Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can I use the Security key from wow ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Can I use the Security key from wow ?

SithCrash
12.13.2011 , 01:34 PM | #11
I know you get those keyfobs with the CE version of the game, but as for buying one on their own, I guess they aren't available yet. I'm sure they will be shortly, probably right after launch on the 20th.

aprinsen
12.13.2011 , 01:35 PM | #12
Lol .. shows how much people know how these key generators actually work.

The key generators actually look (on surface) from the same manufactor and would not be too far fetched to be use the same algorithm..

Ofcourse its far more likely that they use their own independend algorithm.

But in the end it would not surprise me at all that the from swtor is exactly the same peice of hardware as the one from WOW.

That said linking the key from your wow security key to your swotr account is not that much far fetched as some above make sound.

Ofcourse that is assuming .. same manufacturer and same algorithm/implementation used.

Thank you for the clarification Cyda

Cyda
12.13.2011 , 01:43 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by aprinsen View Post
Thank you for the clarification Cyda
You're welcome. I agree they do look they same but like you say it will depend if they are the same model. (i.e. use the same algorithm) Need to get our hands on a CE one to check.

Colobulous
12.13.2011 , 01:45 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyda View Post
You're welcome. I agree they do look they same but like you say it will depend if they are the same model. (i.e. use the same algorithm) Need to get our hands on a CE one to check.
It'd depend on sharing the algorithm and the serial database.

Is it doable? Absolutely. Will they do it? For various reasons, no, no they will not.

aprinsen
12.13.2011 , 01:45 PM | #15
If they are a Digipass Go 6 type then it should work fine.

aprinsen
12.13.2011 , 01:48 PM | #16
I tried to input mine serial in there..

The error i got was

Quote:
Sorry, we couldn't find your serial number. Try again?
but it seems they only serial keys to be entered that they have sold.. They probably simply don't allow you to use keys bought through other distributors ..

Brightglade
12.13.2011 , 01:49 PM | #17
The key generators actually look (on surface) from the same manufactor and would not be too far fetched to be use the same algorithm..

Ofcourse its far more likely that they use their own independend algorithm.

But in the end it would not surprise me at all that the from swtor is exactly the same peice of hardware as the one from WOW.

That said linking the key from your wow security key to your swotr account is not that much far fetched as some above make sound.

Ofcourse that is assuming .. same manufacturer and same algorithm/implementation used.
The working of the fobs is well known. Theirs actually two main types from Verisign/Digipass. One is time based and changes each 30 seconds. The other changes each activation. Verisign's model requires payments to them for their authentication service.

Google has released the specs for a new and free, open model they are hoping that will gain traction. It has already received praise in the security field for its ease of use.
"When faced with a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
Mae West

SithCrash
12.13.2011 , 01:51 PM | #18
Perhaps a more relevant question is, do these key fobs work the way the WoW ones did originally, or the way they work now...

In other words, do you have to enter the key code every time you log in, or only when you log in from a new PC?

Colobulous
12.13.2011 , 01:53 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SithCrash View Post
Perhaps a more relevant question is, do these key fobs work the way the WoW ones did originally, or the way they work now...

In other words, do you have to enter the key code every time you log in, or only when you log in from a new PC?
That's not a key fob issue, that's an issue for the log-in server, which can be set anyway they damn well like.

Brightglade
12.13.2011 , 01:54 PM | #20
I tried to input mine serial in there..

The error i got was

but it seems they only serial keys to be entered that they have sold.. They probably simply don't allow you to use keys bought through other distributors ..

Each authenticator has a unique identifying serial number that is matched up to database entry. Each game will have a serial number range that their customers are using. When you submitted your code, your account did not have a fob associated with it. Nothing to verify.
"When faced with a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
Mae West