that we, the subscribers, should get all the stuff that comes out in the cartel market each month, for free.
Just because we are subscribers.

sounds kinda entitled.

we do get 500-600 CC's worth of free stuff each month... we just have to pick what to spend it on ourselves.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.