Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the point of my $15 a month?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the point of my $15 a month?

Turshek
05.10.2013 , 04:27 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by kanaughty View Post
Let's take Hulu for instance. You can pay or not pay the $8 a month, but you don't pay extra everytime their is a new Office episode that comes out. That is why I personally feel ripped off here by this game. We are paying for them to add the new content, so we should be able to enjoy it for free and not have to use our stipend on it.
The problem is you don't know where the money comes from.

What about people that sub AND spend money on the cartel market, shouldn't they have even more access to things than someone who's only paying for his sub ?

BW stance hasn't changed, content update is free (except expansion), customization is not.

Swaption
05.10.2013 , 04:36 AM | #12
Honestly I feel the only reason I sub (and not F2P) is the credit cap. Its cheaper to buy all the authorizations and weekly passes (which cost less than $15/1m ratio for buying cartel packs and reselling).
Kgu - Sniper | Kzg - Mercenary | K-g - Marauder

Callaron
05.10.2013 , 04:40 AM | #13
I figure I ought to point out that this is basically an extra update within the whole "eight weeks" release schedule, with another update coming early June (11th?) which won't be as Cartel Market focused - who knows, maybe they'll even include another area like Section X that is free for subscribers.
As annoying as it might be, most F2P MMO's actually charge you for recustomizations, as do the sub games that actually have it available;

WoW: You can change your hair and beard for in game gold, anything further than that and you pay Blizzard real money.
Aion: Changing your character requires you to buy a customization plastic surgery ticket from the store.
TERA: See Aion
TSW: Same deal as Aion and TERA
RIFT: Not a clue, never played past level 20 - anyone?
Neverwinter: Once again, bought from their store.
DDO: I don't think it was available when I played, unless it was included in the reincarnation items (which were bought from their store)
LOTR: Not a clue, never played it.
City of Heroes/Villains: In game credits - but the game is also shut down and R.I.P.

Like every other company they are going to follow the "industry standard" - so if other MMO's charge for re-customizations... yeah...
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Valdrius
05.10.2013 , 04:41 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ImperialHippy View Post
what you get ...

500 CC a month (so yeh the things in the store are free as long as you dont gamble your coins away)
12 character slots
The ability to send credits in mail between alts (this is a biggy for me)
No credit cap
Hide headslot / unify colours
6 quick bars
Unlimited warzones
Unlimited flashpoint rolls
Unlimited space missions
Artefact equipment
Event Equipment
Access to Operations
Access to things like Section X
Faster levelling & rested XP
Discounted expansions (assuming they continue that theme)
No restrictions on chat
Those "features" don't use enough resources to justify the price tag. A one month subscription is more than half the cost of the Hutt Cartel, which is why they can offer it at half price for subscribers.
Valtrius Malleus - Watchman Sentinal
Jrel Malleus - Kinetic Shadow
The Malleus Legacy <Unavailable> The Red Eclipse

KhealThar
05.10.2013 , 04:41 AM | #15
Stop subscribing and you'll see how much your 15$ makes a difference. If 15$ is that big of a deal to you, maybe you shouldn't be paying for a subscription?
The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers and mutineers.

LordArtemis
05.10.2013 , 04:41 AM | #16
I'm not going to list the differences, only say that convenience is the key. It is far more convenient to just pay the 15 bucks and avoid some of the draconian restrictions.

FreePrometheus
05.10.2013 , 04:51 AM | #17
Believe me, the Subscription benefits you get with this game are excellent compared to the F2P game i came from. I know i am using one game as an example here, but it is a good example of how Subs can be really screwed over.

I came from Star Trek Online. And frankly, its subscribtion model consists of
  • Priority Login
  • 3 Extra Character Slots
  • A small (and i mean small) amount of Zen (equiv of Cartel Coins) a month

Non-subscribers of that game get everything else and can purchase every of the above with bought "Zen".
We get a lot more. Plus the subscription fee is, if i remember rightly, is much more manageble on smaller incomes on SWTOR.

I'm not saying you, OP, are wrong. I am just pointing out that we are pretty well looked after as subscribers, compared to some others MMOs.

Regards
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. - Yoda

xorcist
05.10.2013 , 04:54 AM | #18
There's a couple of reasons why $15 per month may not cover it. One is that there aren't enough people subscribing to cover for their expensive development costs. EA spent a lot of money putting this game out. Investors blah blah blah wanted to see returns. When subs went down they cuts costs all around including firing staff and went free to play.

Hence the greedy money grubbing leach of a Cartel Market to make up the difference of unavailable subscribers. They are getting the money from the rest of us and some from the free to players. I agree that Subscribers should not have to pay full price for anything in the Cartel Market regardless of Cartel coins per month. It is such a small amount that getting most things worthwhile would take too long to accumulate.

As for the bile infested gambling packs, they are no doubt, the largest source of their income and also one of the dirtiest underhanded attempts to leach as much from customers as humanly possible. Seriously disgusting display of American greed. There will always be a sucker somewhere who will hand over a dump truck full of money for those packs, and they know it.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

Callaron
05.10.2013 , 04:57 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by FreePrometheus View Post
Believe me, the Subscription benefits you get with this game are excellent compared to the F2P game i came from. I know i am using one game as an example here, but it is a good example of how Subs can be really screwed over.

I came from Star Trek Online. And frankly, its subscribtion model consists of
  • Priority Login
  • 3 Extra Character Slots
  • A small (and i mean small) amount of Zen (equiv of Cartel Coins) a month

Subscribers of that game get everything else and can purchase every of the above with bought "Zen".
We get a lot more. Plus the subscription fee is, if i remember rightly, is much more manageble on smaller incomes on SWTOR.

I'm not saying you, OP, are wrong. I am just pointing out that we are pretty well looked after as subscribers, compared to some others MMOs.

Regards
Ah, Perfect World/Cryptic...
Yep, people that think Bioware/EA is greedy really need to play one of their games - where you don't have to buy the Cartel Packs, you get them stuffed into your inventory the whole time while playing... for free... except that you need to buy the keys to unlock them.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

FreePrometheus
05.10.2013 , 05:00 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
Ah, Perfect World/Cryptic...
Yep, people that think Bioware/EA is greedy really need to play one of their games - where you don't have to buy the Cartel Packs, you get them stuffed into your inventory the whole time while playing... for free... except that you need to buy the keys to unlock them.
Oh, please! dont remind me Those bloody boxes were the bane of my Starfleet career...
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. - Yoda