Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why do so few people like to play tanks in this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
why do so few people like to play tanks in this game.

Falensawino
05.07.2013 , 02:40 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthObelisk View Post
Just wondering why there are so few tanks in the que ?
Time.

I have one of each tank class, just don't have the time to play them.
Vanguard lv50 (doesn't have operation gear yet, hit 50 after 2.0, didn't get free tionese)
Juggernaut almost 50
Assassin almost 30
Guardian in 30s
Shadow almost 30
Powertech 30s (experimented with dps builds before 2.0; haven't touched him since 2.0)

Otherwise, I love playing a tank. I set the pace of the flashpoint. I can speed up or slow down as needed.
Don't have to deal with divas, tank hissy fits, or undergeared tanks.
The most wretched hive of troll and kiddies
Refer a Friend Link

VigDiath
05.07.2013 , 02:56 PM | #22
I tank on all 3 ACs but only have done it extensively on my Shadow. I prefer tanking and I can get all of my dailies/weeklies done on one day if I choose to. Usually that leaves me time to focus on my healers or dps the rest of the week so the only reason I would tank is if it is an Ops run or to help guildies. Really, after that the only reason to join a FP on my tank is to get better geared from drops (which is random) or comms.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

swtonewbie
05.08.2013 , 07:00 AM | #23
I came from tanking in WoW, and that was pretty much all i did for about 4-5 years. Did a lot of endgame raiding when the first and second expacs hit. But then i played SWTOR when it first came out and a lot of the mechanics just feel clunky. Even vanilla WoW had a better tanking feel to it then SWTOR does now. Of course back then tanks had a smaller toolkit when compared to todays games hehe (wait for 3 sunders!!!). But current WoW has just as much ability/skill bloat as SWTOR does.
I'm not really a noob...

HenerkinEisley
05.08.2013 , 07:54 AM | #24
I love my tank, but I will not pug ever.

Odlus
05.08.2013 , 08:19 AM | #25
I rarely do random groups with tank type characters in MMOs because I'm expected to know all of the content ahead of time and lead the group. My only character right now is a Guardian, I don't know the instances. I'm not going to interrupt my gaming time to watch a video or read a guide. And to top it all off, I've noticed that a lot of the players here seem to do the same thing I had to deal with in WoW, where I'm expected to tell everyone else what mobs they should CC. I'm still trying to learn my class, I'm not going to deal with playing everyone else's character for them too. Even when I tell them I'm new and I have literally no idea what other classes can do, I have to mark or there'll be no CC. Then I mark things and get "but I can only CC droids, why'd you assign me to a non droid omg."

No thanks.

Bytemite
05.08.2013 , 10:03 AM | #26
Tanking is fun for me, never done it much before, kinda like being in the thick of the fight and checking for broken cc or aggro loss and playing round up the stragglers.

But yeah there were times on my guardian on Taris where people would yell at me to take the aggro and I'd be thinking, but I am, I'm taunting every opportunity I can. So far I've been lucky, haven't had too many wipes so I haven't really been blamed for stuff. On the other hand I'm probably not that good and just compensate by overleveling for everything. And I also tend to solo the flashpoints if I can because I figure people will be more likely to get mad if I suck.

I don't know the other classes too well because I haven't played them too high, so I usually just ask if anyone has cc if a group looks tough. But beyond that I try not to tell people how to play, and I actually don't even know how to do that marking thing. I usually just ask if they're ccing left, right, or center instead.

Vyerix
05.08.2013 , 03:20 PM | #27
Most the classes I enjoy and play the most are tanks. My main four I play is a Guardian, Juggernaut, Powertech and Vanguard. I have always preferred an in your face type character. Most times grouping just p***** me off so I just don't bother as much.

tgokovenant
05.08.2013 , 11:32 PM | #28
I love tanking with my jugg. At the beginning of every FP with randoms I always explain, "cc the purple gear, no aoe til he's the only one left, focus fire on the flame, then the yellow reticle, and let me pull aggro first."
Everyone agrees and every FP runs smooth as silk. So far I haven't had any jerks who either didn't listen or blamed me for a wipe. Then again, I haven't been tanking very long.
Lek'saen (Sorcerer) | Lek'san (Marauder) | Lek'sara (PowerTech)
Red Eclipse

Kitru
05.09.2013 , 05:39 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthObelisk View Post
Just wondering why there are so few tanks in the que ?
Because there are only 3 tank capable ACs out of 8 for each side, all 3 of which have 2 other perfectly capable DPS specs as well. Purely based on numbers, assuming an absolutely even distribution between all specs and classes (which isn't true, but close enough for gov't work), there will be only 3 tanks for every 18 DPS. In reality, there are even *more* DPS than that for each tank because DPS is simply a more popular role.

As to why DPS is a more popular role, several reasons have already been brought up: DPS is a lower stress role that doesn't act as the default leader position or the first person most people blame when something goes wrong; people like to see big numbers, and tanks don't get those; getting tank gear is harder than DPS gear because a lot of the comm gear for tanks is utter rubbish and, unlike healer and DPS gear, doesn't have role interchangeable stats (only tanks use Shield, Abs, and Defense but both healers and DPS use Crit, Surge, Power, and Alac); properly played, a tank puts themself at the most risk, specifically at the mercy of the healer healing effectively (if the healer sucks, you're going to get a massive repair bill while everyone else only has a moderate one); etc.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

gorstram
05.09.2013 , 10:20 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Valdrius View Post
This.

Also, ive found a tank to be rather boring if everything goes smoothly, the same as with a healer who more often than not starts dpsing to pass the time, but if everything goes right for the dps, they start chaining up some attacks and their dps goes off the charts. It seems a good run depends on tanks and healers being bored while the dps have all the fun.
I find this statement to be true. I feel bad for healers, they don't get to experience any content. They're stuck watching health bars the entire time.